Hosanna

Hosanna

I just found this interesting, we often sing a song with the words Hosanna in them at church, but few people know the meaning of the word (including me) so I looked it up in Vines dictionary.

This gave me a whole new understanding of what people where saying when Jesus entered Jerusalem. They must have seen Him as the messiah to sing these prayers or praises to Him.

Hosanna

<1,,5614,hosanna>
in the Hebrew, means "save, we pray." The word seems to have become an utterance of praise rather than of prayer, though originally, probably, a cry for help. The people's cry at the Lord's triumphal entry into Jerusalem (
Mat_21:9, Mat_21:15; Mar_11:9-10; Joh_12:13) was taken from Ps. 118, which was recited at the Feast of Tabernacles (see FEAST) in the great Hallel (Psalms 113 to 118) in responses with the priest, accompanied by the waving of palm and willow branches. "The last day of the feast" was called "the great Hosanna;" the boughs also were called "hosannas."

Baruch Hashem Adonai

Blessed be the Name of the Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I just found this interesting, we often sing a song with the words Hosanna in them at church, but few people know the meaning of the word (including me) so I looked it up in Vines dictionary.

This gave me a whole new understanding of what people where saying when Jesus entered Jerusalem. They must have seen Him as the messiah to sing these prayers or praises to Him.

Thanks Kevin. I didn't know exactly what the word meant, but I have wondered before.

Back