How Do I Receive The Holy Spirit?

I've been baptized but life has been miserable in a way that doesn't make sense to me. My pastor told me that upon baptism in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, that I indeed have the Holy Spirit in my life. Now people are asking me if I've received the Holy Spirit or not. I'm confused. But I do want to receive Him, I just don't understand what is taking place and how I do this.
Hi Banjo71,

If you ask God to have the Holy Spirit live through you, and you have faith, God will make this happen. It is that simple. Don't listen to any voice that says it won't. This is all you have to do is ask.

It is easy, simple, and I know God wants this for your life. I believe that you are the wonderful person that I see you to be from God for God made you with a beautiful purpose. I know from God that God made you with a beautiful purpose. The life of the Holy Spirit is for every believer that asks.

I've been baptized but life has been miserable in a way that doesn't make sense to me. My pastor told me that upon baptism in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, that I indeed have the Holy Spirit in my life. Now people are asking me if I've received the Holy Spirit or not. I'm confused. But I do want to receive Him, I just don't understand what is taking place and how I do this.

The fact that you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ & that God raised Him from the dead means you are saved. You were born again from the moment you had first believed, thus you had received the spirit of adoption, hence the Holy Spirit.

If you read John 3:3-18 in the KJV, may the Lord help you see that in His discussion with Nicodemus on how one is born again, it is by believing in Him is how anyone is saved or is born again. This is a promise from God; so believe Him: take Him at His word. Trust is the basis for all relationships & no one that puts their trust in the Lord Jesus Christ willl be put to shame.

Ephesians 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

Jn. 14:17 we see the Holy Spirit is with us after salvation. The kingdom of God will be in you is the next step.
Gal. 2:20 is beautiful. I am crucified with Christ, never the less I live, yet not I but Christ liveth in me. This is literal. The one thing tongues does Jude 1:20 it builds you up on your most holy faith. the word builds---oikos--
refers to building a house. In this case we are the house--temple of the Holy Spirit. 1Cor.6" God when inside you helps you to pray the will of God. That is for you and others. Naturally being tongues is a super weapon against Satan, Eph.6:18. prayer and supplication is for deliver from the powers of darkness. That is the context of armor.

1Jn.4:4 along with this verse Satan the god of this world blinds the minds. God's armor is light and metaphors of armor is what Paul used. The Holy Spirit, figured in the Mennorah of God in the temple, The lamp light is the Holy Spirit. So with the light of armor. The sword of the Spirit for example, is not just quoting scripture. But by faith believing in it's power which is only applicable by God's Spirit. That is how Jesus could do what he did. Same with Paul, Peter etc.

A little child has parents. They drink a baby bottle for milk to grow. The living waters of the Holy Spirit in us feed us on heavenly manna. it is called meat. We see the type when Israel complained and wanted quails. They were not ready for that yet and it made them sick. We have a teacher right inside us leading and guiding into all truth when we have the baptism of the Holy Spirit. He leads us to grow enough to eat the meat of God's deeper word.

Well banjo you have hit on one of those issues that separate some believers into groups. I have had what some would call the baptism in the Holy Spirit which is just as the scriptures record. But I have also seen that the Lord gives His Spirit to some in a less dramatic way if you will? I know many of my friends have been taught against certain aspects of the Holy Spirit, the gifts and such but in times of worship and seeking God they open a door to God to give them more than what they understood before...if that makes sense? Seek and ye shall find and ye shall be filled.

Asking Jesus to come into your heart and confessing him to be Lord of your life causes you to be "born of the Spirit"
But then there is another separate experience that is called being "baptized in the Holy Spirit" which when that happens gives you power to do what God calls you to do. As Jesus said....

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

This power is for ministry.
How do you receive this power? Simply by asking for it, and believing God will give it to you.

Luk 11:13 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

I did this more than 37 years ago. Before I was baptized in the Spirit I would hide my Bible when I went to work so no one would know I was reading the Bible. I was a very shy and introverted person, but after receiving the baptism in the Holy Spirit I started bringing all my Bibles and concordances to work in big stack out in plain sight for all to see. There is a holy boldness that comes with the Spirit for witnessing and ministry work. Other people at work started getting saved not because of me but because of the witness the Holy Spirit brings forth in the life of a Spirit filled believer. There is nothing else like it in all world when you can sense the power of God living inside of you, and flowing out.

Back