How do I know if the Holy Spirit is within me?

Major,

I partially agree with what you say, but as I still sin☹️ I have not completely totally changed.

I have asked The Lord to remove the sins I still struggle with, and maybe all in His good timing.

Do you think the initial Salvation only removes the original sin (Not the catholic one, but rather the one that was causing us the most suffering first.)

as this is what I am coming to believe happened at my Salvation. Like the sun does not just set and switches the light off. It takes time.

Salvation Via declares you NOT GUILITY of all of your sins! That is called the doctrine of "Justification" = just as if you had never sinned.

That does not mean you do not sin or will never sin again but that you are forgiven of that sin before you committ it.

Dear Major,
First, it’s good to see you back!

Major, I want to ask two questions, but at least one touches on a banned topic so I don’t want to get either of us in trouble, so please don’t feel obligated to address this if it is inappropriate.

I continue to sin daily, large and small, in both thoughts and actions. And so I don’t “feel” like I’ve got a non-revocable ticket to the Kingdom, but rather a chance to go that I could loose through continued sin. Many are of these are willful sins because I have recognized them, acknowledged them to the Lord and asked for forgiveness and the strength and wisdom not to repeat them… but repeat some of them anyway.

So my 2 questions are related to this:
Salvation Via declares you NOT GUILITY of all of your sins! That is called the doctrine of "Justification" = just as if you had never sinned.

How is this unlike OSAS?

If you repeat sins you’ve recognized and acknowledged, how can you claim to be really repentant and then forgiven?

Thank you and God Bless.

That does not mean you do not sin or will never sin again but that you are forgiven of that sin before you committ it.
Dear Major, First, it’s good to see you back! Major, I want to ask two questions, but at least one touches on a banned topic so I don’t want to get either of us in trouble, so please don’t feel obligated to address this if it is inappropriate. I continue to sin daily, large and small, in both thoughts and actions. And so I don’t “feel” like I’ve got a non-revocable ticket to the Kingdom, but rather a chance to go that I could loose through continued sin. Many are of these are willful sins because I have recognized them, acknowledged them to the Lord and asked for forgiveness and the strength and wisdom not to repeat them… but repeat some of them anyway. So my 2 questions are related to this: How is this unlike OSAS? If you repeat sins you’ve recognized and acknowledged, how can you claim to be really repentant and then forgiven?
Thank you and God Bless.

Hello Major and blueskies;

May I jump in?

Major, you are correct that our justification from God includes our Salvation, "delivered and rescued" with Forgiveness "wiped away from our sin." Both are blessings, sprinkled with mercy and grace from Jesus as our Lord and Savior, thus saving us.

blueskies,
There is a distinction and alignment between once saved always saved, along with Salvation and Forgiveness being saved when we receive Jesus Christ in an eternal relationship with Him.

God graciously embraces us with the whole package.

The challenge is, when we as men and women, sin and repent, are we really repentant? The difference is the heart when we truly turn from our wicked ways, versus repeating the same sin, when we truly don't want to give in to our fleshly desire.

At one time in my life I was enslaved to a sin that God exposed. I confessed, received the painful process of forgiveness from those I hurt, then sought counsel. From my heart I heeded the advice from a Christian author who encouraged me to stay far, far away from this sin. God also filled my thoughts of Him instead of entertaining the temptation. God is faithful.

I kept OSAS very basic on the border line according to the forum rules, and will take responsibility if this becomes an issue.

God bless you, both and your families.

May I jump in?
Any time Bob, I value your knowledge, views and experience.
The challenge is, when we as men and women, sin and repent, are we really repentant? The difference is the heart when we truly turn from our wicked ways, versus repeating the same sin, when we truly don't want to give in to our fleshly desire.
This question is something I ponder often.

A friend tells me if you are truly repentant… then you can’t bring yourself to repeat the sin. It would go against who you are, and your now new truly repentant nature, would not allow it.

God also filled my thoughts of Him instead of entertaining the temptation. God is faithful.
Glory to God and Bless you, I am aiming for this, and falling short way too often. It can be discouraging.

Thank you bobinfaith for your thoughts and testimony.

God Bless.

A friend tells me if you are truly repentant… then you can’t bring yourself to repeat the sin. It would go against who you are, and your now new truly repentant nature, would not allow it.

Glory to God and Bless you, I am aiming for this, and falling short way too often. It can be discouraging.

God Bless.

Hello blueskies;

We all know this is easier said than done and we cannot just bandaid our relationship with Jesus. There are serious lessons but God will empower us with the log in our own eyes if we are truly serious.

God bless
you, brother and your family.

God Bless.
Me too.

I have found that He sometimes gives us something else to do instead. He said He would give us a way out when it gets too much.

That’s also not my experience. I made the same error after repentance and knew I was doing it because But was overcome with anger at the belief God had left me.

Maybe I hadn’t repented enough?

But then how much repentance is enough?

Hello Major and blueskies;

May I jump in?

Major, you are correct that our justification from God includes our Salvation, "delivered and rescued" with Forgiveness "wiped away from our sin." Both are blessings, sprinkled with mercy and grace from Jesus as our Lord and Savior, thus saving us.

blueskies,
There is a distinction and alignment between once saved always saved, along with Salvation and Forgiveness being saved when we receive Jesus Christ in an eternal relationship with Him.

God graciously embraces us with the whole package.

At one time in my life I was enslaved to a sin that God exposed. I confessed, received the painful process of forgiveness from those I hurt, then sought counsel. From my heart I heeded the advice from a Christian author who encouraged me to stay far, far away from this sin. God also filled my thoughts of Him instead of entertaining the temptation. God is faithful.

I kept OSAS very basic on the border line according to the forum rules, and will take responsibility if this becomes an issue.

God bless you, both and your families.

You are welcome to JUMP IN any time you want to......as long as you agree with me!!!!;)

Me too.

I have found that He sometimes gives us something else to do instead. He said He would give us a way out when it gets too much.

That’s also not my experience. I made the same error after repentance and knew I was doing it because But was overcome with anger at the belief God had left me.

Maybe I hadn’t repented enough?

But then how much repentance is enough?

God Bless.
It seems Paul had this problem as well:
NKJV Romans 7:
14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
NLT Romans 7:
14 So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. 15 I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate. 16 But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. 17 So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.
18 And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. 19 I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. 20 But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.
21 I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. 22 I love God’s law with all my heart. 23 But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. 24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? 25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

This addresses this problem we have with sin. As it says, "The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord." He knows our hearts and our desires. He also helps us in the struggle.

There is also something here I have never heard analyzed or preached on. The difference between "sin" the noun and "sin" the verb. There is the "sin" noun form in our bodies and there is nothing we can do about that. It will be there until we get our new bodies. Then there is "sin" the verb form that we can work to control, or at least not plan our day in a premeditated way to include sin in our plans. What I've gleaned from scripture is that premeditated sin is what we need to work on and stop. The reactionary type of sin that our bodies perform is something we can only pray about for help.

Dear Major,
First, it’s good to see you back!

Major, I want to ask two questions, but at least one touches on a banned topic so I don’t want to get either of us in trouble, so please don’t feel obligated to address this if it is inappropriate.

I continue to sin daily, large and small, in both thoughts and actions. And so I don’t “feel” like I’ve got a non-revocable ticket to the Kingdom, but rather a chance to go that I could loose through continued sin. Many are of these are willful sins because I have recognized them, acknowledged them to the Lord and asked for forgiveness and the strength and wisdom not to repeat them… but repeat some of them anyway.

So my 2 questions are related to this:

How is this unlike OSAS?

If you repeat sins you’ve recognized and acknowledged, how can you claim to be really repentant and then forgiven?

Thank you and God Bless.
sin is sin so we all miss the mark . i suggest to you keep praying keep working on beating these sins iam going to give you some scripture ponder on . #1 .

John 2:1
2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: "advocate " --one who pleads another's cause, who helps another by defending or comforting him.
when we dont know how to pray the Holy Spirit /Ghost makes intercession for us. takes our plea to the throne of Grace and presents in the words that are needed to be said. my example Lord Help me is the greatest prayer there is.

2 .

2 Peter 1:2-4
2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

lets make this 3 .

Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

you are guaranteed victory over the flesh. its a learning process i call the Holy Ghost school of hard knocks . the Holy spirit will teach you how. the comforter is as one that walks along beside you

when we are born again we are given the Holy spirit note john 3 we must be born again born of the spirit . its a spiritual birth we cant see the spirit but we can sure see the effects of it ..

if one is not born again then they do not have the spirit romans 8 :16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
read romans 8​

Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
this answers your question how do i know 2 things you should know beyond a shadow of doubt. 1. are you saved--yes we can know

1 John 5:13​

“These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.”

2, you have the Holy spirit with in you --

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. this is why i say read romans 8 just not romans 8 but read the word . the spirit leads guides directs us.. the spirit is not a force but a still small voice He will and does speak to you.. just be sensitive and listen

Psalm 46:10
Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

you remind me of the preacher i listened to last night.. you just need a big dose of confidence

1 John 5:14
14 And this is the " confidence that we have in him," that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

I am going to give you some scripture ponder on . #1 .
1 John 5:14
14 And this is the " confidence that we have in him," that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
Dear forgiven61
I had forgotten about this post… it was a year and a half ago, but I am experiencing some difficulties at this very moment, so it was like a surprise phone call from G-d to see your response today.
Thank you for the blessings of your response, it is so very timely.

God bless.

Dear forgiven61
I had forgotten about this post… it was a year and a half ago, but I am experiencing some difficulties at this very moment, so it was like a surprise phone call from G-d to see your response today.
Thank you for the blessings of your response, it is so very timely.

God bless.
all i know is it showed up as new.. i dont always look at dates

This is an old thread but such a good topic...

The depth of our unrighteousness and the magnitude of His Grace. The distance between the two meets at the cross.

I don't think we understand this properly..... that our GOODEST GOOD is still NOT GOOD when held up to GOD.

Legalism teaches that we must be GOOD in order to be SAVED and stay good to remain SAVED.
The problem with this doctrine is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to achieve. It's actually a teaching that cannot be practiced... and to make matters worse... this teaching often leads to covering up secret sins because of the guilt and shame that a certain person wasn't so GOOD. I come from a family that believes in this type of religion. It's stifling and suffocating and does the opposite of what it claims to do. Instead of setting us free... it imprisons us.
If we cannot be secure in our SALVATION then... what is there to live for?? Who will dare to THINK they can be good enough to even bother trying???

That is how I saw things. Why bother even trying??? I know I am not good enough. THIS thought kept me captive for a great many years. Funny how BAD RELIGION can linger for such a long time and cause such DAMAGE to a soul that is already dying.

It's WRONG to state that being secure in our salvation is a ticket to ABUSE GRACE. There is no such thing as abusing GRACE. It is given freely by Jesus CHRIST for those who need it.
On this side of heaven... we will fall... we will sin... we will get dirty... we will make mistakes and sometimes we will simply rebel.

THAT is the journey of life. WHY do we try to cut GOD in little pieces and undermine the AMAZING gift of GRACE that CHRIST freely gives???

This is God's promise.

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: ~Philippians 1:6

Last edited:
Back