Holy Spirit ---- The Gift

Dusty

Inactive
Holy Spirit ---- The Gift

Acts 1-4…… Wait for the Holy Spirit

On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about

What is this gift ? The Holy Spirit is not a formula , not a power but a Person . The Holy Spirit is not a reward but He is a gift .

Praise God … This gift comes with an extended warranty…. Think about it . We are promised and guaranteed, just like when we purchase a store bought article and the salesman says “ Would you like an extended warranty ? “ Wow , God has a better offer . His has a promise that will never run out .

Acts 2: 39 ….. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."

Acts 1:8…… But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

When we have the Baptism of the Holy Spirit ; we are given the courage and patience to enter our Samaria ( The place where God sends us ) whether it be our neibourhood , our city or the world . He will provide for us .

With the Holy Spirit we will elevate Christ and draw people to salvation . We will be able to discern false spirits , confront demonic powers , and people will follow Christ instead of Charismatic leaders .

Acts 8: 1-8……. Those who had been scattered preached the word wherever they went. 5Philip went down to a city in Samaria and proclaimed the Christthere. 6When the crowds heard Philip and saw the miraculous signs he did, they all paid close attention to what he said. 7With shrieks, evilspirits came out of many, and many paralytics and cripples were healed. 8So there was great joy in that city.

Acts 11:17 …… So if God gave them the same gift as he gave us, who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could oppose God?"

Because Peter had seen the vision from God of the large sheet and God told him that “ nothing is impure that God made clean” , I think Peter was explaining that the Holy Spirit is a gift for everyone . When peter began to speak the Holy Spirit came upon them ( the Gentiles ) just as the Lord had said “ John baptized with water but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit .

Because Peter had seen the vision from God of the large sheet and God told him that “ nothing is impure that God made clean” , I think Peter was explaining that the Holy Spirit is a gift for everyone .

Another perspective:

Peter was referring to food:

Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air
And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean
Acts 10:13-14

Israelites were prohibited to eat certain kinds of food.

But when Christ came he cleaned them:

American Standard Version
because it goeth not into his heart, but into his belly, and goeth out into the draught? This he said , making all meats clean.
Mark 7:19

Basically, God is asking Peter to eat these food because they are now clean:

But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Thanks John .... That is also a good point and a way to look at it in the natural , but I think that spiritually God was also tellling the Israelites they needed to clean up their lives.

View the thread in Bible Study ..... http://www.christianforumsite.com/bible-studies/28397-clean-unclean.html

Peter was shown that the Jewish law that they still followed on the Day of Atonement was ablished when Jesus died for them .

Christians understand what made them pure and clean was the death of Jesus Christ .... Mark 10:45.

Jesus Blood was poured out for the forgiveness of sins Matthew 26: 28 and the Blood cleanses us from all sin 1 John 1:7

The death of Jesus makes it possible for all believers to be with God, and makes our hearts and minds pure through the Holy Spirit .... Heb 10: 19-22.

Peter was shown that the Jewish law that they still followed on the Day of Atonement was ablished when Jesus died for them .

Christians understand what made them pure and clean was the death of Jesus Christ .... Mark 10:45.

Jesus Blood was poured out for the forgiveness of sins Matthew 26: 28 and the Blood cleanses us from all sin 1 John 1:7

The death of Jesus makes it possible for all believers to be with God, and makes our hearts and minds pure through the Holy Spirit .... Heb 10: 19-22.
Good points all. Those above, I agree :)

Yes salvation and the gift of the Holy Spirit is for ALL people. That's what Peter's vision was about. Jesus many times spoke of natural things to help them better understand what He was saying.

They did not believe in eating certain animals saying they were unclean. They also believed the gentiles were unclean and would have nothing to do with them. But the Lord was showing them it was ok to go preach to the gentiles and they too could recieved the Lord.

Thats why they were so surpirsed that while Peter was preaching Jesus, the Spirit fell on the gentiles and they recieved the Holy Spirit and heard them speak in an unknown tongues the same as they did. In their heart they believed that was preached, they received Jesus , then and the Lord filled them with the Spirit.

Acts 10:44While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 48And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Back