How can I be sure that I am saved?

How can I be sure that I am saved?

Everyday, I am always asking myself where I would go if I died today and I honestly don't know. I am always trying to do the right thing but Satan is always trying to take hold of me and it scares me. I feel like no matter how hard I try, I am not good enough. Every time I make a mistake, I feel like God wants to send me to hell.

I think we all may feel that way sometimes.
Possibly there is something in your life that is nagging at you that you might do better at?
I'm not judging you, just speaking from experience.
Do your best with all sincerity and that is all you can do!
:)

Suzie:

Were you raised in a pentecostal / holiness environment and/or did you experience many teachings that were based on the writings of Charles Finney?

Just curious, I have found that many who experience the same feelings and even worse feelings (especially in the area of personal suffering) was raised up in a pentecostal / holiness environment or in a environment where Charles Finney was 'idolized'

division brings us apart,im a christian this means i read christs words.nothing else matters and bad thoughts come from the evil one.christians give not to recieve.a good heart is with jesus.but as jesus said be clever but harmless.many get stuck on this.

Suzie:

Were you raised in a pentecostal / holiness environment and/or did you experience many teachings that were based on the writings of Charles Finney?

Just curious, I have found that many who experience the same feelings and even worse feelings (especially in the area of personal suffering) was raised up in a pentecostal / holiness environment or in a environment where Charles Finney was 'idolized'

No, I was raised in the church of Christ, which is a very strict denomination, but I'm not sure if that is why I have such a great fear of God and what he may do with me.

I think we all may feel that way sometimes.

Possibly there is something in your life that is nagging at you that you might do better at?
I'm not judging you, just speaking from experience.
Do your best with all sincerity and that is all you can do!

:)

DearSuzieQ9109,
I can only emphasise what Violet has said.
Actually I wrote a very long piece but stopped to checked out the Bible Reference and Lo and Behold, when I came back it had vanished even though I had pressed the saved key - Judgement from on HIGH?
I have searched for a couple of hours in all the nooks and crannies I can find but so far it has not reappeared.
From past experience it probably will turn up accidentally in a month's time from - somewhere.
Anyway, I was ending it with Hebrews 11:1
"Now faith is the substance of things HOPED for, the EVIDENCE OF THINGS NOT SEEN."
The main theme of what I wrote was that all of us have doubts.
If we could prove anything we would neither have to HOPE and certainly not need FAITH.
There is a saying amongst seamen - at least the older generations.
"There are no athiests in a lifeboat."
God Bless you and live your life to the full.
reekie
:) :)

Suzie,
I know that toughts, and a few weeks ago a friend told me something that gave me courage. He knew that I hated my sins and that I couldn't believe God would accept me with them. He told me that I was looking at myself to much, instead of looking at Jesus. He said: 'Never the Bible said: Go, sit in the corner, think of your sins, and realise how bad you are. But look upon the cross, look upon Jesus and believe.'
These words encouraged me, and I hope they will help you too!
With love,
Anna

Suzie,
I know that toughts, and a few weeks ago a friend told me something that gave me courage. He knew that I hated my sins and that I couldn't believe God would accept me with them. He told me that I was looking at myself to much, instead of looking at Jesus. He said: 'Never the Bible said: Go, sit in the corner, think of your sins, and realise how bad you are. But look upon the cross, look upon Jesus and believe.'
These words encouraged me, and I hope they will help you too!
With love,
Anna

Thank you! This is very encouraging. I also took Violet's advice because I am struggling with some things that I want to overcome and since I have prayed about it, I feel that God is trying to protect me from Satan

that is what good does.only God is good.jesus is the best man that walked the earth.but jesus says as good son would about his father.stand tall in jesus,repent and stand tall.

Everyday, I am always asking myself where I would go if I died today and I honestly don't know. I am always trying to do the right thing but Satan is always trying to take hold of me and it scares me. I feel like no matter how hard I try, I am not good enough. Every time I make a mistake, I feel like God wants to send me to hell.

I know from my own personal experiences that it is the devil making you think that God wants to send you to hell. God loves us so much that he send his ONLY son to suffer and die on our behalf. The devil is tottally aware of the fact that God loves us so much and he is and will doing anything and everything in his power to make us feel God dosent love us or doesent care. God loves us so much he wakes us up every morning! Can you name one person who will forgive you for every and anything you do no matter what? I know I cant think of one. Jesus will forgive us for anything all we have to do is ask for forgiveness. If you have asked God to forgive you of all your sins and have invited him to come into your heart and into your life then you are saved. One sure fire was to know that you are saved...is the fact of the devil is messing with you. Obviously your must being doing something right!

The bible tells us to count it joy when we are tryed on behalf of the father... I know right now it may seem hard but in the end we have the victory!:dance:

Much love!
Caresse

Hi SuzieQ9109, the scripture tells us plainly that we may know we are saved :

1Jn 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
1Jn 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
1Jn 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

It is imperative for all who would have peace in their walk to come to an understanding that their salvation is based on the righteousness of Jesus Christ and not on their own goodness or abilities- we must indeed learn to trust Jesus no matter how thinkgs look or how we feel- does your conscience condem you? God is indeed greater than our conscience

1Jn 3:19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
1Jn 3:21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
Heb 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)

1Pe 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

It is a wonderful thing to come to the realization that faith in Jesus is our source and strength- He will no wise leave you or cast you out - it is indeed our part to believe with our whole heart and if we find ourselves faltering we too can cry out " Lord I believe, help me in my unbelief"- even our weak times can surely be turned into moments of triumph in this faith walk as we put out hope and trust in the One true source of life and salvation- I pray you find this peace- in His Name Larry

Hebrews 12:2
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Do you see in that verse comfort? Who begins our faith? Who perfects our faith? Trust in Jesus. He is our O N L Y hope. Our feelings lead us astray, other believers tell us of things we "must do/have" in order to be saved. It is O N L Y in Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection that our hope lies.

Salvation is not an on and off deal. If we are saved, we're saved! It is not a daily, minute by minute, changeable thing. Once Jesus lays hold of us, we belong to Him. Praise God! When that verse speaks of Jesus sitting down, it means the work was accomplished! It is finished! Read through John 6 and John 10, and take great comfort that He does all the work in salvation. Because He does all the work, it is done rightly and permanently!

We will all struggle, God tells us so in the Bible. We are in a daily war against our own flesh, and Satan. That struggle is not for naught! It conforms us to Christ's image.

Living under the law

I deal with this issue a lot in my life. There is nothing you can do though to merit salvation on your own terms. I know a lot of people that think they are going to live perfect and expect this from other christians. If you set up rules and regulations like this you are living under the old testament. There is absolutely nothing within your human power that you can do to live a more perfect life or not sin. Humanly this is impossible and when you live like this trying to do good on your own power you keep feeling guilty and end up feeling worthless. I struggled with this for a long time and now and then it still creeps up on me. You hold salvation in one hand by faith and in the other hand you hold up the law and think you have to live up to a standard. You end up getting pulled each way and it is a constant struggle and cycle. The only thing that you can do is remember that God loved you and sent his son to die on the cross for your sins. Christ fulfilled the whole law and paid the sin debt at the cross. When the father looks at you he sees his son the debt was fully paid. In Romans it says the just shall live by faith. You have to put your faith in Christ and the finished work that he completed at the cross this will be only to live in victory. Doing this you are letting christ live in you and over time bad habits and things will just melt away, (sanctification). This isn't a license to sin like Paul says in Romans, you will mess up but know that if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. I would read Romans 6 and 7 it explains how to live as a Christian, Paul talks about the cycle of living under the law and living under grace. The sin nature still exists but through faith in Christ the new nature will be dominant over the old nature.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. (Romans 10:9).
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.(Romans 10:13)
It's God's word and confirmation from His Spirit that gives us the assurance that we are saved.
What you are going through reminds of a story that I was told. A young man went to his pastor and said: "Pastor I feel like there are two vicious dogs inside and each one of them is pulling me in a separate direction. One is pulling me to do the will of God and the other is pulling me to the opposite. Which dog will win? The pastor answered and said to the young man: "The one you feed the most will win!" Read the Word of God and look at these passages of scripture, I believe they might help you further; Hebrews 4:14 -16.

" Fear not little flock, it is His pleasure to give you the kingdom"- relax and trust God- it is only He who can and will save you!

Back