Hesed - God's lovingkindness

HisManySongs

Passed on, February 28, 2022
Hesed - God's lovingkindness

From Michael Card's online devotional Michael Card:

At the heart of understanding hesed lies the notion that it is unmerited, undeserved, un-earnable. This facet of hesed is what the New Testament calls "grace."

Jesus spent so many of his parables trying to define hesed for us. The emotional power of the parable of the prodigal son comes from the unexpected forgiveness of the father. (Lk 15:11-32) The twist of the parable of the good Samaritan is that the person who was not obliged to give anything, gave it all! (Lk. 10:30-37) "Unmerited." "Impossible to earn." God will not wash His hands of us because of His surprising hesed.

Hesed teaches us that a supremely untranslatable word can only be understood when it becomes "enfleshed," translated into a living person. Through the Incarnation of Jesus, hesed was at last perfectly defined. But the call of God for you and me is to continue that incarnating in our own lives. Within the two simple syllables of this indefinable word lay all the richness of the grace and mercy of God. When circumstances cause us to question His hesed, we invariably reach out through lament. And somehow, through the mystery of lament, we find it again... Which is to say we find Him again.
Hesed in the Old Testament expressed God's love for His people.

This love would be poured out in the New Testament as agape.

For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.
There is no way we can fully comprehend what transpired on that hill nearly 2000 years ago.

Love (hesed, agape) became flesh and walked among us.

Love took on ALL our sins and died that we might truly live.

Hallelujah!!

There is no way we can fully comprehend what transpired on that hill nearly 2000 years ago.

Hallelujah!!

AMEN!!! and AMEN!! God loves us so much that He gave His only begotten Son. God sent His Son to die for us and we didn't even know HIM. He loved us first. The Love that God has for us is unsearchable. It is far more than we can ever imagine.

Hallelujah

I'm forgiven,
because You were forsaken,
and I'm accepted, You were condemed,
and I'm alive and well your spirit is within me,
because You died and rose again.
(I'm forgiven)
I'm forgiven,
because You were forsaken,
and I'm accepted, You were condemed,
and I'm alive and well your spirit is within me,
because You died and rose again.