How come unbelievers seem to enjoy their life more than believers?

Or at least me.

All the kids in my school look like they enjoy their life a lot. The best time in my life that I remember was sixth grade, before I was saved, though i was a "Christian", when I was making YouTube videos, making raps, playing Yugioh, and playing Pokemon. Now, my life is dull and bland, because I gave up just about everything that I liked doing. In fact, I'm pretty sure I gave up everything.

The Bible tells us to be joyful, but that doesn't make me joyful. And some people might tell me that the joy is there waiting for me, and I have to do is "take" the joy. Sorry, that's not how it works.

Do you guys enjoy your lives? Do you enjoy it more than when you were not saved?
A few things to remember.. What they have is shallow happiness.. It depends on something else. It could be washed away anytime. It is like a sand castle. Does not take much to get washed away or blown away. When our faith is anchored in Christ, we have joy in Him. Nothing can take that away from us. Also, like sister Euphemia highlighted, they have happiness. Believers have joy. It is 2 different things. Our joy is not dependent on Lord and not of our situation.

Remember, unbelievers are only part of this world. We are in the world, but not part of the world. We are separated out as our destiny is eternity. Remember the times of Noah? The whole world was "happy". They were getting married, celebrating, partying and so on. It all ended abruptly. Not for Noah. He might have looked a little foolish working day and night building the ark while his secular friends were partying.

Don't look to the materialistic world for joy. Seek the Lord. While we all are giving these advices, we are preaching to ourselves as well!! :D This will continue to look like this in university, work and so on.

I was just thinking that today. Im only 22 I should enjoy this age all of my friends on facebook posting pictures having fun at the beach or partying at some kind of function. All I do is work ... I worked 61 hours this week. In my spare time no one wants to hang out so I just spend time with my family. My second job is at a club and my will power is strong enough to not even get involved in any of that junk. I have plenty of good looking girls each weekend flirt with me to the point where I can get their numbers and hang out but I resist because I know nothing good will come of it even though ill enjoy it. Not sure what to tell you but at the end of the day at least were not falling deeper into sin.

When I was not saved (still believed tho) I would have so much fun. Every weekend going out with new friends. Plenty of girls. Would always be drunk or on some really good drugs. Always would have people texting/calling me up to hang out and do this or that. Not gonna lie it was a blast. Had the time of my life before I was saved id be lying if I said I didnt. But living a double life ... you already know how wrong that is bro. Now that I'm saved almost no one calls or texts me to hang out. And when I have days off no one wants to do anything. Probably cuz they see me as the weird christian guy but thats fine it shows you that your family is who is really only there for you.

Reactions: Juk
I was just thinking that today. Im only 22 I should enjoy this age all of my friends on facebook posting pictures having fun at the beach or partying at some kind of function. All I do is work ... I worked 61 hours this week. In my spare time no one wants to hang out so I just spend time with my family. My second job is at a club and my will power is strong enough to not even get involved in any of that junk. I have plenty of good looking girls each weekend flirt with me to the point where I can get their numbers and hang out but I resist because I know nothing good will come of it even though ill enjoy it. Not sure what to tell you but at the end of the day at least were not falling deeper into sin.

When I was not saved (still believed tho) I would have so much fun. Every weekend going out with new friends. Plenty of girls. Would always be drunk or on some really good drugs. Always would have people texting/calling me up to hang out and do this or that. Not gonna lie it was a blast. Had the time of my life before I was saved id be lying if I said I didnt. But living a double life ... you already know how wrong that is bro. Now that I'm saved almost no one calls or texts me to hang out. And when I have days off no one wants to do anything. Probably cuz they see me as the weird christian guy but thats fine it shows you that your family is who is really only there for you.
Sounds like you need to refocus and find new friends. Seek God in all of this and find out if you are to work at both places. If one has to look back at their old life to find the most fun then something is amiss in their new life in Christ.
Blessings
Jim

Sounds like you need to refocus and find new friends. Seek God in all of this and find out if you are to work at both places. If one has to look back at their old life to find the most fun then something is amiss in their new life in Christ.
Blessings
Jim
I dont look back on it ... not even once. If I wanted to I can easily fall back into that lifestyle. I was just kind of trying to explain to OP im in his situation although I really dont care much for fun. I come from a hard working family so fun isnt too important for us. Once in a while yeah. But it would be nice for us to join a church group or something in our age group .. I see some people doing that . Looks like fun.

I dont look back on it ... not even once. If I wanted to I can easily fall back into that lifestyle. I was just kind of trying to explain to OP im in his situation although I really dont care much for fun. I come from a hard working family so fun isnt too important for us. Once in a while yeah. But it would be nice for us to join a church group or something in our age group .. I see some people doing that . Looks like fun.
Thats what I mean. You need things like this and hanging with some good grounded brothers and sisters would be awesome for you. When you say if i wanted to fall back I easily could...That says alot.

Why don't you continue to make the YouTube videos and raps but incorporate your faith into these activities? You are still engaged in the activities you enjoy and you will be brining glory to God through the process.

Why don't you continue to make the YouTube videos and raps but incorporate your faith into these activities? You are still engaged in the activities you enjoy and you will be brining glory to God through the process.
Because those don't appeal to me anymore.

Because those don't appeal to me anymore.
Juk, you need to seek and find something that you like and really enjoy.
Jesus wants us to be happy and not sad; he will understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bible tells us to be joyful, but that doesn't make me joyful. And some people might tell me that the joy is there waiting for me, and I have to do is "take" the joy. Sorry, that's not how it works.

To me, it is a difficult one and the bible also says: "Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep".

I guess we have to try to put that in some sort of context. I sometimes do question whether we should be having a "good time" when there is so much evil in the world and others are starving, etc. Sometimes I may ask my self whether true celebration can only occur after it's all over and Christ has returned.

Other sides of the coin to me are that I'm sure God knows that as humans we can need a bit of "play time" and light relief. Also, perhaps those who do better than me can rejoice even now in a new future...

Do you enjoy it more than when you were not saved?

In my case, I can question even if I am truly saved although I know I'm in something I can't get out of even when I wish to. I can drift at times but I always seem to get pulled back to Christ.

Personally, no. I lost most of what I thought mattered to me with a trip to a mental hospital back in 1987 when I first really started to believe Christ was for real. Alcohol which OK was something I could over indulge in has in the past 10 years become at times a living nightmare despite prayers to God for help. I've found myself in situations I'd never have dreamed of before. I know many give the opposite type of testimonies but on these sort of just trying to cope with life on a day to day basis, my own has got worse since Christianity. Still (and I've even felt suicidal sometimes about it all) something pulls me back at least to "one day, thing will be different".

Even with this though, there are other sides to the coin. There are things, eg. girlfriends I've wanted (even fallen out with God over!) that these days I see as nothing but chasing lusts. I still like to buy "things" but more and more, I see some form of emptiness about them and might even question the insanity of the things the world chases. Matthew 13:44 might even make some sense to me. Values and importances do shift.

So for me, it can be a nightmare but maybe one day.

I'll be honest...I have no doubt tons of unbelievers are having fun, and the fun exists only within those moments. Whether it be having multiple sexual partners, partying it up, and finding self-love to the point where it's even self-worship, with some exceptions, they are gaining all of those pleasures that they expected.

But they are still empty, and they know it. Their emptiness is why they keep chasing for more earthly pleasures, whether it be even more of those things or unhealthy consumerism, etc. etc. And it will continue until they realize why they are filling themselves up with it...and it will never be enough.

But those short moments of fun is really all it will be, and it will go no further. It's like a credit card -- they may be able to enjoy it now, but they will at some point have to pay for it all, and unless they get their existence in check, their payment will be hell. They'll realize what a bad deal it was. That entire life of "fun" will only be a bleak memory and the rest of their immortal souls' existence will be constant torment and pain. And they'll look back in serious regret.

"Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die," is a bad deal.

A disciple is disciplined.

You know, the most consistently happy people I know are some of the most disciplined. Their happiness comes from knowing who they are, who they can aspire to be, and know that they will have help along the way.

Some people look like they are having fun, but the world and the flesh and the enemy attacks us all, and if one's peace does not come from within, their fun little world can suddenly seem harsh and cruel.

Discipline comes hard until you get the hang of it. You are young yet and discipline is something that is learned over time, as one matures, both in natural growth and spiritual growth. So, do not be discouraged if you do not immediately show deep maturity.

Do not think of discipline as not doing the evil things, think of it as concentrating and expending your energy on the good things that leave you a more capable person.

Find something that you are passionate about that is uplifting to the spirit.

Surround yourself with positive experiences of having good fun with others and knowing when not to engage in their activities. Immerse yourself in the joy of the Lord and learning about His love by living in His love.

Remember, you what you reap tomorrow is largely determined by what you sow today. Sow yourself some joy in life! Make it a strong joy by also sowing some discipline.

I think the "happiest" person I knew (although not without some strife I knew of) was one with what I'd be inclined to call "strong but simple faith" rather than disciplined. I'm not saying the person was or wasn't having to exercise personal discipline, just that it was not the striking feature to me. Quite a quiet Christian too. Just seemed to be on a different sort of wavelength.

I find my own life much more enjoyable now than when I was a heathen.
I was dirt poor back then, that's not particularly fun. My "friends" were largely drunks
and losers. The constant frustration of wanting a steady girlfriend and not having one was also
less than fun. All in all, for me, being young and heathen pretty much stunk.
Now I work most of the time, but I enjoy my job (I'm in IT). What little free time I have is spent doing things I truly enjoy.
I've been married 25 years, so the "steady girl" thing is covered.
I play with my pets, 1 dog, 2 cats. Go hiking with my boys.
I grow thousands of plants, tropicals and various temperate types, especially hot peppers. I play video games when I have the time,
Elder Scrolls Online is a blast (like Skyrim but with more territory). BTW for the gamers Fallout 4 is coming out in November.

If you are Christian and miserable, you need to take a moment, examine your life, and see what YOU ARE DOING WRONG.
And as I have been teaching my boys, there is REALITY, and there is PERCEPTION, don't confuse the two.

To me, it is a difficult one and the bible also says: "Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep".

I guess we have to try to put that in some sort of context. I sometimes do question whether we should be having a "good time" when there is so much evil in the world and others are starving, etc. Sometimes I may ask my self whether true celebration can only occur after it's all over and Christ has returned.

Other sides of the coin to me are that I'm sure God knows that as humans we can need a bit of "play time" and light relief. Also, perhaps those who do better than me can rejoice even now in a new future...

In my case, I can question even if I am truly saved although I know I'm in something I can't get out of even when I wish to. I can drift at times but I always seem to get pulled back to Christ.

Personally, no. I lost most of what I thought mattered to me with a trip to a mental hospital back in 1987 when I first really started to believe Christ was for real. Alcohol which OK was something I could over indulge in has in the past 10 years become at times a living nightmare despite prayers to God for help. I've found myself in situations I'd never have dreamed of before. I know many give the opposite type of testimonies but on these sort of just trying to cope with life on a day to day basis, my own has got worse since Christianity. Still (and I've even felt suicidal sometimes about it all) something pulls me back at least to "one day, thing will be different".

Even with this though, there are other sides to the coin. There are things, eg. girlfriends I've wanted (even fallen out with God over!) that these days I see as nothing but chasing lusts. I still like to buy "things" but more and more, I see some form of emptiness about them and might even question the insanity of the things the world chases. Matthew 13:44 might even make some sense to me. Values and importances do shift.

So for me, it can be a nightmare but maybe one day.
I am in just about this same situation.

Thats weird...I think if you had some christian friends to hang out with im sure you would have fun.

Video games dont seem fun to me if you playing them all by yourself.

My younger brothers are twins so they always had each other, but I played with them more than my sister cos she snobbed me! Dont you have any brothers and sisters Juk? If not, you need to make friends with people, esp fellow believers and hang out.

Thats weird...I think if you had some christian friends to hang out with im sure you would have fun.

Video games dont seem fun to me if you playing them all by yourself.

My younger brothers are twins so they always had each other, but I played with them more than my sister cos she snobbed me! Dont you have any brothers and sisters Juk? If not, you need to make friends with people, esp fellow believers and hang out.
I have a brother, but I think that he is an unbeliever, and he does not like what I like. And I also am an introvert, and I have problems talking to people if they did not talk to me first. But I can make good conversation, and a lot of people like me.

Back