How Do You Know When God Is Calling You To Do Something

and how do you know when you arent just convincing yourself of a particular action?

Ive been back and forth and Ive prayed and maybe I am just allowing my stubbon side to dictate my thoughts, but I am struggling with a very big decision. At times, I feel like God is pulling me to act, and others, I feel like I am just convincing myself to believe that my own thoughts are Gods words.

Any thoughts?

and how do you know when you arent just convincing yourself of a particular action?

Ive been back and forth and Ive prayed and maybe I am just allowing my stubbon side to dictate my thoughts, but I am struggling with a very big decision. At times, I feel like God is pulling me to act, and others, I feel like I am just convincing myself to believe that my own thoughts are Gods words.

Any thoughts?
If its a big leap of faith? God will confirm it to you...unless its a test...:eek: and then you must use the wisdom He has given you and use that wisdom to go forward..trusting that He will cover any mistake you might make...either way, you must increase in your faith..:)

Sometimes these things help us see what is a "lust" or a desire of the flesh, and what is a desire from the Divine Nature of God. I have learned a lot from my mistakes about what desires are coming from the flesh and what is Gods Will working in me .
May God be with you!

Its a fairly major decision. Ive been praying but I worry that the decision will be the wrong one. I have asked for His will to be done in my life and I feel compelled. Perhaps my issue is as you suggest: weak faith. I have recently recommitted on the heels of a major problem and I am struggling. I just wondered if anyone else has/had this problem? Is there a particular passage that would be fitting for this?

Thanks again

I struggle from the same thing. I can never tell if God is telling me to do something or if I'm just making things up in my mind. I haven't figured it out either.

Its a fairly major decision. Ive been praying but I worry that the decision will be the wrong one. I have asked for His will to be done in my life and I feel compelled. Perhaps my issue is as you suggest: weak faith. I have recently recommitted on the heels of a major problem and I am struggling. I just wondered if anyone else has/had this problem? Is there a particular passage that would be fitting for this?

Thanks again
What is your problem specifically?

Thanks again
yes

Pr 3:3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:
4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Any thoughts?

I've dealt with this myself. And in fact I think we all have. What I will say is this, though I don't generally ascribe to Calvinist thinking, I do believe God has set out a destiny for each of us. When God calls you to do something, there is no avoiding it. As controversial as the story of Jonah and the Whale is, what I believe we often miss from debating over whether he was "literally" eaten by a whale is what is the lesson and that is God "literally" had a whale eat him so that he would fulfill his purpose. To avoid God's will is like attempting to stop an ocean's current or the spin of the earth--you just can't do it.

Having said that, seeking counsel from others is an important step to take, making sure that what you are thinking of doing is biblical, and also keeping an open and humble mind. Sometimes I've found what I thought God was calling me to do, wasn't actually what I was being called to do, but the wisdom I gain from preparation helped me with what He eventually called me to do.

If it is any comfort, my pastor once spoke about standing up for what God was calling you to do, and that God honors someone who takes a leap of faith for Him, even if it is not the leap He intended him to take.

Any thoughts?
Faith is not absence of brains. Brains need to be renewed so that it is not ever a 'leap of faith'. Rather it must make sense, be practical and logical...if it's a big move. Generally the rule is... if you are young and single...you can do anything.

? Is there a particular passage that would be fitting for this?
Psalm 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way.

The moment 'you' have to get abnormally involved...it hints at more pride then God directing your steps / putting you where He wants you / distributing you like salt. Sometimes that dull and boring job is exactly where God wants us.

I struggle with that myself. There have been times I convinced myself that God wanted me to to something, only to have it backfire. I'd like to point out though, just because it backfired, doesn't mean it wasn't God's plan. I may have done something wrong after I committed to the plan.....meaning I caused God's plan to backfire....just like Moses did when he struck the rock instead of speaking to it.

So, my advice is to pray continually. Always have God in your thoughts throughout your day and especially when this decision crosses your mind. After you execute your decision, make sure you don't put God away. Keep Him in the front of your thoughts and keep Him involved even after the decision is made.

Any thoughts?

I know this will sounds absolutely crackers... but have you asked Him?

Any thoughts?
I think Mitspa has very good advice! We learn from mistakes.. We have to put faith in Lord that it is indeed Him guiding us.. We would make mistakes here and there.. As long as our heart is at the right place, He will take care of everything.. That has been a great learning for me.. Once I was extremely confused about a personal decision.. I did not know which one to choose.. I prayed about it fervently seeking some kind of sign or something.. Because I did not want to go by feelings.. But Holy Spirit brought me to the Bible verse where Jesus says..

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

This has been the key for me.. Whenever such decision making point comes, I try to focus on my personal relationship with Jesus.. When that is fine, actually I have felt the burden of decision making somewhat lifted from me.. My faith increases that Jesus is only directing my steps.. Because He has promised me that He is going to take care of everything else..

Back