Horrid Truth

I've never liked the fear-factor approach to sharing the Gospel, but sometimes even the Lord utilized that avenue to shock some people into a semblance of reality.

Luke 16:19-23
19 "There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day.
20 "But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate,
21 "desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 "So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried.
23 "And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

This topic was driven home to me this morning as I watched a typically negative news report about an 18 year old woman in Mississippi, whom the entire community saw as being a little angel, so nice, so loving, so pretty, and yet, in reality, so hooked on drugs, sex, and looking for "sugar daddy's" to take care of her as long as they provided her the drugs and parties to which she was addicted. The only problem was, one of her sugar daddy's murdered her.

The strong, emotional paradigm of presenting her main studio photo, surrounded by angels tooting their horns, the shampoo hippy Jesus looking toward her photo with adoring eyes, well-wishing cards wishing her the best in Heaven...etc. That's not to say that any mortal among us knows for sure her real fate in eternity, and that's not the thrust of this post.

What is before us, however, is the real danger that so many have placed themselves within, living for the pleasures of the world as if they were NOT going to die tonight, or tomorrow, next week... The real danger is everyone pretending that there's no doubt about the eternal fate of those who had lived for the devil up to the moment of death, and every one of those people envisioned as being in paradise with the Lord, even among surviving family members who intentionally avoid considering the alternative.

The enemy doesn't want those families getting more serious about talking with their remaining, lost children about Hell. The prospect of the dead child being in Hell as a result of a life lived in rejection of Christ, is something the enemy of our souls doesn't want to take place because it works...at least, in the lives of some!

So, to apply the numbing salve to the conscience of parents and friends, the perception of every one of those souls being in Heaven plays right into the devil's hands to ensure that any fear of Hell is not at all uttered. After all, the feelings of the family must be protected, right?

At what expense?

Eternity!

The willingness of so many to play that eternally deadly game, gambling the very souls of their own children and relatives, all on the basis of feelings...

That rich man in torment, as described in Luke 16 above, certainly didn't see any reason to sugar-coat the truth for the sake of feelings! He was dead serious about someone going before his kin and warning them that the place of torment is real, and so horrible that it must be avoided at all costs.

Do you see how perspective can have a total reversal that casts any regard for mere feelings into the trash, where it belongs, when the prospect of eternity comes into play? That's not to say that it's ok to trample feelings with utter disregard, but when weighing on the scales of importance, feelings end up being out-weighed by any and all prospects of eternity!

What say you?

MM

Most of the time the family members are walking the same path as their loved one that just died and as a result end up in a place they did not believe was real. They say all roads lead to heaven, I say only one will let you stay there!

I've never liked the fear-factor approach to sharing the Gospel, but sometimes even the Lord utilized that avenue to shock some people into a semblance of reality.

Luke 16:19-23
19 "There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day.
20 "But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate,
21 "desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 "So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried.
23 "And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

This topic was driven home to me this morning as I watched a typically negative news report about an 18 year old woman in Mississippi, whom the entire community saw as being a little angel, so nice, so loving, so pretty, and yet, in reality, so hooked on drugs, sex, and looking for "sugar daddy's" to take care of her as long as they provided her the drugs and parties to which she was addicted. The only problem was, one of her sugar daddy's murdered her.

The strong, emotional paradigm of presenting her main studio photo, surrounded by angels tooting their horns, the shampoo hippy Jesus looking toward her photo with adoring eyes, well-wishing cards wishing her the best in Heaven...etc. That's not to say that any mortal among us knows for sure her real fate in eternity, and that's not the thrust of this post.

What is before us, however, is the real danger that so many have placed themselves within, living for the pleasures of the world as if they were NOT going to die tonight, or tomorrow, next week... The real danger is everyone pretending that there's no doubt about the eternal fate of those who had lived for the devil up to the moment of death, and every one of those people envisioned as being in paradise with the Lord, even among surviving family members who intentionally avoid considering the alternative.

The enemy doesn't want those families getting more serious about talking with their remaining, lost children about Hell. The prospect of the dead child being in Hell as a result of a life lived in rejection of Christ, is something the enemy of our souls doesn't want to take place because it works...at least, in the lives of some!

So, to apply the numbing salve to the conscience of parents and friends, the perception of every one of those souls being in Heaven plays right into the devil's hands to ensure that any fear of Hell is not at all uttered. After all, the feelings of the family must be protected, right?

At what expense?

Eternity!

The willingness of so many to play that eternally deadly game, gambling the very souls of their own children and relatives, all on the basis of feelings...

That rich man in torment, as described in Luke 16 above, certainly didn't see any reason to sugar-coat the truth for the sake of feelings! He was dead serious about someone going before his kin and warning them that the place of torment is real, and so horrible that it must be avoided at all costs.

Do you see how perspective can have a total reversal that casts any regard for mere feelings into the trash, where it belongs, when the prospect of eternity comes into play? That's not to say that it's ok to trample feelings with utter disregard, but when weighing on the scales of importance, feelings end up being out-weighed by any and all prospects of eternity!

What say you?

MM
Feelings always have been unreliable metrics of truth.

That's something Christians should always keep in mind. The correct order of understanding truth is faith in God, knowing the facts of Scripture, understanding that emotional feelings are fickle.

I've been horrified to find that some entire Christian groups rely on emotions as indicators of one's relationship with God, and they use emotionalism both privately and corporately.

Feelings always have been unreliable metrics of truth.

That's something Christians should always keep in mind. The correct order of understanding truth is faith in God, knowing the facts of Scripture, understanding that emotional feelings are fickle.

I've been horrified to find that some entire Christian groups rely on emotions as indicators of one's relationship with God, and they use emotionalism both privately and corporately.

Very true indeed.

That's a serious danger for those in religions that exercise various works based exercises and constructs as means to allegedly satisfy the Lord, such as salvation given to the followers like an IV bag, one drop at a time infused into their veins the elixir of the salvation that religion teaches them...the difference between infused and imputed.

MM

I watched a video this morning from the John Ankerberg Show, and the speaker was adamant that ALL babies and children go to Heaven because the Blood of Jesus allegedly provides a special cleansing for them in contrast to all others. His proof text was King David speaking about his dead baby, and how he would go to that son, not the son to him on earth.

When a seeming truth lies bleeding in the hands of people who lack critical thought, and who then fail to apply what ALL of scripture has to say on a matter, AND who also INJECT into scripture that which is not present, then they end up leading astray their hearers who are equally lacking in critical thought skills.

King David at no point declared that his dead baby was in Heaven. David knew that the destination of all men in those times was Sheol...Abraham's Boson as Christ called it, but that terminology was not known to the ancients so far as we know. He indicated his knowledge and understanding that he would go to his son, not his son to him back on this earth, in that life as they knew it then, and as we know it today.

None of us can say for sure what happens to babies and small children after their deaths, just as we can't say that about anyone before the Lord judges them at the point of death. Most assume that Mother Teressa is in Heaven...after all, she did so many good works over there in Calcutta, right????

Sorry, Jesus, but many pioneers have discovered an unknown path around the cross and the true Gospel... (I hope others will refrain from assuming more into that statement than what's there.)

MM

Most assume that Mother Teressa is in Heaven...after all, she did so many good works over there in Calcutta, right????
There is another main theme dominating your post, that of, “is there any special dispensation for those children who die before reaching the age of reason” (my quotes and my para-phrasing).

This has been addressed recently in other threads and I have nothing new to add.

However, I will say that I don’t believe the idea of whether Mother Teressa makes it to heaven or not is the most notable point of her life, or the best she exemplifies in a discussion. Many are surprised to learn that she herself questioned her own salvation at times.

I believe what makes her stand out among humanity is the good she did while she was alive, the suffering she addressed, the advocacy she gave and the awareness she brought of those who have no voice, no resources and no hope in this world.

Whether she is a Saint or not is a viewpoint, but the good she did can be an inspiration for all.

However, I will say that I don’t believe the idea of whether Mother Teressa makes it to heaven or not is the most notable point of her life, or the best she exemplifies in a discussion. Many are surprised to learn that she herself questioned her own salvation at times.

I believe what makes her stand out among humanity is the good she did while she was alive, the suffering she addressed, the advocacy she gave and the awareness she brought of those who have no voice, no resources and no hope in this world.

Whether she is a Saint or not is a viewpoint, but the good she did can be an inspiration for all.

There's the key...among humanity. Jesus pressed for the people around him adopt the Heavenly mindset about life rather than the earthly. This isn't saying anything new to you, but it does at least show others who are trapped in the earthly-mindedness realm that they have a problem on their hands. The thought of questioning one's own salvation, that leans heavily into the realm of faithlessness because of doubts in the sufficiency in the shed Blood of Christ. That can be tragic, and I would hope that anyone out there having issues with that would reach out to others here to explore the ways to get planted firmly upon the solid grounding of Christ.

MM

Back