Hezekiah's Tunnel

I thought I might collect the information I posted else where concerning Hezekiah, see links below, and tie it altogether with the inscription found at Hezekiah's tunnel site. This archaeological site is also know as the Siloam tunnel.

There are two passages that reference the tunnel. Of course it is never called Hezekiah's Tunnel in the O.T.

"The rest of the deeds of Hezekiah and all his might and how he made the pool and the conduit and brought water into the city, are they not written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Judah?" (2 Kings 20:20)

"This same Hezekiah closed the upper outlet of the waters of Gihon and directed them down to the west side of the city of David." (2 Chronicles 32:30)

Outside the Bible, the event is also mentioned in Sirach 48:17.

"Hezekiah fortified his city, and brought water into its midst;
he tunneled the rock with iron tools, and built cisterns for the water."

At the site an inscription was found describing the construction of the tunnel. Below is a plaque with a replica of the inscription.
Siloam11.jpg
001-scaled.jpg
Screen Shot 2024-05-19 at 7.09.32 AM.png

Below is a translation of the inscription.

(1) [. . .] the tunneling. And this is the narrative of the tunneling: While [the stone-cutters were wielding]

(2) the picks, each toward his co-worker,the picks, each toward his coworker, and while there were still three cubits to tunnel through, the voice of a man was heard calling out

(3) to his co-worker, because there was a fissure in the rock, running from south [to north]. And on the (final) day of

(4) tunneling, each of the stonecutters was striking (the stone) forcefully so as to meet his co-worker, pick after pick. And

(5) then the water began to flow from the source to the pool, a distance of 1200 cubits. And 100

(6) cubits was the height of the rock above the head of the stone-cutters.
maxresdefault.jpg

Back