How Do You Pray?

Just curious..How do you guys pray? How often do you pray in a day? What do you pray about mainly? Like what percentage would you say you spend praying for others, praying to praise him, and praying for personal things? Do you find He answers you right away? Do you find sometimes no answers? Do you pray to the father or Jesus or Mary or what? Do you pray for the same thing daily until you get an answer? Do you get on your knees? Do you close your eyes? Do you put your hands together? Do you pray out loud or quietly? Do you use scripture? Do you pray with your family or people in church? Do you think typing your prayer counts as praying or do you have to say it as you type it for it to count? Just wondering

I pray in my head wherever and whenever. I normally get an answer / 'understanding' within a few seconds. I pray aloud at prayer meetings at my church, but don't feel like I connect properly with God doing that.

Getting on my knees seems odd / sucking up / unworthy. I can't shake that feeling. I last got on my knees when my kid was in icu.

I do respect Mary and saints. I understand the Catholic position is not to worship them when praying to / with them, but it seems 1. a waste of time and 2. silly to be mindful of them when praying to and hearing from the 'God of the universe'.

Do you think typing your prayer counts as praying or do you have to say it as you type it for it to count? Just wondering
No. God is not dumb.

God's ability to hear our prayers reminds me of those game shows where they play a few chords of a song and then you must guess what the song is. God always gets it right. Prayer is mostly for us to hear God's will on what we praying for.

Just curious..How do you guys pray? How often do you pray in a day? What do you pray about mainly? Like what percentage would you say you spend praying for others, praying to praise him, and praying for personal things? Do you find He answers you right away? Do you find sometimes no answers? Do you pray to the father or Jesus or Mary or what? Do you pray for the same thing daily until you get an answer? Do you get on your knees? Do you close your eyes? Do you put your hands together? Do you pray out loud or quietly? Do you use scripture? Do you pray with your family or people in church? Do you think typing your prayer counts as praying or do you have to say it as you type it for it to count? Just wondering

I do all the above
1. I pray many times a day...I don't count. A prayer only takes a few seconds. A prayer does not need to be 1000 word long. Just a few words from your heart.... Help me Jesus. You will be heard.
2. I pray for more faith and peace. My families safety and health. Work. Direction!....what do I do now Lord?
3. There is no percentage. I just do it thru the day
4. He answers right away most of the time. Depends what I am praying for
5. I pray to Jesus. Mary cannot do anything for you. Mary was anointed ...yes...but that is all
6. I get on my knees sometimes. Sitting on a big rock. During fishing. Sitting in my chair hanging out with you guys. Most of the time I close my eyes..it helps me to concentrate and block outside distractions
7. I pray out loud and silently
8. I pray with fam and church and outside church
9. YES... typing your prayer is legit. it's what's is in your heart. When i pray here at CFS I type as I say aloud.

Could be a little different for other folks. Hope that shed a bit of light for ya Where :)

Last edited:
I pray throughout the day. Most the time it is just thanking the Lord.
I pray at night over my house, family life...etc. When I do pray, at night, I am I a sort of spiritual battle as well. This is for the protection of my family and others I am led to pray for.
I haven't done this in a long time, but I do like a nice quiet space with no lights, just candles and incense, and just meditate on the Lord.

I pray every day, in the morning and again at night and sometimes in between. I pray for everything; family, friends, brothers and sisters on CFS, occupation, school, for Jesus to fill the gaps in where I lack faith, for Jesus to dismantle any pride that has built up inside me, giving the Lord continued praise and thanksgiving, thanking him every morning that I awake to breath another breath for me to carry out His will, prayers in Jesus' name for spiritual warfare, discernment, humility, wisdom, etc.

I pray at least once a day, but usually because something is bothering me. I will pray at anytime during the day, but usually I think prayers rather than speak them, knowing that God is fully aware of my thoughts. Sometimes if I am distraught about something I will speak aloud. I often pray for strength and guidance. I also pray for my character flaws to be corrected. I pray to be made into the most righteous man possible. I pray that I can have the fortitude to keep my rage and inner darkness at bay. I'll pray for forgiveness the moment that I feel convicted about something. I also pray for mercy, and implore God to prevent me from getting hit by problems that are going to wipe me out. One could accurately say that I pray more out of fear and misery than for any other reason.

I rarely ever pray out loud. When I do it's because my wife is with me and I'm praying a long drive goes well or blessing our meals. I say the prayer in Matthew 6 every night followed by prayers for all my peeps on here and anyone else I know that needs prayer. I have a prayer list on my phone and through E-Sword so when I'm praying before bed I pull up the list and go one by one praying for each person.

I'd say I pray very poorly. That's part of the reason that I recite the prayer in Matthew 6 every night. I'm hoping that covers everything and makes up for all the terror that is my prayers after. My mind wonders all over the place and I never say what I feel like I want to say. I feel I should have said it better or differently. I know God knows what I mean, but I would still like to pray better.

I read two chapters from the Poetic books each day, so when I'm on Psalms I'll pray those if I like it. I figure David is much better at praise and prayer than I ever will be so I might as well follow him.

I'd say I pray very poorly. That's part of the reason that I recite the prayer in Matthew 6 every night. I'm hoping that covers everything and makes up for all the terror that is my prayers after. My mind wonders all over the place and I never say what I feel like I want to say. I feel I should have said it better or differently. I know God knows what I mean, but I would still like to pray better.

I read two chapters from the Poetic books each day, so when I'm on Psalms I'll pray those if I like it. I figure David is much better at praise and prayer than I ever will be so I might as well follow him.[/QUOTE]

HT there is no bad prayer. You say I pray poorly. That's what you think. But is it really? Satan is trying to distract you from talking to God. Rebuke him right away. Focus on the face of Jesus. Then begin your prayers.

David was David. HT is HT. It's not about who prays better but where your heart is. God listens to all. :)

I pray at least once a day, but usually because something is bothering me. I will pray at anytime during the day, but usually I think prayers rather than speak them, knowing that God is fully aware of my thoughts. Sometimes if I am distraught about something I will speak aloud. I often pray for strength and guidance. I also pray for my character flaws to be corrected. I pray to be made into the most righteous man possible. I pray that I can have the fortitude to keep my rage and inner darkness at bay. I'll pray for forgiveness the moment that I feel convicted about something. I also pray for mercy, and implore God to prevent me from getting hit by problems that are going to wipe me out. One could accurately say that I pray more out of fear and misery than for any other reason.
My prayers are the same way. It is alright to fear God. Eventually you will pray and notice you aren't praying out of fear anymore but out of thanks and love for how great God is and how he saved you from your sins.

Fear I can understand as we're all supposed to have a healthy fear of God, but misery? Are you miserable, brother?
I assume he is depressed and wants God to help him. A lot of people reach God only when all hope is run out, and he is praying for help. I can understand, I was the exact same way. Misery can be a good thing if it helps you claim salvation by God.

Fear I can understand as we're all supposed to have a healthy fear of God, but misery? Are you miserable, brother?

I read two chapters from the Poetic books each day, so when I'm on Psalms I'll pray those if I like it. I figure David is much better at praise and prayer than I ever will be so I might as well follow him.

HT there is no bad prayer. You say I pray poorly. That's what you think. But is it really? Satan is trying to distract you from talking to God. Rebuke him right away. Focus on the face of Jesus. Then begin your prayers.

David was David. HT is HT. It's not about who prays better but where your heart is. God listens to all. :)[/QUOTE]
I agree. Can satan hear our prayers though? I think it is more likely just the sin in all of man kinds heart that is messing up HT's prayers.

To me prayer is not something you start and then stop. It is something you start and never stop. We are to pray always with all prayer. Prayer is always directed to God and it is directed by God. The reason the Father knows what we are going to pray for before we ask is because he is the one telling us what to pray for!!! We do not know what to pray for as we ought but the Holy Spirit helps us in this area, Thank God, because he knows what we need and what others need to. Having our hearts set on the things above 24/7 always keeps us in contact with the Father.

To me prayer is not something you start and then stop. It is something you start and never stop. We are to pray always with all prayer. Prayer is always directed to God and it is directed by God. The reason the Father knows what we are going to pray for before we ask is because he is the one telling us what to pray for!!! We do not know what to pray for as we ought but the Holy Spirit helps us in this area, Thank God, because he knows what we need and what others need to. Having our hearts set on the things above 24/7 always keeps us in contact with the Father.
I only say Amen to give my mind a rest :)

David was David. HT is HT. It's not about who prays better but where your heart is. God listens to all. :)

Yeah. I just have trouble staying focused. I have to pull myself back to the prayer every minute or two. I'll get the hang of it. I'm still pretty new to all this.

Prayer is not just speaking words, it is also listening to the voice of God. The Lord speaks to our hearts not mind. My mind is unfruitful, but my heart always open to his voice. It is called "repentance" which most people think it means feeling sorry for your sins. The word "repentance" means, "to change your mind" It does not mean to change what you are thinking about, but to change from your carnal human mind to the mind of Christ that dwells in your heart.

Just curious..How do you guys pray?
Sometimes, I pray my own words; sometimes, I pray Scripture, sometimes I pray the prayers in my prayer book.
How often do you pray in a day?
Oh, my! I don't know! There are many opportunities for prayer, since I work for a church.
What do you pray about mainly?
I have a little book that I often use. In it, I have my husband, my children (including step children), my siblings, siblings children, some cousins, friends, and then it goes into those on removeable sticky-note-paper: Supreme Court judges, judges in my area, people in political offices from President to the mayor, and the person I hope will be our next President. Depending upon my time, I try to pray for all of these that I can, but mainly for my family.
Like what percentage would you say you spend praying for others, praying to praise him, and praying for personal things?
I have No Idea! But praise is a fairly large portion.
Do you find He answers you right away? Do you find sometimes no answers?
He always answers, one way or another, but you already knew that. :D
Do you pray to the father or Jesus or Mary or what?
I often pray "Father; otherwise, I use a different name for our Messiah -- out of love for Him and habit. :)
Do you pray for the same thing daily until you get an answer?
Sure.
Do you get on your knees?
THESE knees? NO!!! It hurts too much.
Do you close your eyes?
Sometimes but not most of the time.
Do you put your hands together?
Sometimes, but not most of the time.
Do you pray out loud or quietly?
Either one.
Do you use scripture?
Yes.
Do you pray with your family or people in church?
With the people where I worship but my family all go to different places of worship.
Do you think typing your prayer counts as praying or do you have to say it as you type it for it to count? Just wondering
Sure. Why not.

David was David. HT is HT. It's not about who prays better but where your heart is. God listens to all. :)[/QUOTE]
How do you get the bible verse link like that?

Back