How Do We 'love God'?

Is it directed to me, the question?
If it is, I believe in obedience. However God does not want obedience if it doesn't come from the heart.
It's a real struggle to be obedient. Quite often we need to know why, so we won't make misakes.
Why don't use drugs, why no sex before marriage, why no lying?

Some things are obvious, because we understand them. By obeying we will increase our chances on living a good and prolonged life.

Most of the time, when we don't understand, like why no sex before marriage, will we need to go through the hardships to learn.

I believe in obedience, but like patience, is a virtue, that's very hard to develop.

'How' we love God can be taken two ways...1: How is it we are able to love Him,

Here are the two answers...
1: to be able: 1Jn 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.

1Jn 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

1Pe 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

2. How we show that we love Him:

Heb 6:10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

TC

Is it directed to me, the question?
If it is, I believe in obedience. However God does not want obedience if it doesn't come from the heart.
It's a real struggle to be obedient. Quite often we need to know why, so we won't make misakes.
Why don't use drugs, why no sex before marriage, why no lying?

Some things are obvious, because we understand them. By obeying we will increase our chances on living a good and prolonged life.

Most of the time, when we don't understand, like why no sex before marriage, will we need to go through the hardships to learn.

I believe in obedience, but like patience, is a virtue, that's very hard to develop.

What if those commands are not a bunch of rules, but part of our new nature? :) "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." 2 Corinthians 5:21. "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20. "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" 2 Corinthians 5:17. "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh." Ezekiel 36:26.

And what if the understanding and power to obey those commandments comes from Christ Himself? "It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God--that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption." 1 Corinthians 1:30. ""I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5.

The picture....especially when it comes to loving God....is very different depending on whether you see it as rules or as new nature. One is freeing, the other is not.... :)

Back