How do we recognise fear?

Via dolarossa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
After having a few weeks off from driving because of moving, and switching driving instructors, I get in my car now and notice I don’t like it!

I know I have had a fear of driving in the past but thought I got over it when I start to gain confidence after a few minutes on the road.

But I also think fear may show itself in other ways that I’m missing.

Not liking driving could be a subtle form of fear that is hiding behind the curtain of disdain.

I’m not a psychologist , but I have noticed some behavioural patterns that are self sabotaging.

What does the bible say?

Is this a tactic of the enemy?

Last edited:
The Bible says 'perfect love casts out fear, for fear has torment'. Check out 1 John 4:18

As for driving, well I don't really like driving but I'm not afraid of it....!

I don't like driving because it costs a lot of money to fill your tank all the time, plus it creates pollution and noise and you have to find somewhere to park etc etc. And sometimes I'm tired and don't want to be stuck in traffic at busy times.

Then I was thinking well I do like getting places without getting totally soaked in the rain. And when I did get my car, we prayed over it that it would be for God's use..so..maybe just pray over your car.

My car has carried a lot of passengers and books and furniture and other cargo and been many places on holiday, so, it is a blessing.

After having a few weeks off from driving because of moving, and switching driving instructors, I get in my car now and notice I don’t like it!

I know I have had a fear of driving in the past but thought I got over it when I start to gain confidence after a few minutes on the road.

Not liking driving could be a subtle form of fear that is hiding behind the curtain of disdain.

I’m not a psychologist , but I have noticed some behavioural patterns that are self sabotaging.

What does the bible say?

Interesting. Disclaimer: I am not a psychologist and anything I have to say is probably just speculation.

Fear has a useful function if it alerts us to actual threats and we know what those threats are. It is debilitating when there is a disconnect between an identifiable threat and the feeling of fear. If you know what is triggering your fear, you can address the fear by addressing the issue.

I don't like driving if my car isn't running right. That is not fear. I don't like driving in stormy weather, due in part to the fear of the very real possibility of getting into an accident. I mitigate that fear by having developed driving skills for bad weather. I am familiar with how my vehicle handles in slippery conditions because I have practiced skids and recovery. While one can't predict or control everything, I am fairly confident when I drive in inclement weather because I have developed a toolkit of skills for that weather. I also pay extra attention to traffic around me to reduce the chance of someone else involving me in an accident.

When you get in your car and say, "I don't like this", are you able to say what "this" is? If you can do that, you can begin to address the "this" with a strategy.

Fear may be a response to a real threat, it may be a response to a perceived threat which may or may not be based in reality, or it can be a response to a false or confused signal, a bit of logic in the program that got stuck. These are pretty common human dynamics IMHO.

I do believe the enemy also uses fear as a tactic, though it seems odd to me that he would center that fear on an activity like driving. The other self defeating behavior you allude to could very well be an attack of the enemy. In some ways, I'm not sure how much it matters whether the fear is from a perception of a threat or from the enemy. I would focus on the question of what, specifically, I am afraid of and go from there.

Another question; WHEN does the feeling come? Does it come when you first get into your car? Does it come when you're in traffic? Does it come when you think of where you're going?

Don't know if my ramblings are helpful. If feasible, an actual therapist could help you with clarity; it helps to know what you're fighting.

Maybe get your car checked -- does it have a warrant of fitness, been serviced etc?
If it's passed then you don't really have anything to fear from the car itself if it's all in working order.

What does the bible say?

It's that cellar door containing a spooky sound that we fear when we are all alone as a child.
It's not until we are shown the truth of what really lies beneath that door do our fears abate.
It may actually take opening that door to find out in order to overcome the fear....to see there was nothing to fear to begin with.

It's that cellar door containing a spooky sound that we fear when we are all alone as a child.
It's not until we are shown the truth of what really lies beneath that door do our fears abate.
It may actually take opening that door to find out in order to overcome the fear....to see there was nothing to fear to begin with.
That's a terrific way of putting it.
yes, its always worse when im alone. Paul knew this obviously....

Hebrews 10:25 ESV /​

Not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

What does the bible say?

Fear use ally comes from the unknown,

A sound in the night that you have not heard before.
A test that comes back...."suspicious".
A knock on the door.

But it can also be good. We all experience fear to one degree or another. However, A phobia is a twisting of the normal fear response. The fear is directed toward an object or situation that does not present a real danger. Though you recognize that the fear is unreasonable, you can't help the reaction. Over time, the fear tends to worsen as the fear of fear response takes hold.

Example......When I look in the mirror 1st thing in the morning!

Back