How do you know?

How can you tell when God is testing you vs when it's you just making faulty decisions? When do you know it's time to stop vs push harder?
So I find myself in a situation where I have tried my best, I have done all I can do. But how do I know for sure that I should stop in faith knowing God will work it out? How do I know that God is not saying..keep working harder? Understand what I mean? Are there bible verses on this? How when do we know when to stop? I am someone who likes to be in control of everything. So I dont know how to not try to control things.

Reactions: aha
Are there bible verses on this?

PROV 3:1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
PROV 3:2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
PROV 3:3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:
PROV 3:4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.

I love this verse, PEACE shall be added.

More so, favor and good understanding shall be found, , oh my! in the sight of God!....

a bonus, we are all humans, we need each other compliments as well, , in the sight of our fellow man as well.

I think am a decade or two older than a young man.. but those older than us surely have more experience to give advice :)

We do face day to day decisions: that verse is to me very helpful indeed to seek TRUTH, and to apply MERCY? No?

? i think precisely the verse worded it, : it mentioned MERCY first then TRUTH :)

Last edited:
How can you tell when God is testing you vs when it's you just making faulty decisions? When do you know it's time to stop vs push harder?
So I find myself in a situation where I have tried my best, I have done all I can do. But how do I know for sure that I should stop in faith knowing God will work it out? How do I know that God is not saying..keep working harder? Understand what I mean? Are there bible verses on this? How when do we know when to stop? I am someone who likes to be in control of everything. So I dont know how to not try to control things.
Can you give a situation sorry dont understand. Like ok you wash you hair, then you just dry it off with the towel and let the sun and air do the rest. Or do you reach for the hairdryer and blow dry every strand? Then put more goo on it? If you go all out, it could take hours. It depends on how long youve got I suppose.

Story of manna in the desert comes to mind. The israelites were to gether the manna in the morning before it dried up. They stopped gathering when it was noon as they just needed enough for that day. On day before sabbath they gathered twice as much so thry could have a rest. But that was just for sabbath they didnt gather for the entire week.
They depeneded on God for their sustenance each day. If they gathered too much the manna would go off and get maggoty.

Can you give a situation sorry dont understand. Like ok you wash you hair, then you just dry it off with the towel and let the sun and air do the rest. Or do you reach for the hairdryer and blow dry every strand? Then put more goo on it? If you go all out, it could take hours. It depends on how long youve got I suppose.

Story of manna in the desert comes to mind. The israelites were to gether the manna in the morning before it dried up. They stopped gathering when it was noon as they just needed enough for that day. On day before sabbath they gathered twice as much so thry could have a rest. But that was just for sabbath they didnt gather for the entire week.
They depeneded on God for their sustenance each day. If they gathered too much the manna would go off and get maggoty.

Just as an example, let's say you are going to college and you need a loan for tuition. You have tried every bank, every lending institution you know but no one will give you a loan. So you are at a point where you have run out of options. When is it time to stop and leave it in God's hands vs continuing and almost running yourself wreck trying to work it out.....

PROV 3:1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
PROV 3:2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
PROV 3:3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:
PROV 3:4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.

I love this verse, PEACE shall be added.

More so, favor and good understanding shall be found, , oh my! in the sight of God!....

a bonus, we are all humans, we need each other compliments as well, , in the sight of our fellow man as well.

I think am a decade or two older than a young man.. but those older than us surely have more experience to give advice :)

We do face day to day decisions: that verse is to me very helpful indeed to seek TRUTH, and to apply MERCY? No?

? i think precisely the verse worded it, : it mentioned MERCY first then TRUTH :)

I know he answers me when I seek him but i somehow miss the answer

Just as an example, let's say you are going to college and you need a loan for tuition. You have tried every bank, every lending institution you know but no one will give you a loan. So you are at a point where you have run out of options. When is it time to stop and leave it in God's hands vs continuing and almost running yourself wreck trying to work it out.....
Ok dont you have student loans or scholarships available in your country? If you live in nz they have now made it dirst year of tertiary is free. Too bad they didnt do tht when I was at high school. Otherise ppl got loans from the govt.

Some banks have student packages and give you an overdraft. Otherwise maybe ask your parents or relatives to loan or fund your studies? Did you win a bursary or leaving certtifcate from your high school? Maybe ask the dean or principal to write you a recommendation letter? Or at least tell them your situation and they might know how to help you.

Speaking from my own perspectives I have made a lot of mistakes, too numerous of which to count. Sometimes I forget that God has already forgiven me, even though I might not have forgiven myself. Self forgiveness is also a testimony to how we can forgive others.

My conclusion on this subject is life is the ultimate test. We are always being tested; its whether we choose to be Godly.
Whatever faulty decisions we have made, we are forgiven. It is our duty as Christians to try not to repeat our mistakes, even though we do.
This is where self forgiveness comes in. Let go and give it to God. We can all sometimes forget how forgiving Christ is.

Lots of questions.

God always searches the heart of believers. He know what we will do before we think about what we will do. So then, He tests us not to know what we will do but to humble us so that we will depend upon Him and not ourselves.
Consider Jere. 17:10------Romans 8:27 and Hebrews 4:13.

We/you should never stop in faith.

Tests are not always pleasant experiences; however the testing of our faith is part of the Christian walk, and it produces good fruit such as patience/perseverance as seen in James 1:3.

God will always say....."Keep going/work harder".
Consider Exodus 16:4.
"Then the Lord said to Moses, “I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."

God gave them the food, but if the people did not go out and PICK IT UP, they would have starved to death.

Joshua 21:43...…..
"Thus the LORD gave to Israel all the land that he swore to give to their fathers. And they took possession of it, and they settled there."

God gave the people the Promised land.....BUT they had to possess the land.

Now think about Amos 4:12.........….
"Prepare to meet they God".

It is my opinion that life itself is preparation to meet God.

Your example will not work.

The reason why a bank will not give you a student loan has everything to do with your credit score which is all about choices in life.

The answer would be to work and pay off bad credit loans and raise your credit score and not wait on God to do something for you.

Yea I would work and save and then pay for my tuition rather than go into debt. You dont have to study right away and also you could do it part time while you are working, if this is indeed your situation.

Some workplaces will reimburse you for your studies after youve completed them. Its a bad idea to go into debt in general if there is no gurantee that you can pay it off. And using your friends or relatives as a guarantor isnt a good idea. If nothing else you will need to sell something, or raise funds another way. Either way you need to sacrifice something.

If its something God wants you to do He will provide, but its not really His way to give you a loan if you dont need it.

I do know that international students pay a lot more for education than domestic students. If college isnt available in your country then people do go overseas for it and willing to pay the high price, that a domestic student would enjoy for free.

Your example will not work.

The reason why a bank will not give you a student loan has everything to do with your credit score which is all about choices in life.

The answer would be to work and pay off bad credit loans and raise your credit score and not wait on God to do something for you.
I actually don't have any debt which is such a great blessing.:) But recently something great has happened and I see God's hands in it:)

Lots of questions.

God always searches the heart of believers. He know what we will do before we think about what we will do. So then, He tests us not to know what we will do but to humble us so that we will depend upon Him and not ourselves.
Consider Jere. 17:10------Romans 8:27 and Hebrews 4:13.

We/you should never stop in faith.

Tests are not always pleasant experiences; however the testing of our faith is part of the Christian walk, and it produces good fruit such as patience/perseverance as seen in James 1:3.

God will always say....."Keep going/work harder".
Consider Exodus 16:4.
"Then the Lord said to Moses, “I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."

God gave them the food, but if the people did not go out and PICK IT UP, they would have starved to death.

Joshua 21:43...…..
"Thus the LORD gave to Israel all the land that he swore to give to their fathers. And they took possession of it, and they settled there."

God gave the people the Promised land.....BUT they had to possess the land.

Now think about Amos 4:12.........….
"Prepare to meet they God".

It is my opinion that life itself is preparation to meet God.
Yes, I am thinking it is a testing of faith kind of thing that is happening. It does make you weary though

Yea I would work and save and then pay for my tuition rather than go into debt. You dont have to study right away and also you could do it part time while you are working, if this is indeed your situation.

Some workplaces will reimburse you for your studies after youve completed them. Its a bad idea to go into debt in general if there is no gurantee that you can pay it off. And using your friends or relatives as a guarantor isnt a good idea. If nothing else you will need to sell something, or raise funds another way. Either way you need to sacrifice something.

If its something God wants you to do He will provide, but its not really His way to give you a loan if you dont need it.

I do know that international students pay a lot more for education than domestic students. If college isnt available in your country then people do go overseas for it and willing to pay the high price, that a domestic student would enjoy for free.

Yeah, that is a little scary for me. I have managed to go through life so far debt free. Let's see how it works out

Yeah, that is a little scary for me. I have managed to go through life so far debt free. Let's see how it works out
Just need to let go and trust God. He is in control, so loosen your grip. He's got you.
For people that want to control everything it kind of hard to change your mindset. The thing is God knows the end from the beginning so, whatever happens He knows what route to take before you do.

Yes, I am thinking it is a testing of faith kind of thing that is happening. It does make you weary though

It has been said that what does not kill you makes you stronger.

Heb. 12:11
"Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby."

God disciplines His children.

Interesting remarks: "I am someone who likes to be in control of everything. So I dont know how to not try to control things." Sounds to me like you answered your own question.

Just need to let go and trust God. He is in control, so loosen your grip. He's got you.
For people that want to control everything it kind of hard to change your mindset. The thing is God knows the end from the beginning so, whatever happens He knows what route to take before you do.

He does. I just wish he would tell me so I can prepare :D

It has been said that what does not kill you makes you stronger.

Heb. 12:11
"Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby."

God disciplines His children.
And this is also very true. I have seen my growth over the past few years since I got saved but wow......it's hard

Interesting remarks: "I am someone who likes to be in control of everything. So I dont know how to not try to control things." Sounds to me like you answered your own question.

Yes I like to schedule my life. :ROFLMAO: I laugh because life is quite the opposite. So imagine my daily anxiety levels.

Back