His Name In Vain

His Name In Vain

One of the guys stood up in church and said that he was angry because people were always telling him that he was sinning, when he wasn't.

It wasn't a sin, he said, to smoke...it's one of the non-deadly sins, he said, because God made tobacco for man's enjoyment. But there's already a thread about that one - I'd like to turn to the next thing he said.

I'm not going to write the word here, I believe that it's a bad word. But he said that it isn't taking the Lord's name in vain...because God can (curse) something, it wasn't a curse-word. You know the word I'm talking about?

It's a word that I won't allow in my home. It's a word that I don't use myself. It's a word that, in my faith, I shouldn't have to listen to other people use when they're in my office or in my home or within earshot.

I believe that it is using the Lord's name in vain. So I don't do it.

dictionary.referene.com/browse/vain defines "vain" as:

excessively proud of or concerned about one's own appearance, qualities, achievements, etc.; conceited: a vain dandy.

proceeding from or showi8ng personal vanity: vain remarks.

ineffectual or unsuccessful; futile: a vain effort.

without real significance, value, or importance; baseless or worthless: vain pageantry; vain display.

Archaic. senseless or foolish.

-idiom
in vain,
a without effect or avail; to no purpose.
b in an improper or irreverent manner: to take God's name in vain.

The pastor (the guy's brother) agreed. It wasn't taking the Lord's name in vain, and it wasn't one of the "deadly" sins.

:eek:

Thoughts?

I agree with you WW.

Just because God can curse something/someone (and He has) doesn't mean that we should be essentially telling Him to curse something/someone. He is soveriegn...we do not command Him. If he is not using it as a curse for something/someone then it is in vain.

So either way, this person is wrong in using this phrase.

In addition to this....

Romans 12:14
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.

I hear such foul words daily, that my 30 minute commute is cleansing time for my mind & heart.

When I hear a person using the Lord's Name in vain I usually tell them " hey, He doesn't use your name in vain'.

Is saying "Oh my God" using the Lord's name in vain? I've heard different opinions on this one. I have to say-it is a habit of mine. And I don't use it in a malicious way. More like, "Oh my God, I love that dress!" etc

Is saying "Oh my God" using the Lord's name in vain? I've heard different opinions on this one. I have to say-it is a habit of mine. And I don't use it in a malicious way. More like, "Oh my God, I love that dress!" etc

I know you say it innocently enough. but in honesty, it really is taking His name in vain.
In no way are you glorifying Him when you say it and many, many people have this habit.
People don't usually even realize they do it~

With love, Violet

That's scary. I'm guilty of that.

I've been concentrating really hard on saying something else, like Gosh! Golly! Or even yeeesh!

You think it's still bad when we substitute another word for it?

Like Kathy Bates on Delores Claybourne? She said "Cheese -n- Crackers!"

:confused:

We'll start sounding like that Orbitz chewing gum commercial: "You son of a biscuit-eating bulldog! What the french, toast!?"

It cleaned another dirty mouth!

WW, I used to innocently say it too..that's how I know!

No, there isn't anything wrong with using another word...
it would be far better, I think!:)

I don't believe it's taking the Lord's name in vain. I believe it's asking God to D*** something or somebody, and that's just as wrong, in my book. But I don't think it falls under the category of taking His name in vain.

That's like what the pastor said.

He said taking His name in vain would be calling out to Him without meaning it, without feeling it in your heart.

That's why I was asking...was I under the wrong assumption all these years?

Still, I try to watch my language.

Saying this does not feel right to me either, but God is not our Creator's name it is a "title" created by man. The creator of the Universe I believe has a name which is YHVH.
I know I will be corrected, but I though I would put it out there.

I guess I'll go with the Better-Safe-Than-Sorry logic. I mean I'm trying to break many old habits, what's one more? :D Whether it's using His name in vain, or not...it can't hurt to use a different term, right?;)

Saying this does not feel right to me either, but God is not our Creator's name it is a "title" created by man. The creator of the Universe I believe has a name which is YHVH.
I know I will be corrected, but I though I would put it out there.

Hey, I believe you, too. I think we've given God the name God because of course He is our Loving God! (I love you very much God!) and that is really what we would call any higher being, right? Not that they are real and stuff, but you know, the other religion's gods had their own names other than "God", and like you said, I think God's true name may be YHVH. Whatever those letters truly mean, who knows? Maybe when we get to His new Kingdom we'll find out, woo!:p

...but when we refer to "God", we know Who we mean, right?

The sin is taking place in our hearts, not with our lips. Ya know?

Anyway, I was taught when i was little that nobody knows God's true name but God Himself.

For some reason, over the years, that's always been a great comfort to me.:)

So really, if someone yells out 'oh my God' but in their hearts they are literally crying out in desperation, that is quite different to someone using the name of God as an expletive to express a point?

one of the problems I always had with someone using the phrase in question was that it seemed blasphemous and arrogant to think that anyone is in some position to tell God to d**mn something. God doesn't ask "how high?" when someone yells "jump!" ..... or when they yell some other word, telling God what to do, God doesn't snap to attention and go right on ahead and d**mn whatever it is they are telling God to d**mn!!! If a person is a Christian and using this phrase, I think they are way off base and are in fact taking the Lord's name in vain... for they are taking a precious name, and throwing it around in an irreverent way, when they lose their temper for instance. And if they are angry and losing their temper, they are sinning in the first place, they definitely are not honoring God by yelling out *** ***** **!!! And I cannot think of any circumstance where I have EVER heard someone say God d**mn it!! in a nice, calm respectful way! And I have to say that the pastor you are speaking about seems very immature and shallow. I would love to see him defend his view by appealing to the Bible itself, and then further, to defend it by proving it by showing examples of its approved usage in church history!!! LOL!!!.... and proving it by looking at how the great biblical scholars of today and days past dealt with this issue. To think anyone of them would have approved your pastor or his brother using that phrase is ludicrous!! They are blaspheming and I would confront your pastor by asking him to defend his practice by showing you where in the Bible this practice occurred, and by showing in church history where great men and women of God regularly used the phrase "God d**mn it!" in some deeply reverent spiritual God-honoring way. If they can't defend it, and they won't be able to, I would encourage you to give them a chance to repent and change their views. If they refuse to do so, I would shake the sand from your sandals and find another much more thoroughly God-honoring church where they revere the name of the Lord, and don't toss it around as some form of stress release or as an outlet for their anger.

blessings,
Ken

So really, if someone yells out 'oh my God' but in their hearts they are literally crying out in desperation, that is quite different to someone using the name of God as an expletive to express a point?

I think the attitude behind the vocalization is everything. Jesus said that it is not what goes into a man that defiles him, but rather what comes out. So if a person yells "my God!" and they do so in some sense reminiscent of Thomas' great confession ion John 20:28 "My Lord and my God!" then certainly this is appropriate since it is a form of praise and honor. If a person uses this phrase in a way that is demeaning or shallow, then it doesn't glorify God, and since it is a general common sensical principle to not do those things which do not glorify God, if you are using phrases like the ones we are speaking of in a God-honoring way, then one ought to cease from using them. For these phrases either glorify God or they don't, there is no middle ground. And why would a Christian want to do anything that doesn't glorify their God, their Lord, their Savior?

blessings,
Ken

Agreed Ken- it is the heart of the intent He measures.

All of this, each contribution and opinion, has answered my question.

All of you, brothers and sister, have put my own heart to rest over this.

God bless all of you.

:)

Leviticus 19:12 "Do not swear falsely by my name and so profane the name of your God. I am the LORD."

Matthew 5:33-37 "Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one."

This is the word of God.

It seems quite clear and simple to me. It should also seem clear and simple to your friend and most especially his Pastor.

We are not talking about calling on just any name. We are speaking of the Great I Am.

Our Righteous, perfect, eternal, omnipotent, magnificent creator.

Everything we are, ever have been and ever will be, we owe to God.
All our feelings of love, respect, joy, appreciation, are His gracious gifts to us.

Doesn't His name deserve more respect than to be cast about like any other?

Not only is His name to be treated with the utmost loyalty and honor, but we should by our own merits, remove our shoes and bow in it's presence when it is spoken.

That is the name we are speaking of.

Back