How And Why Is The Bible The Inerrant Word Of God?

Actually, Jesusis4, I think God created the universe, or multiverse, if you will. He created "science" and is therefore the ultimate "scientist". He knows all the back doors and loopholes, but He uses them carefully, as He does not like to go against the laws of "nature" He created. God is a being of Light - as we are His children - we are also beings of Light. I love exploring science and it is only recently that "science" has begun to "see". They discovered the Higgs-Bosun, after all. :cool:

Yes but the Higgs-Boson actually only demonstrates the need for intelligent design to make it happen...(God has such a great sense of the Ironic)...as Stephen Hawking said “the Higgs Boson is an elementary particle that is thought to explain why other fundamental particles have mass.“

But all it really does is explain is how if outside Intelligent Designers tweek and re-tweek an experiment under unnatural conditions, for over a decade, in a devise itself intelligently designed and built to produce a preconceived hoped result, that man can so manipulate matter to create (from pre-existing matter) a particle that MAY or COULD POSSIBLY explain how SOME fundamental particles have mass.

The Bible is one of the pillars of our faith, because basically faith comes by hearing right?
My testimony is perhaps quite queer. I spent six-years as an atheist after becoming disillusioned with the evangelical fundamentalism I was raised to believe. It was beauty that brought me back towards God. It was not so much a rational hearing the truth, but rather experiencing the transcendentalism of beauty. I came to the feeling of experience that there has to be something transcendent to love, life, beauty — that there is an essence to the world.

Well in the opposite side of our perspective, It's hard for someone who is unbelieving like an atheist or those who claim to be agnostics to uh.. understand our faith, so as a result they stick to science since they see that empirical results are more believable compared to our faith which is a firm belief and trust without 100% hard, scientist approved evidence.
Atheism has become synonymous with the worship of scientific empiricism. I began to lose faith in the empiricist-scientific faith when I began to study philosophy. What is a triangle? It is not matter and it is not energy. It is a concept/idea and yet it "exists" in a certain sense. It has reality. The problem with empiricism is that it takes the sensuous, phenomenal world as the ground. I rather think the German Idealist tradition is a hell of a lot more philosophically rigorous.

I read your information Brother Paul, and I got to say, I rejoice in my heart when I see how God changes people's lives and how he's touched your life to guide you to His path. :D
I like reading content from GotQuestions.org by the way :) and it's cool how you're a staff writer there!
I got many of my inquiries put to rest by reading writings from the site.
Say Brother Paul... Got any insights on my thread question?
Would appreciate it (y)

The Bible is inerrent because God said it is. The 2 Tim 3:16 scripture you mentioned supports this. I also take comfort in Matt 24:35.

However, it's ultimately a matter of faith. You will never be able to construct an argument that will unilaterally convince an unbeliever that the Bible is inerrent, or any other spiritual truth of the Bible. This conviction can only come from the Holy Spirit. You can present arguments, but it won't be the cleverness of your presentation that gets it done. Either the Holy Spirit will soften the unbeliever's heart or He won't. Rather than attempting to appeal to the unbeliever's reason with clever arguments on whether or not the Bible is inerrent, the best approach is to simply present the Gospel and leave it to the Holy Spirit to do His work. Your presentation of the Gospel will be either the power of God unto salvation to the one who believes (Rom 1:16), or it will be the rock of offense to the one who doesn't (Rom 9:33).

Yes but the Higgs-Boson actually only demonstrates the need for intelligent design to make it happen...(God has such a great sense of the Ironic)...as Stephen Hawking said “the Higgs Boson is an elementary particle that is thought to explain why other fundamental particles have mass.“

But all it really does is explain is how if outside Intelligent Designers tweek and re-tweek an experiment under unnatural conditions, for over a decade, in a devise itself intelligently designed and built to produce a preconceived hoped result, that man can so manipulate matter to create (from pre-existing matter) a particle that MAY or COULD POSSIBLY explain how SOME fundamental particles have mass.

I used the Higgs - Bosun because it is referred to by scientists as the "God particle". Before, they found it in Switzerland, it was an unproven theory. It is said that the guiding lights who built the accelerator in Switz. dumped mightily against the theory and then built the 4 billion dollar accelerator to find it. My point about science is that it is a long way from understanding the universe and the more it progresses the closer it will come to the understanding we, of faith, already have.
For instance - the Bible says the universe was created in 6 days. The scientists all say "impossible". One Jewish scientist (I don't remember his name but he was inteviewed on an episode of the Naked Archeologist) said from the origin/source point of the theoretical "Big Bang" - the math shows it took - guess what? - six days.

The Bible is inerrent because God said it is. The 2 Tim 3:16 scripture you mentioned supports this. I also take comfort in Matt 24:35.

However, it's ultimately a matter of faith. You will never be able to construct an argument that will unilaterally convince an unbeliever that the Bible is inerrent, or any other spiritual truth of the Bible. This conviction can only come from the Holy Spirit.

Amen, I totally agree. hm, your statement though has a hair-raising implication to some :whistle:
I wonder if you get what I mean?
I am fascinated however by your reply, that faith is through God's grace and not by works, I believe too what you believe.
To adjust the thread question, I suppose for us Christians indeed the faith that we have is truly, truly sufficient for us to believe.
For flesh and blood did not reveal it to us but our Heavenly Father.
However for the unbeliever's perspective they do not understand faith, not putting aside your message about not making the unbelievers believe through evidences and credible logicality - I guess my question is apologetically inclined, considering what sir Kurt has implied it's not the decisive factor in making unbelievers believe it's just the statement of facts that make the Bible even more resplendent that even through intense scrutiny it is indeed the word of God.

Rather I guess it's just my curiosity.

Consider for example one convincing reason that it is the word of God is because it speaks in the manner of "Knowing"
Compared to many other books (Philosophical) in where the writers do not write with much authority as the Bible does, the Bible continues to belittle human understanding about spiritual things and gives us answers to life's questions without a shadow of a doubt.
Hm, for example: What am I created for? The word of God then speaks...
Isaiah 43:7 - "Everyone who is called by My name, And whom I have created for my glory, whom I have formed, even whom I have made."

Thank you for your reply :)

How and why is the bible the inerrant word of God?
How = God got literally involved when He gave us (Moses) the ten commandments and then the gospels. All other books are inspired by Him. Hence He included Rev 22:19.

Why = God is not a liar. God does not waste His time visiting earth. God will not abandon us, He will ensure we have a source of His truth. Hence the bible is either the word of God or it is not.

Conclusion: The bible may not be an encyclopedia of all there is to know. But everything written IS inspired by God and cannot be ignored. The devil works through false prophets to cause us to lose confidence in the accuracy and relevance of scripture. Give the devil your hand and he will take your arm. NEVER overlook, twist, remove or mock scripture unless you are of your father the devil. Many make stupid assumptions about scripture. They just show their ignorance and laziness to actually study what is written.

Don't be naive! Remember these verses!!

2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.

1 John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Mock scripture and you mock God. All argument against scripture must be dealt with. Do you have any?

Hello everyone this is my first Thread in this forum, as I am not sure if any threads like my topic already existed I would implore the community to be kind to the newbie :)

Living in the new generation, the youth in my city seem to be experiencing a spiritual drought and as a result there are many who are unsure about their faith. I find myself trying to put myself in their shoes and thinking that if I am someone who was unsure of my beliefs how then can I be sure that whatever the Bible says is true?

I would like to ask for everyone's input on this subject, also imagine that I was an unbeliever and you wanted to prove, and show the Bible's inerrancy, credibility and it's divinely breathed words to me.

Hello my friend. I would be glad to speak with you and address your question which I believe is......"Is the Bible really the Word of God"?

As apologist and lawyer Josh McDowell says writes......"it is the evidence that demands a verdict". That is, once you weigh all the evidence, we must do something with that information because we can not stay neutral.

The Bible is not a book but is rather a library. There are 66 books written by several generations of men over about 1500 years. Our faith as Christians rest on this entire library. All of the books converge to tell the same story. It is almost as if there was one main author using writers to tell that story that He wanted told. Wait a minute......that is exactly what we believe happened!!!!

There are historical documents used to confirm those 66 books.

Two Oxford students began a systematic search for ancient "papyri in 1895. They found over 10 years, more than 10,000 manuscripts and partial's in Egypt. They were made up of letters, bills, historical documents, diaries, receipts, certificates and almanacs. Among all of their finds was a piece of John's gospel. That is the oldest known Bible manuscript and it is evidence that the gospel of John was in existence and was being circulated in Egypt in the years immediately after John's death.

IF we apply the very same tests to this gospel of John that we apply to the almanac and diaries, we will produce evidence of reliability.

Only two men recorded history in the 1st century. Both Romans, one being Caesar and Tacitus. There are 10 copies but no one doubts their authenticity even though there are only a few scattered fragments. In light of those two men's recordings, how does the Bible stand in comparison?

A copy of Matthew, Mark, and John was found together in one volume in A.D. 250.

A copy of the gospel of Luke just as it is in your Bible was found and dated A.D. 150.

The fragment of John found in Egypt was dated A.D. 145.

In A.D. 350 there were 5000 Greek manuscripts of the New Testament.

Then we should look at and consider the character of the writers of the Bible. Matthew was an eyewitness. Mark interviewed people even Peter. Luke interviewed and was a Doctor who traveled with the disciples. John was an eyewitness.

Now then. Only 3 things could have happened.

1. These 3 men got together and came up with a total lie.
2. They could have made up individual lies.
3. They could have written the truth.

So then, when you read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, what does one story sound like to you coming from 4 perspectives?

Ask 4 different people what they saw at a car accident and you will get 4 differaning stories. BUT when you read the gospels of these 4 men you get ONE story where every single element matches 100%.

Then consider the prophecies in the Bible. Every single prophecy given in the Scriptures have come to pass 100%. The only ones that have not come true are those concerning the 2nd Coming of Christ which are yet in the future.

The one thing that proves without a shadow of doubt that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God is TIME.

Time proves the truth given to be perfect and without any errors.

Great post, Major. I might dicker some about your dates, but I'm going from memory - so I could be wrong. I would only add that Christianity is a personal religion, between God and the believer. Reading the Bible is for the believer to better understand how to be a "good" Christian. The best proof to the unbeliever, that it is real, is to reflect what God wants in our behavior, by the believer, to all. Living your life with generosity, kindness, honesty and love is not just a formula for happy to the believer, it shows to the unbeliever that there is a better way.

Last edited:
Oh! Your reference to John 1:1 really helped me out, I was also amazed how I didn't get to think about this passage earlier Thanks for reminding me :) However, I believe what the Bible is portraying here is a "personification" of Jesus if you read a little further the passage also includes this "He was in the beginning with God" therefore the Word must be referring to Jesus Himself.
The Greek word used in the original manuscript for Word was "logos" which in Greek means expression of a thought.
Jesus is the All in All, so I agree too about your statement about singularity but for me it is for the incomparable Christ, He is the expression of God to man communicating to us about Him through Jesus, in another way to put it... God's Divine expression.
Colossians 1:15-17 = "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities - all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together."

It's nice how you mention science I too am fascinated by it :D but well... the Bible never truly states the explicit process in which God created the universe, He may have used the Big Bang or He may also have utilized "cymatics" I guess these are mysteries we can't completely be sure of yet while here on earth.

Yeah I'm not entirely convinced that is what they meant by John 1 either, I just like the connection there. It also helped me to think of it like that at a time in my life when I had doubts about God and the Bible. I still think that there are scientific truths in the bible but that they are vieled by allegory and metaphor. There are some interesting parallels between what we are finding out through quantum physics and a number of ancient religious texts.

Hello my friend. I would be glad to speak with you and address your question which I believe is......"Is the Bible really the Word of God"?

As apologist and lawyer Josh McDowell says writes......"it is the evidence that demands a verdict". That is, once you weigh all the evidence, we must do something with that information because we can not stay neutral.

The Bible is not a book but is rather a library. There are 66 books written by several generations of men over about 1500 years. Our faith as Christians rest on this entire library. All of the books converge to tell the same story. It is almost as if there was one main author using writers to tell that story that He wanted told. Wait a minute......that is exactly what we believe happened!!!!

Two Oxford students began a systematic search for ancient "papyri in 1895. They found over 10 years, more than 10,000 manuscripts and partial's in Egypt. They were made up of letters, bills, historical documents, diaries, receipts, certificates and almanacs. Among all of their finds was a piece of John's gospel. That is the oldest known Bible manuscript and it is evidence that the gospel of John was in existence and was being circulated in Egypt in the years immediately after John's death.

IF we apply the very same tests to this gospel of John that we apply to the almanac and diaries, we will produce evidence of reliability.

Only two men recorded history in the 1st century. Both Romans, one being Caesar and Tacitus. There are 10 copies but no one doubts their authenticity even though there are only a few scattered fragments. In light of those two men's recordings, how does the Bible stand in comparison?

A copy of the gospel of Luke just as it is in your Bible was found and dated A.D. 150.

Then we should look at and consider the character of the writers of the Bible. Matthew was an eyewitness. Mark interviewed people even Peter. Luke interviewed and was a Doctor who traveled with the disciples. John was an eyewitness.

So then, when you read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, what does one story sound like to you coming from 4 perspectives?

Ask 4 different people what they saw at a car accident and you will get 4 differaning stories. BUT when you read the gospels of these 4 men you get ONE story where every single element matches 100%.

Then consider the prophecies in the Bible. Every single prophecy given in the Scriptures have come to pass 100%. The only ones that have not come true are those concerning the 2nd Coming of Christ which are yet in the future.

The one thing that proves without a shadow of doubt that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God is TIME.

That's not entirely true. I don't say this because I don't believe they were telling the truth, but there are discrepancies between Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John's stories. One example is the resurrection, which while the main idea of what happened is consistent, there are several differences in the details of their story.

Moreover, I don't quite understand how the nature of God described in the new testament is so drastically different from the one described in the old testament. This is the main thing that has bugged me for quite some time.

[quote="Silk, post: 300909, member: 7473" The scientists all say "impossible". One Jewish scientist (I don't remember his name but he was inteviewed on an episode of the Naked Archeologist) said from the origin/source point of the theoretical "Big Bang" - the math shows it took - guess what? - six days.[/quote]

I thought the "Big Bang" was instantaneous, I'm not quite sure I understand what exactly took six days. I don't think there were any "days" because the earth wouldn't form for another 9 billion years haha. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand what you mean by that.

[quote="Silk, post: 300909, member: 7473" The scientists all say "impossible". One Jewish scientist (I don't remember his name but he was inteviewed on an episode of the Naked Archeologist) said from the origin/source point of the theoretical "Big Bang" - the math shows it took - guess what? - six days.

I thought the "Big Bang" was instantaneous, I'm not quite sure I understand what exactly took six days. I don't think there were any "days" because the earth wouldn't form for another 9 billion years haha. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand what you mean by that.[/quote]

My understanding is that from the earth's point of reference, what is currently considered in the billions of years, at the point of reference from the big bang, the math equalled 6 days. The "point of view" causes the difference. No math wiz here, and I admit, I only heard the theory in the one place. But I couldn't help liking it. And 6 days in terms of the cosmos, is pretty much considered instantaneous.

That's not entirely true. I don't say this because I don't believe they were telling the truth, but there are discrepancies between Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John's stories. One example is the resurrection, which while the main idea of what happened is consistent, there are several differences in the details of their story.

Moreover, I don't quite understand how the nature of God described in the new testament is so drastically different from the one described in the old testament. This is the main thing that has bugged me for quite some time.

No problems mate. No one ever agrees with everything that others say or think which is the reason for discussion.

If you would like to list what you believe are "discrepancies" we could discuss them one at a time.

Now as for not understanding the differences between the Old Testament God and the New Testament God, one most always consider contextual application.

If you read the Bible fairly you’ll find that the God of the OT is very clearly the God of the New as well – virtually the same amount of love, same amount of things that dismay him as well, and that the grace that is offered in the New Testament and beyond, is available in the Old as well. Then why the perceived differance???

The main change between the testaments is that the ‘mystery’ has been revealed, and that the New Testament is a universal text, with the offer of salvation, as was intended from the beginning, going out to all peoples, and not a text, like the old, directed specifically at the nation of Israel and the Jewish peoples.

One thing to consider contextually is that a majority of the OT was written to apply to Israel as a national – not the individual.
It is consistant, and applied to the infant nation as it was developing and not as much to the interaction of individual people as it regards their personal relationships. Yes, anyone may pull verses out of context that seem VERY personal from your perspective and apply them to your personal life and situation. But in context they, at that time, were meant to act as Israel’s national law. The New Testament reveals God-made-Flesh, the intimate side: How individuals relate, and behave, as a correction to the need to follow a law which seems all people hate to follow and in fact could not follow.

Great post, Major. I might dicker some about your dates, but I'm going from memory - so I could be wrong. I would only add that Christianity is a personal religion, between God and the believer. Reading the Bible is for the believer to better understand how to be a "good" Christian. The best proof to the unbeliever, that it is real, is to reflect what God wants in our behavior, by the believer, to all. Living your life with generosity, kindness, honesty and love is not just a formula for happy to the believer, it shows to the unbeliever that there is a better way.

LOL.........I was going from memory also my dear! I could very well be off a little.

And thanks and blessing to you!

"it is the evidence that demands a verdict"

This is very interesting and also very informative sir Major.
It's fascinating that the Bible as a library of books do not hold a humongous discrepancy when the timeline spanning up to
its completion is that much of a length of time. Up to 1500 years. When the lifestyle, age, the worldviews and education of the writers greatly differ from their own generation.

Hm, reviewing what I've learned the Bible speaks in the manner of "Knowing" and with many writers there is still one message that the Bible is about God and the books come together to tell us all about Him, who He is and what He has done for us. What I've noticed is the Bible does not estrange each other from the characteristics and personality of God rather the books coincide and come into unison in making us know who God is, exactly like the Gospels. It iss Amazing :)

However, to be honest i'm not so sure about all the prophecies, because I have not been able to study and examine all of them, I have studied a bit on Daniel though and I find it mind-blowing that all the kingdoms have been predicted in the order of the statue in Nebuchadnezzar's dream.

The Bible is a Timeless book (I like how you say it (y)) unlike any other, i actually do not doubt the Bible or anything, in pure faith I acknowledge it is a book from the living God. It would be nice though to have faith and evidences come together.
I'd really like to know more.

This is very interesting and also very informative sir Major.
It's fascinating that the Bible as a library of books do not hold a humongous discrepancy when the timeline spanning up to
its completion is that much of a length of time. Up to 1500 years. When the lifestyle, age, the worldviews and education of the writers greatly differ from their own generation.

Hm, reviewing what I've learned the Bible speaks in the manner of "Knowing" and with many writers there is still one message that the Bible is about God and the books come together to tell us all about Him, who He is and what He has done for us. What I've noticed is the Bible does not estrange each other from the characteristics and personality of God rather the books coincide and come into unison in making us know who God is, exactly like the Gospels. It iss Amazing :)

However, to be honest i'm not so sure about all the prophecies, because I have not been able to study and examine all of them, I have studied a bit on Daniel though and I find it mind-blowing that all the kingdoms have been predicted in the order of the statue in Nebuchadnezzar's dream.

The Bible is a Timeless book (I like how you say it (y)) unlike any other, i actually do not doubt the Bible or anything, in pure faith I acknowledge it is a book from the living God. It would be nice though to have faith and evidences come together.
I'd really like to know more.

I am glad that we agree.

As for prophesy, it is actually the one thing that proves the divine author of the Bible to be God Himself. There are over 300 prophecies concerning the incarnation of Messiah Jesus and every single one of them was fulfilled in Jesus Christ.

Daniel is THE book of prophecy!!! There is absolutely no need to study the book of the Revelation without 1st having a background in the book of Daniel. The book of Daniel is so accurate that it has been rejected by many because of its accuracy.

Hmm Major, I see your light shining :) but I would say that prophecies in the Old Testament were about both the first and second coming, and last I looked, the second hasn't happened yet. Only until after Christ, could one see that the Messiah prophecies include both. IMO, Israel , under the dominion of Rome wanted the second first. And obviously, not all individual Jews rejected Christ.

Jesusis notes the difference between Old and New Testaments. I would say that God stayed the same, but people's understanding of God changed.

Hmm Major, I see your light shining :) but I would say that prophecies in the Old Testament were about both the first and second coming, and last I looked, the second hasn't happened yet. Only until after Christ, could one see that the Messiah prophecies include both. IMO, Israel , under the dominion of Rome wanted the second first. And obviously, not all individual Jews rejected Christ.

Jesusis notes the difference between Old and New Testaments. I would say that God stayed the same, but people's understanding of God changed.

Correct!

Back