How Do I Find God?

I went to church a couple times when I was little, but I never connected with it.

I'm 32. I've lived a life dictated by logic. I plase nearly all of my faith in myself. It has worked out pretty well. I fit in with others. I have friends.

But I'm still curious. I want to know why it could be a good thing to be spiritual. I want to learn if there really are great things that come from churches and church groups. I have never been a particularly social person, and I have never felt the draw to be part of a church.

Can you help me find god? I don't know what the word even means.

Matthew 7:8
For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.

That's the best way to explain finding God. It may feel weird for a while trying to find God. But I know you will enjoy being spiritual.

I think it's really important to find the right church. Everyone is different and has different needs. I've always found a good fit by trying different ones out until I found one I really wanted to keep going to.

My husband isn't social, either, so he needs a church where there isn't any pressure to join extra groups and where they just let him be. The one we go to now has various groups, but no one ever pressures him to go. They let everyone know about them in a general way and that is it.

I would suggest as far as finding God... just read His Word. Pray. Trust Him. Have faith. Believe.

About the going to church thing: you don't have to go, but it's encouraged. No one will judge you if you don't go.

Try reading the New Testament first. Read about the birth of Jesus. That to me really is what the bible is all about. I would also try reading the bible in order. I am doing that with an audio bible, and it's fun fun fun.

Interestingly enough; the 'Christian Life' is completely illogical-it is foolishness to the 'unsaved'. To truly understand the Bible, one must first accept Jesus Christ as their Savior and allow the Holy Spirit residence into that empty spot in their heart that God put there on purpose-just for the Spirit. Then the Bible becomes 'spiritual food' to grow on and we are able to "digest" the Word of God: first as 'milk for babes' and later as 'meat' as we grow in Christ.

...God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them... And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God....Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

I am the way, the truth and the life.

Love
Jesus the Christ-Son of the Living God

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
But God commandeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

With Love,
Paul-Apostle to the Gentiles

Thank you! I can tell you put a lot of time into your reply, but I really don't understand much of it. Is there a version of that that has been updated to language that is a little easier to understand?

Think of me like a complete newbie to all of this. I know the words you've shared have a lot of meaning, but to me they are just words. Words I've read for the first time. They are not sacred, they do not call out to me. Is there an easier way to relate or to understand?

John 3 (American Standard Version)

Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; 2 this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
4 Nicodemus *said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

9 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can these things be?” 10 Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel and do not understand these things? 11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know and testify of what we have seen, and you do not accept our testimony. 12 If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man. 14 As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; 15 so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.

16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21 But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.”

John 3 (New American Standard Bible)

Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; 2 this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

4 Nicodemus *said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

9 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can these things be?” 10 Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel and do not understand these things? 11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know and testify of what we have seen, and you do not accept our testimony. 12 If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man. 14 As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; 15 so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.

16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21 But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.”

John 3 (New King James Version)

There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”

3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”

5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

9 Nicodemus answered and said to Him, “How can these things be?”

10 Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things? 11 Most assuredly, I say to you, We speak what We know and testify what We have seen, and you do not receive Our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”

http://www.biblegateway.com/

I can throw scripture at you all day long on this forum; and it could never produce any fruit in your heart.

Seek Him out; and you will find Him.

Look for genuine Christians around you and allow them to minister to you....

Are there any tips to reading the bible? I've tried a few times but found it very difficult to get into or understand.

1 Corinthians 2:14 "...the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

So for a secular person the way to read the Bible is to not start out trying to question, prove or disprove, every word and every thought of every passage. Would you read any other book like that? If you did you would NEVER get the point (even with a textbook).

Also note and recognize you have a Biblios, a library, that composes a lot of what these people wrote as instruction and history. Rightly divide the books...Old Covenant Law...History....Wisdom literature....prophecy....New Covenant grace. The 66 different books were written by over 30 authors, over 1500 years of time, by people of all walks of life (fishermen, shepherds, servants, kings, priests, etc.,) from two continents in three languages. Many of these authors never met and did not know one another. Yet the Spirit of God chose these books to be joined together because despite all that variety they tell a single interwoven story that from thousands of years before the events, they point progressively toward one particular historical person who would come until He comes and then all else points back to those events (of that persons life, death, burial, and bodily resurrection given for us) moving us into a definite historically verified movement into a predestined future culminating in the parousia (the final eschaton).

So for the first time, just read it as one would read any ancient history, understanding it is of course written from their perspective. Don't make judgments until you have read it as you would any book. I would suggest every time you sit to read a chapter or two that you pray asking, "God if you are there please speak to me through this reading..."

And then just read it...after you get through the story from beginning to end if read with an open mind, I guarantee it will elicit changes in your life and thinking that you will never regret (and hopefully it will bring you to Christ)...now see my next post

In His love

Paul

I commend you for opening yourself to God and wanting to listen for Him.

In starting, there is certainly no reason why you should have to remove yourself from logic. For many (including myself), logic has served as a foundation for faith and is a great tool in one's own relationship with God and with teaching. Your question as to whether there can be good things within a spiritual life -- the answer is a loud YES. You're asking this because you know there is something lacking in your life. Every person, whether they want to admit it or not, could easily struggle with a hunger for something spiritual. Granted, many turn to the wrong thing. Even Atheism itself is an artificial response to this hunger. But there is great reason as to Christianity is the right answer, and not even because it's simply "nice" or "convenient" or what have you.

I'll keep this simple. The first thing I recommend doing is praying. Time a little time somewhere alone and ask God to give you an openness in hearing Him. Do this whenever and however best suits you, but do is as often as you can. Don't be too concerned whether you are wording it properly or not -- God knows what you are asking before you even do it -- but it's important to give Him your time in doing so regardless.

Talk to other Christians. Ask them questions. And most importantly, ask them to pray for you. Go to church to hear. Take that time to listen to God and give him your time. I strongly recommend reading the Bible. If you are confused as to where to even begin (you're not obligated to begin at Genesis), ask other Christians where perhaps might be best to begin. Join a Bible study, even better.

Lastly, feel free to ask questions and engage here as much as you want. We don't all know all the answers, and some of us here may have certain doctrinal disagreements, but we are all Christians and all understand that feeling of wanting to know more on the necessary spiritual level.

God bless you.

When God created this Universe, He built and maintains it by having implemented certain immutable laws. Physical laws govern the forms, forces, functions and their interdependencies for the purpose of making life possible and to maximize its potential for supporting life. He also made certain laws that govern living things which are equally immutable. Finally there are also immutable spiritual laws for man and the higher order creatures (like what we call angelic orders).

Immutable laws mean they do not change and they cannot be violated without devastating consequence...the Biblical definition of sin (1 John 3:4) is to violate the/a laws/law of God. So I am going to teach a spiritual lesson by using something you can relate to (like Jesus in His parables only far more crude)...a physical law (though the same concept applies to any of His immutable laws)!

Think about gravity for a few moments. Gravity is a law of the Universe. It is an immutable law (actually designed for our benefit like all His immutable laws). You cannot violate it without dangerous, sometimes life threatening, consequence. So imagine if in your will and rebellion you decided to test this and jumped (some fall by circumstance not will) off the skyscraper...now you are plummeting to sure death! Along comes a person and offers you a net. A net which is actually capable of catching you midfall and saving you. Once you realize the magnitude of what you have done do you call out to the person who can save you and ask for the net, or do you stay fixed in your self will and becom....ssSSSpppPPPlatttt?

Well spiritually, by rejecting God's Lordship and being the lord of our own life (Genesis 3:5) deciding good and evil for one's self, all have sinned...all have broken at least a couple of God's immutable laws and are right now presently plummeting to their ssSSSppplllAttt! But God loves you so much He has provided a net and that net is the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus the Messiah for your sake...

The Bible says the wages (or due reward) of sin is death (and all have willfully and some non-willfully violated His immutable laws) but the GIFT of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus...He loves you...He does not want you to suffer the eternal death scripture has revealed...admit you're currently your own lord, knowing you can do nothing in your power to stay the consequence of having made the big plunge....

Oh but Hallelujah I have good news...God has provided a net...He made you with free will so He will not force it on you. but if you call out for it He will send it and catch you before sssplaaattt! Now is the time...today is the day of your saving for in a moment you could be gone from this world, this could be your last day...then what? Sssppplaaatt!

Deuteronomy 30:19 "This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life...

In His love

Brother Paul

Thank you! I can tell you put a lot of time into your reply, but I really don't understand much of it. Is there a version of that that has been updated to language that is a little easier to understand?

Think of me like a complete newbie to all of this. I know the words you've shared have a lot of meaning, but to me they are just words. Words I've read for the first time. They are not sacred, they do not call out to me. Is there an easier way to relate or to understand?
The best advice is to read The Word. If you're looking for a version that's easier to understand, I suggest you start with The Message or New Living Translation.

Start with the book of John. Ask God to open your mind and heart to receive His Word.

If you don't have a Bible to read, here's a link to an online version.

The Message
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+1&version=MSG

NLT
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+1&version=NLT

You've gotten some good advice so far. But keep in mind, there's a wealth of diversity in Christian thought. For example, not all Christians believe the faith is illogical and the Bible doesn't make sense until you believe it first.

I would suggest finding some quiet time, getting a Holy Bible (newer version that's easier to read) and taking time to sit down and read thru it. I don't mean read the whole Bible, but let your interest and the Holy Spirit guide you thru it. Think about what you read and reflect on it - use that scientific mind you have. The next step would be to find a church you're comfortable with and/or another Christian to talk about God and what you read in the Bible. I welcome you to find Jesus Christ! I'll say a prayer for you.

I went to church a couple times when I was little, but I never connected with it.

I'm 32. I've lived a life dictated by logic. I plase nearly all of my faith in myself. It has worked out pretty well. I fit in with others. I have friends.

But I'm still curious. I want to know why it could be a good thing to be spiritual. I want to learn if there really are great things that come from churches and church groups. I have never been a particularly social person, and I have never felt the draw to be part of a church.

Can you help me find god? I don't know what the word even means.

How to find God ..
God is Spirit .. so to find Him, you must reach out in your spirit ..
God is Love .. so to commune with Him, you must have love in your heart ..

I place all my Faith in God .. people fail, I fail .. God does not fail ..
fitting in with others, and having friends is all good ..
but isn't enough .. that is only the worldly, and WHY people search for God ..
because the worldly alone cannot complete a person ..
once you have Faith, and repent of sin, then we become compliant to the Creators will ..
in doing this, you create a "personal relation" with God, and He will give you His Holy Spirit to you as an adopted son, and the Holy Spirit (depending on your abilities) gives gifts of His Spirit ..

the "Word" is Jesus the Son of God .. He is "Truth" ..
the word also applies to scripture ..

God Bless you when you seek Him ..
(if you are serious, He is the creator of all things and you must treat Him as such)

Do I have to go to a church? I really want to give myself the freedom to explore if this really has anything to offer without tying up my identity in it. Does that make sense?

It does to me ..
but it is different for each ..
I myself left my denomination because I sought a more "one-on-one" relation with God .. I erased all I was taught, and I spiritually went to God's Holy Mt and asked Him to teach me from the beginning .. He has been my Best Friend and companion since then .. still teaching me the Truth in His word .. or .. the Godliness of His word ..

Last edited:
Are there any tips to reading the bible? I've tried a few times but found it very difficult to get into or understand.

I always pray to God to lead me first ..
there is .. I suggest to start with the NT ..
read that in the order you find it ..
first read the 4 Gospels ..
then read Acts and the Epistles of the Apostles ..
once you are familiar with the NT, then you should read the OT as you are led ..
because the OT was a forerunner .. and once you understand the NT, the OT will makes sense .. kinda like knowing the 2nd half of a movie first, so you will catch HOW the stage is being set .. instead of all being a mystery until the ending is revealed ..
after that the books of prophecy can be read .. but they themselves cannot help your communion with God ..

Last edited:

I prefer the New American Standard Bible ..
here is a great website to use ..
http://www.blueletterbible.org/
in the top right corner you will see the search box ..
I use the pull-down menu and set it to NASB ..
where it says "verse or word" type in .. Matthew ..
use the arrows in the top left to go forward or backward a page ..
or use the double-arrows to go forward or backward a book ..

God Bless you as you seek Him with your spirit in love ..

Back