Holy Water

Holy Water

Ive heard alot of people say that Holy Water shouldnt be used for some reason or another. But I say, why not? This might be because some preachers 'bless' the water rather than God. But if you ask God yourself to bless the water, then isnt it still alright?

"Holy water" is a denominational "creation and tradition of man"... it is not scriptural, as such, as it is used today by one denomination in particular. Today's denomonational usage has no basis in scripture.

Taking information from "GotAnswers.com", this is what is stated and this is what is factual:

The Bible is silent about holy water the way it is used today. For baptism, Matthew 3:11 speaks of "baptizing with water for repentance," with nothing in the context suggesting that the water itself is holy. Baptism is a symbolic ritual, identifying yourself with Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. A closer parallel to the modern use of holy water would be God's laws in the Old Testament, which require cleaning ritually unclean things with water to purify them before you can touch them (see Leviticus 15, 16, and 17:15). See also a specific reference to ritually unclean people found at Numbers 19:17.

We tollerate the traditions of others, but those denominational traditions that are not based in scripture can be misleading or even a false teaching.

The vast majority of Christians are familiar with the "Oil of Our People"... Olive Oil, which is used for Anointing. Anointing Oil must be blessed by God before it is used. After setting a small amount aside in a dedicated container, we pray to God in the name of Jesus Christ to Bless the oil, and we state to Him that it will only be used for anointing. Anointing oil IS scriptural and our Savior's name in Greek means, "The Anointed One".

Water is water is water- there is nothing holy about it. You can be holy to God by the sanctifacation of His Spirit.

:D:eek::p- or anointed hankies? LOL- sharks seem to swim in every kind of water- Christian ponds are no different in that aspect.

Well .......sometimes Chrsitians hang in aquariums and they are heated and have charcoal filters...the heaping of hot coals and all............smiles

"Holy water" is a denominational "creation and tradition of man"... it is not scriptural, as such, as it is used today by one denomination in particular. Today's denomonational usage has no basis in scripture.

Taking information from "GotAnswers.com", this is what is stated and this is what is factual:

We tollerate the traditions of others, but those denominational traditions that are not based in scripture can be misleading or even a false teaching.

The vast majority of Christians are familiar with the "Oil of Our People"... Olive Oil, which is used for Anointing. Anointing Oil must be blessed by God before it is used. After setting a small amount aside in a dedicated container, we pray to God in the name of Jesus Christ to Bless the oil, and we state to Him that it will only be used for anointing. Anointing oil IS scriptural and our Savior's name in Greek means, "The Anointed One".

Great answer - can't add much to it. Holy water was a viable OT cleansing agent. The people and Temple were cleansed with it. It was sping water [living water] mixed with the ashes of the red heifer - which is symbolic of Christ. I'm not aware that this kind of practice is viable under the NT.

I won't say anything against the tradition of using holy water, but I do think it's not necessary according to the New Testament, because Jesus provides us with "living water".
(John 4:13-14)

I've personally seen the power of anointing oil, but I've yet to see anything that proved "holy water" to be effective..in the Christian world at least. I'd be pretty wary of it because I know that many, many magick incantation begin with 'blessed' water.

You faith is what matters most....

Wether it be water or oil or rice maybe even crackers if you believe that God will use whatever the item maybe to heal or please you then fine. It is your faith that matter not the item used. People get too hung up on the silly stuff. You faith is what matters most, if you believe it is God using water to heal you and you have faith not in the water or oil but Jesus Christ then your healed go on a recieve it in Jesus name. It is your FAITH that makes you whole not the water or oil or whatever. I dont know about the whole "holy Water" because wat makes water holy?? Blessed water I can understand but not Holy.

I prayed over my lunch, it is sanctified- I think the point is that the water is in of itself nothing special .

Ive heard alot of people say that Holy Water shouldnt be used for some reason or another. But I say, why not? This might be because some preachers 'bless' the water rather than God. But if you ask God yourself to bless the water, then isnt it still alright?

Dear EndTimeZSouljah,

May God be with you!

Very creative name!!!!

Holy water is a means of spiritual wealth -- a sacramental that remits venial sin. The Church strongly urges its use, especially when dangers threaten. The devil hates holy water because of its power over him. He cannot long abide in a place or near a person that is often sprinkled with this blessed water.

I have several Holy Water wall fonts in my home. We use them before nighttime prayers to bless ourselves.

The blessing put on the holy water is done by the priest through the power of God. So in essence it is God blessing the water.

God bless you!

I do not find anything in my Bible that speaks of holy water and believe sometimes that different denominations will focus on certain things to take away from real Biblical meaning. If it is not in the Bible then, I don't think I will follow. No man can bless water an call it holy. My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ is the only one I can call " HOLY."

Acts 11:16
Then I remembered what the Lord had said: 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'

I do not need water when I am baptized in the Holy Spirit.

Some burn candles, some use water but the power is always in the manifested presence of God.

Back