Holy Spirit Who?

There are a lot of beliefs and ideas that float around about what/who the Holy spirit is. This can cause a lot of confusion in people's minds about who/what is the Holy spirit's purpose. Why did Jesus send the Holy Spirit to the disciples on the day of Pentecost?

What are people's thoughts on this?

In peace

There are a lot of beliefs and ideas that float around about what/who the Holy spirit is. This can cause a lot of confusion in people's minds about who/what is the Holy spirit's purpose.

I believe Jesus said it best of what the Holy Spirit is and His/Its purpose in John 14:26: "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost (remember this!), whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."

Just a few verses prior (the whole chapter, really), Jesus is comforting those who are following Him as Jesus is sharing His future departure, ensuring that they continue to do the things He has commanded/said to them.

In short, the Holy Spirit will bring back to our memory the things Jesus said. That is the purpose. The Words of the Lord Jesus the Christ.

Why did Jesus send the Holy Spirit to the disciples on the day of Pentecost?

That was not the first time the disciples received the Holy Spirit though. Again, in the Gospel of John, Jesus said, "Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained." - John 20:21-23.

Though, to answer your question, I believe Jesus sent the Holy Spirit on Pentacost for the purpose of transmitting a message to many people of many nations.

The book of Acts opens up with, "The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach. Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles (again, see John 14) whom he had chosen: To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God. - Acts 1:1-3

Continuing on in Acts 2:5-6 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

And finally the result of this is in verse 41, "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. (Praise God!!!)

The reason Jesus sent the Holy Spirit at Pentacost is because it is what He instructed His disciples to do to show He (Jesus) was true in what He said. Like Jesus said in Matthew 28:19-20, "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

Which is what happened at the end of Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Though, Marks Gospel account goes into a bit more detail of what Jesus said was to come; reflecting EXACTLY what happened at Pentacost. "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. - Mark16:15-17

Pentacost is a recorded account showing that what Jesus said is absolutely true! With that account being evident, it brings to question; what else did Jesus say throughout His 3 year ministry that is also true?

In peace and Love

The Holy Spirit is also Father's power and The One Who brings His Word to pass. And the third person in the Godhead.

He is our Comforter, our Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener and Standby (John 14:26 ampc)
He not only causes Jesus Words to come to our remembrance, but also is the Spirit of Truth, our personal connection to The Father, The One Who convicts and convinces the world about sin and righteousness (uprightness of heart and right standing with Father) and judgement. (John 16:8-11)

He guides us into all truth ... He never speaks His own message on His own authority, but takes what He hears from The Father and reveals it to us (John 16:13-15)

He was sent to the disciples on the day of Pentecost to give them empowerment to fulfill The ministry that He gave them to do. So any time we are gearing up for ministry we should follow their example and wait on the empowerment (filling/baptism) of the Holy Spirit. For without Him we cannot fulfill what Jesus commanded us to do at the end of mark and also in John 14:12

Blessings

There are a lot of beliefs and ideas that float around about what/who the Holy spirit is. This can cause a lot of confusion in people's minds about who/what is the Holy spirit's purpose. Why did Jesus send the Holy Spirit to the disciples on the day of Pentecost?

I would be interested in hearing what your thoughts are ConsiderHisAwe, that is, if you would be inspired to share.

In peace and Love

I would be interested in hearing what your thoughts are ConsiderHisAwe, that is, if you would be inspired to share.

In peace and Love

I asked this question because I was trying to work this out myself. I didn't have an answer; all I had was a lot of pastors and preachers telling me what they thought. It wasn't until I read your post , lookingforsheep, that it all started to make sense. I started to read the four gospels and find other times Jesus talked about His spirit in connection to His teachings. That is when I read John 6:63, "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." It all started to click when I started reading the scriptures in light of the Holy spirit's main purpose was to remind us of what Jesus taught.

It dawned on me that I couldn't even name 5 of Jesus' teachings that He taught during His 3 year ministry. This made me think, "what have I been learning all my years in church?" If I couldn't remember the words of my Lord Jesus, then what else have I been missing during my time "studying The Bible"?

Thanks very much for your post, it really made me contemplate how much I actually know Jesus, but ignited a flame to want and know Jesus even more.

In peace

We are to be a Spirit Led people.
This means every area of our lives.
Its way more then just remembering what Jesus taught while on this earth.

Its not about the brain or memory or natural understanding.

In peace
My thought is that we cannot accurately consider any part of the Trinity without considering all the parts. Here is what works for me:

We were created in the image of God (Father, Son, Spirit). I conceive this to mean we are also in three parts - mind, body, emotions - corresponding to how we imagine the three parts of the Trinity to be: Father- mind of God, Son - body of God, Spirit - emotions of God.

But does this view correspond with Scripture, in particular at Pentecost? I think so.

Genesis 1:26-28 King James Version (KJV)
26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Almost everybody turns this verse around, thinking that it says God looks like a man. No no, God is a spirit: His image is another spirit. Adam and Eve had spirit. It was not a spirit of everlasting life, and it was not within; it was only upon, and it was conditional on their obedience to the command. A&E also had dominion over the world and all its animals. When they disobeyed their spirits died and Satan received dominion over the world.

Genesis 3:15 King James Version (KJV)
15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

There you see the first prophecy of the coming savior who will restore spirit to mankind. Throughout the old testament, prophets had spirit UPON them, and it was conditional. It was not available to have spirit born within. That is what Jesus did for us.

Back