House rules

Do you have any rules in your household?
What happens if your children break them?
Also..how do you make your children do housework and chores?

From a young age, I grew up very independently, at the age of 7, I was staying home alone if my parents had to work. I learned how to cook some pretty mean Ramen noodles :ROFLMAO:

However with that, my parents expected alot of me, work was instilled at an early age as well as respect for authority. If I disobeyed, there were always punishments. Normally a stern talking to was good enough to get the point across, but sometimes I needed a "helping hand". Overall though, even leading into my teenage years, I only remember one good spanking, and one smack across the face when I was being a mouthy little snot. My parents were very loose with me, and let me do alot on my own. It allowed me to see that there are consequences for actions at a very young age. While letting me see how the world really works without a guarded fence and a blindfold.

I think with children, you need to make chores a part of their life from the beginning. Not overwhelming chores, but enough so they know to pick up after themselves, and respect other people's things. There is a healthy balance between too many chores, and letting your kids get away with bloody murder. At the end of the day though, they are kids and will have a mind of their own. Somedays will be awesome, other days you can't get them to eat cereal.

Reactions: Juk
I think one of the most important rules is: family first.
Family is one thing that we should hold dear; all of the housework, chores, homework etc... Should proceed afterwards.
There should be rules set and an upbringing guided by God.

Please I like to know as was not brought up in christian household..we didnt really have proper rules as such..just be good, but there were constant do this and do that or dont do that nagging by mum..while dad broke mums rules. Lol.

Come on this is really important I would like to know.
Far more important than discussing theology.
Letter to timothy says to ministers if they cant properly rule their households they cant run a church...so..1 timothy 3:5

Give you some example, we have four rules four our bibles in schools

When you want to speak raise your hand
Interrupting is not a good idea
Space invaders no way
Now is the time to sit still and listen

Do you have any rules in your household? What do you teach your children, and do they all know them?

My rules as follows:

1. 5am Lord's Prayer
  2. 5:30am Breakfast
  3. All cleaning to be done prior to going to work
  4. All meals to be organised before leaving the house so food prep can be bought
  5. Permission to leave the table after eating
  6. In my house, no-one leaves the table until I have finished eating
  7. Bible study 6pm in the evening for 1hour
  8. Clothes Washing to be done on Sunday's
There are more which will come to mind later.

I don't have children so no rules for that as of yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Klub...my parents had expectations, but expectations are different from rules.
I would have liked to have rules growing up so everyone else in my family follow the same thing. Having expectations is kinda wishy washy. Also there seem to be different expectations for each child.

I am not talking bout punishments.

I remember staying with two christian families on my wwoofing travels.
One had rules, the other didnt really.

I remember both dads always said grace at the table and all took the family to church and had bible studies.

The one that had rules had..

1. Ready for Breakfast at 8
2. Wear Modest clothing
3. Cant enter the house while children being homeschooled
4. No internet, and no tv, the children could only watch christian programs or dvds

I have to bag the colored laundry and bring it downstairs and clean the half bathroom on Saturdays. My brother cleans the main bathroom and he bags the white clothes, and he sweeps and mops the kitchen floor on Saturdays, while I do it on Wednesdays. My brother takes out the garbage and I take out the bottles and cans. My mom takes away our phones if we don't do our chores, but we are used to doing them because we have been doing chores since we were young kids.

Do you have any rules in your household?
What happens if your children break them?
Also..how do you make your children do housework and chores?

Nope, I am no longer under rules.

Rom 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
Rom 11:7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded
Rom 11:8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.

So you dont rule your household? You just let your children do anything they want???
God chastises the ones He loves.

Heb 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
Heb 12:5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
Heb 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
Heb 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
Heb 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

God chastises the ones He loves.

Heb 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
Heb 12:5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
Heb 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
Heb 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
Heb 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
But the thing is that we are all born enemies to God. So if you don't teach your children about God and chastise them when they sin, they might never get to know God.

How do they know they are being chastised...if you don't give them ANY rules.
surely you must give them at least two commandments, as Jesus did for us.

I'm very interested to know. Don't you write them down somewhere?

I was thinking about this, and if ever had a house of my own, I would have some rules.

Love one another
Jesus is the head of our house.
Your own bedroom is your quiet space or sanctuary, so knock before entering someone else's.
Washing done everyday and dishes done every night..don't leave for someone else to do or the next day.
At meal times, we say grace and give thanks.
Call someone if you not coming home for dinner.
Lights out at 10:30pm...
No TV on all the time, only dvd, and if you not watching turn it off.
Cats cannot sit on the table.
also, no dogs. If there are dogs, they have to stay outside and have their own kennel.

Look, I do not think children can grow up properly without rules and boundaries.
I mean, how do you play a rugby match or run a race without rules?
You need something in place to prevent utter chaos.
For most I think the question is mostly how such rules and boundaries are brought over to the child.

Back