How do you Host the presence of God and what does that mean?

I imagine there'll be a flood of helpful answers posted here very soon, and I feel the smallness of what I can contribute to the answer to a question like that. Every little helps though, eh?

As I would understand it, hosting the presence of God would involve making way for the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is an ever-present help to us as believers. I know that I can't walk in this world and keep from sin and defilement without relying - daily, hourly - on the Spirit. If I do that, He will give me the power to overcome the obstacles and stand the tests that being in the world and being in a 'mixed condition' present to every believer. And as I go on, relying on the Spirit, moving in His power, letting Him have His way with me, He will keep my thoughts elevated. The Spirit loves to occupy the believer with Jesus, fill our thoughts with Him, so that we feed on Him and go on strengthened and nourished.

It's in those conditions that I think God can come in and be present. Those are holy conditions, suitable to the presence of God. I think we get the individual side on Revelation 3:20: "Behold, I stand at the door and am knocking; if any one hear my voice and open the door, I will come in unto him and sup with him, and he with me." That's a very blessed and personal communion with the Lord Jesus. "I will come in unto him and sup with him, and he with me." - there's something beautifully mutual about that. It isn't only for our joy and benefit - the Lord finds great pleasure in it too. We get it as well in John 14:23: "If any one love me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our abode with him." That brings the Father in, showing that the Father and the Son are in perfect accord about everything. Divine Persons love to bring us, as believers, into what they enjoy between themselves. I think it's right to say that we can experience this at any time. Even if we're in the middle of a busy day at school, or college, or work, we can snatch a moment to spend in prayer and get refreshment in this way.

In Matthew 18:20, I think we have the collective side. "For where two or three are gathered together unto my name, there am I in the midst of them." When believers gather together to the Name of the Lord Jesus, where holy conditions are maintained, He comes in, and He brings the atmosphere of heaven with Him. We experience this in the Lord's supper - He comes in in spirit, and leads the praise and worship of the saints to the Father. "I will declare thy name to my brethren; in the midst of the assembly will I sing thy praises." (Hebrews 2:12, Psalm 22:22).

Those are a few impressions which might form part of the answer to your question, Angela. These things could certainly be spoken about with much more clarity and with a much greater depth of experience than I have, and I'm sure the brethren will fill up what's lacking in due course.

I imagine there'll be a flood of helpful answers posted here very soon, and I feel the smallness of what I can contribute to the answer to a question like that. Every little helps though, eh?

As I would understand it, hosting the presence of God would involve making way for the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is an ever-present help to us as believers. I know that I can't walk in this world and keep from sin and defilement without relying - daily, hourly - on the Spirit. If I do that, He will give me the power to overcome the obstacles and stand the tests that being in the world and being in a 'mixed condition' present to every believer. And as I go on, relying on the Spirit, moving in His power, letting Him have His way with me, He will keep my thoughts elevated. The Spirit loves to occupy the believer with Jesus, fill our thoughts with Him, so that we feed on Him and go on strengthened and nourished.

It's in those conditions that I think God can come in and be present. Those are holy conditions, suitable to the presence of God. I think we get the individual side on Revelation 3:20: "Behold, I stand at the door and am knocking; if any one hear my voice and open the door, I will come in unto him and sup with him, and he with me." That's a very blessed and personal communion with the Lord Jesus. "I will come in unto him and sup with him, and he with me." - there's something beautifully mutual about that. It isn't only for our joy and benefit - the Lord finds great pleasure in it too. We get it as well in John 14:23: "If any one love me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our abode with him." That brings the Father in, showing that the Father and the Son are in perfect accord about everything. Divine Persons love to bring us, as believers, into what they enjoy between themselves. I think it's right to say that we can experience this at any time. Even if we're in the middle of a busy day at school, or college, or work, we can snatch a moment to spend in prayer and get refreshment in this way.

In Matthew 18:20, I think we have the collective side. "For where two or three are gathered together unto my name, there am I in the midst of them." When believers gather together to the Name of the Lord Jesus, where holy conditions are maintained, He comes in, and He brings the atmosphere of heaven with Him. We experience this in the Lord's supper - He comes in in spirit, and leads the praise and worship of the saints to the Father. "I will declare thy name to my brethren; in the midst of the assembly will I sing thy praises." (Hebrews 2:12, Psalm 22:22).

Those are a few impressions which might form part of the answer to your question, Angela. These things could certainly be spoken about with much more clarity and with a much greater depth of experience than I have, and I'm sure the brethren will fill up what's lacking in due course.
Wow, I just feel the power of those Words right now, awesome, omg, thank you

I have questions . . .
I have been Spirit filled and water baptized for nigh on 19 years. The afternoon that I burst forth in speaking in tongues I received the most amazing level of joy and uplifting revelation concerning Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. That the Word of God is true. The Jesus is the truth.
This joy was with me for nearly the whole first year. But over time the emotion and wow factor subsided. And I had to start dealing with unbelieving and unresponsive family, friends, neighbours, and strangers that I was so excited to tell about the gospel.
Having God - the Holy Spirit - indwelling me is not so much about emotion and holding my arms up to praise; but rather a steady reliable friendship and a God consciousness that is with me 24/7. One thinks on the scriptures and one has a WWJD attitude on everything.
The Holy Spirit never over-rides me, but rather teaches me through understanding the Word, the nudges and pokes to change course or not to think that thought. Praying in the Spirit is the real experience of an indwelling God - to be refreshed and strengthened, to be uplifted, to constantly enjoy answered prayers, blessings, provision and miracles.
Because Jesus is so real as a friend and a companion I understand the description of being Holy and the Temple of God. Therefore I separate myself from offensive worldly conduct and indulgences. I keep my testimony true and credible for others to see.
But also I am always thinking how can I serve my Lord Jesus? And how can I serve my brothers and sisters?
How can I witness and preach the gospel to this person?
Luke 17:21
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold,
the kingdom of God is within you.
Romans 14:17
For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
1Corinthians 4:20
For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.

Last edited:
I have been Spirit filled and water baptized for nigh on 19 years. The afternoon that I burst forth in speaking in tongues I received the most amazing level of joy and uplifting revelation concerning Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. That the Word of God is true. The Jesus is the truth.
This joy was with me for nearly the whole first year. But over time the emotion and wow factor subsided. And I had to start dealing with unbelieving and unresponsive family, friends, neighbours, and strangers that I was so excited to tell about the gospel.
Having God - the Holy Spirit - indwelling me is not so much about emotion and holding my arms up to praise; but rather a steady reliable friendship and a God consciousness that is with me 24/7. One thinks on the scriptures and one has a WWJD attitude on everything.
The Holy Spirit never over-rides me, but rather teaches me through understanding the Word, the nudges and pokes to change course or not to think that thought. Praying in the Spirit is the real experience of an indwelling God - to be refreshed and strengthened, to be uplifted, to constantly enjoy answered prayers, blessings, provision and miracles.
Because Jesus is so real as a friend and a companion I understand the description of being Holy and the Temple of God. Therefore I separate myself from offensive worldly conduct and indulgences. I keep my testimony true and credible for others to see.
But also I am always thinking how can I serve my Lord Jesus? And how can I serve my brothers and sisters?
For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
Second I think your words are beautiful. I want to keep Jesus and stay hungry for Him, I want to win, I want to fight hard!

this excites me, i am doing this, loving everyone, people i don't know, going up to them in hospitals and talking to them and praying for healing for them and they tell me their life story and letting family members know i can cry if they hurt my feelings and having a love bubble around me if someone yells at me in public, I only feel joy and peace, its so magical! I love being alone with Jesus and God and the Holy Spirit who are One

I love Worshipping all the time, I just want to keep on changing, worshipping is a key

Praying in the Spirit is the real experience
love that, that's how i got my first house when i was 17 years old, the Holy Spirit came to me and told me to pray for a house. I told the Holy Spirit i didn't want a house cause i had always lived in a house, at that time i lived with my husband in an apartment and it was so fun to me, but i knew it was God talking so i prayed for the house, lol. I prayed Lord give me a house and we don't have any money so give us a house with no down payment. I told my husband what the Holy Spirit said and what i was suppose to do and the church we were involved with. A week later my husband told me that the government was doing a experiment with 40 families broke up into 10 groups to build houses, we had to build them with a construction contractor . . . Even when i was not walking so good with Jesus the Holy Spirit would give me great prayers to pray. I am so in Love with The Lord, (crying right now)

I read this and it reads like a song but something's a little off, the song is so beautiful but. . .

The Holy Spirit just reminded me of when i was 10 years old i was watching a old classic movie and someone getting choked to death, and in my head a voice said, "if you ever get choked to death just lay down and pretend your dead" I said ok. two days later at night I had to go tell my mom and soon to be step dad something. We lived in this huge massive house that had lots of levels, so i went out of the house up stairs to the other house, knocked on the door, he opened the door, i sort of look in and saw my mom laying down, he tried to block my view, i didn't know what was going on. he then put his hand on the back of my neck and started pressing, leading me down the stairs. he then stopped, put both hands around my neck and choked me, i screamed first, then my body relieved itself, then i just lay down on the stairs outside, my older brother came out and ask what happening, the man said i killed her. In my head i thought it was a good time to get up and run, cause he might find out i'm not dead. So i take off running, but for some reason i run into the house, and up and around thru the kitchen to the living room and try to open the front door. Its an old heave door and the door knob is hard to open. he catches me and starts choking me again. all the kids and there was about 6 of us screaming, we are all 11 and under. i play dead again, i'm thinking, will this work again? i lay there along time, but soon i get up and run across the street to a neighbor who calls the police.

i don't know why i'm sharing that, but the Holy Spirit reminded me of it, because i never or hardly think of the past. God faithfulness to me even when i'm in a bad place is amazing and i just want every second of my life to please Him now and forever.

whether i have emotion or not i want to have emotion and lots of it
I think in America and sadly now in Australia much of what was Pentecost has been replaced by a Praise N Worship gospel.
I recently purchased a CD/DVD copy of Bethel Music doing a famous concert [For The Sake Of The World] and here we have Hillsong
both with their emphasis on entertaining the congregation through upbeat praise gospel music.
Being grounded in the Word of God, being sober and strong in the Spirit has been replaced by emotional worship. Whereby christians
are refreshed and made to feel good through music and emotional praise. Holding hands up in the air.
They have given away the truth of being filled with the Holy Spirit and the power of praying in that Spirit, in conjunction with being
rooted in the scriptures - they have exchanged this for being entertained by christian gospel musicians.
Emotions are fickle. What happens when trials and tribulations come upon a believer? Music has no power in itself.
My walk is not based on maintaining an emotional high through gospel music, but rather the constant presence and power of the
Holy Spirit. The scriptures tell me explicitly what to do and the Spirit enables me to carry out this daily walk.
And what will those waving their arms in the air do when the Middle East explodes and drags all nations into
Armageddon. Music and emotion will be of no value, but only the faith to be on your knees and to pray for salvation fervently.
Titus 2:
11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
1Peter 1:13
Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you
at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
1Peter 5:8
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
SOBER
1. Temperate in the use of spiritous liquors; habitually temperate; as a sober man. Live a sober, righteous and godly life.
4. Regular; calm; not under the influence of passion; as sober judgment; a man in his sober senses.
from Webster's dictionary, 1828

Waggles your fun
You know I have never been more constantly happier and at peace than for these last 19 years of Spirit-filled life.
No booze, no cigarettes, no marijuana, no hard drugs, no violence, no thieving,or ripping of the system.
And yet when I did all these things (and worse) before I was born again by water and the Spirit - I was not happy,
had no peace, my life was dysfunctional, violence, being with crims, everything was messy.
And for all the drug taking I did that did not make me happy. Out of it, but not happy.
Joy and peace and contentment and patience and gentleness really do come from Jesus by the Holy Spirit. :)

Happiness Is The Lord
Happiness is to know the Savior,
Living a life within His favor,
Having a change in my behavior--
Happiness is the Lord,
CHORUS:
Real joy is mine,
no matter when troubles start;
I've found the secret-
it's Jesus in my heart!

Happiness is a new creation,
Jesus and me in close relation,
Having a part in His salvation--
Happiness is the Lord,
CHORUS:
Happiness is to be forgiven,
Living a life that's worth the livin',
Taking a trip that leads to heaven--
Happiness is the Lord,
Happiness is the Lord,
Happiness is the Lord!

by Ira F. Stanphill, 1974

You know I have never been more constantly happier and at peace than for these last 19 years of Spirit-filled life.
No booze, no cigarettes, no marijuana, no hard drugs, no violence, no thieving,or ripping of the system.
And yet when I did all these things (and worse) before I was born again by water and the Spirit - I was not happy,
had no peace, my life was dysfunctional, violence, being with crims, everything was messy.
And for all the drug taking I did that did not make me happy. Out of it, but not happy.
Joy and peace and contentment and patience and gentleness really do come from Jesus by the Holy Spirit. :)

Happiness Is The Lord
Happiness is to know the Savior,
Living a life within His favor,
Having a change in my behavior--
Happiness is the Lord,
CHORUS:
Real joy is mine,
no matter when troubles start;
I've found the secret-
it's Jesus in my heart!

Happiness is a new creation,
Jesus and me in close relation,
Having a part in His salvation--
Happiness is the Lord,
CHORUS:
Happiness is to be forgiven,
Living a life that's worth the livin',
Taking a trip that leads to heaven--
Happiness is the Lord,
Happiness is the Lord,
Happiness is the Lord!

by Ira F. Stanphill, 1974
Thank you for sharing here I'm learning so much from you, I can't wait to meet you in the new earth

Back