Honor Thy Father And Mother

Well, that stinks. Parents need to advise their children but not be a nusiance if the choice is not what they like.
My first serious girlfriend was Mexican (and quite dark skinned), I got no end of nonsense about that from my parents
(though my father joked he wanted first night rights, which I did not find funny AT ALL).
She dumped me for a Mexican boy.

So, just to spite my parents, I married an Indian girl 10 years later (though she was not quite so dark skinned).

My wife is Puerto Rican. I don't know if that had anything to do with it though. I think my mother just hated that I was going to leave the house. She wanted me to get married and live in the basement. She's psychotic.

I haven't read up to 2 Timothy 1 yet, but I don't think praying for the dead does anything. Once they're dead they are either in heaven or hell.

Protestants are too hung up on the notion of "time".

God knows the where/what/whys of every prayer that has ever or will ever be spoken.
Don't you think that He could take the good intentions of a prayer said today and apply it to a person in need 20 years ago?

You would do well to read the biographies of the saints. You would learn that this world and the next are not as simple as many would have you believe, nor are things as cut and dried

It is tradition in both the RCC and Orthodox churches to pray for the dead.
In 2 Timothy 1 Paul prays for Onesiphorus who had died.
Maccabees also supports the practice.

My father could use all the help he can get, most of his life he was not a religious man and only turned
towards God after his health failed him.

That confuses me. Once someone is deceased the game is over. How can you pray them into heaven?

Yep. I always hate this question because others seem to have a good relationship with their parents and I have nothing. My mother and maternal grandmother have disowned me and my father would never go against my mother. He talks to me but he lies and feeds her information, which I assume is the only reason he talks to me. It's wonderful. My parents, who always said they'd love me, disowned me because I wouldn't leave my fiance(who is now my wife).
I'm sorry to hear that. If they disowned you though, then it is probably a blessing you don't have to deal with them. Just continue to pray for them.

My wife is Puerto Rican. I don't know if that had anything to do with it though. I think my mother just hated that I was going to leave the house. She wanted me to get married and live in the basement. She's psychotic.

Parents very often have a difficult time accepting that their children have grown up and need lives of their own.
Being married and living under your parents roof is a great way to drive a young wife crazy.

God knows the where/what/whys of every prayer that has ever or will ever be spoken.
Don't you think that He could take the good intentions of a prayer said today and apply it to a person in need 20 years ago?

You would do well to read the biographies of the saints. You would learn that this world and the next are not as simple as many would have you believe, nor are things as cut and dried
I'm sorry I don't understand what you're trying to say?

That confuses me. Once someone is deceased the game is over. How can you pray them into heaven?

You cannot "pray someone into Heaven". Though you can shorten their purgatory (for those that subscribe to the notion).

Yep. I always hate this question because others seem to have a good relationship with their parents and I have nothing. My mother and maternal grandmother have disowned me and my father would never go against my mother. He talks to me but he lies and feeds her information, which I assume is the only reason he talks to me. It's wonderful. My parents, who always said they'd love me, disowned me because I wouldn't leave my fiance(who is now my wife).

Psa 27:10 For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the LORD will take me in.

Parents very often have a difficult time accepting that their children have grown up and need lives of their own.
Being married and living under your parents roof is a great way to drive a young wife crazy.
My mother is addicted to pills and she was really controlling even before that. I'm just happy it happened early (when I was 17) rather than later. I was kicked out and never even thought about going back. It was a very painful experience but I think it happened the best way it could have.

I suspect honoring one's parents can be just as difficult of a struggle as loving your enemy, especially when your parents are in fact your enemies.

I'm blessed to have the parents I have, so I can't speak from experience. But I really give credit to those who honor their parents even when they would seem like the last people who deserve honor.

I suspect honoring one's parents can be just as difficult of a struggle as loving your enemy, especially when your parents are in fact your enemies.

I'm blessed to have the parents I have, so I can't speak from experience. But I really give credit to those who honor their parents even when they would seem like the last people who deserve honor.
This is such a good topic to discuss. Because Lord teaches us many spiritual things based on wordly things. We can learn a lot about relationship with our heavenly Father by understanding our relationship with earthly father. Just saying. Me bringing up my daughter has been giving me some amazing spiritual insight.

This is more confusing. What would happen if we all prayed that Hitler never came into power. Would the history books change before our eyes? If they did then we wouldn't know about it and wouldn't say the prayer in the new time line.

It's a causality paradox.

This is more confusing. What would happen if we all prayed that Hitler never came into power. Would the history books change before our eyes? If they did then we wouldn't know about it and wouldn't say the prayer in the new time line.

It's a causality paradox.
Enough.

Maybe many had a mother and father who was not worthy of such honor and so we have become unforgiving of their behavior that they showed us growing up. Honoring a mother or father is not in likening their ways and choices in how they raised us up, but honoring their position as our mother/father, and not the person themselves. Forgiving their actions toward us is vital to becoming free to honor them properly. If our parents lived ungodly lives we are surely not to imitate their behavior.

Eze 20:18 "And I said to their children in the wilderness, Do not walk in the statutes of your fathers, nor keep their rules, nor defile yourselves with their idols.
Eze 20:19 I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and be careful to obey my rules,

We might not like the President of the United States, but we do "honor" the position, not the man.

Maybe a more telling question may be "How do you dishonor your parents" and may shed light on how we should honor them.

Back