How Do You Read Your Bible?

Lol you are not old, your only 24...
And thats great, I was thinking of dollar general... but my best friend's mom works at Home depot ^~^

Yah, sometimes I find myself going back to books I like rather than reading what I haven't cover... think
I have psalms, Job, 1-2 chronicles, Jeremiah, Isaiah ..and ezekiel left.

I read for quality, not quantity. I find if I'm reading and not focused I don't retain anything. My goal is a chapter a day from the OT and the NT. Sometimes I read a lot more without realizing. As long as it's quality time, I don't worry how much I read.

I read for quality, not quantity. I find if I'm reading and not focused I don't retain anything. My goal is a chapter a day from the OT and the NT. Sometimes I read a lot more without realizing. As long as it's quality time, I don't worry how much I read.

I hear a lot of people say that and I agree to an certain degree. I mean, for me I prefer to read something over and over again fairly quickly rather than reading slowly. It just helps with the over all flow to me much more than only reading a chapter or two a day. I'm sure I'd never read the Bible if I only read a chapter or two a day. I'd feel like I didn't make any progress.

I hear a lot of people say that and I agree to an certain degree. I mean, for me I prefer to read something over and over again fairly quickly rather than reading slowly. It just helps with the over all flow to me much more than only reading a chapter or two a day. I'm sure I'd never read the Bible if I only read a chapter or two a day. I'd feel like I didn't make any progress.
Not wishing to sound like I'm judging, but God wants people to meditate on His word, not read it for the sake of reading. To meditate is to go very slowly. I've written an extensive entry on this issue on my blog: http://abdicate.net/blog/?p=161 I hope you read it.

I would say do both. Before I go to bed I read at least two chapters. If there is something I didn't understand or if the Holy Spirit is trying to tell me something I will come back to same verse when I have more time to study it more.

I see your point.. Often meaning of a verse is very well explained in subsequent matters :) I am learning this while studying Romans.. Paul mentions something and explains it 2 chapters late!!

I see your point.. Often meaning of a verse is very well explained in subsequent matters :) I am learning this while studying Romans.. Paul mentions something and explains it 2 chapters late!!

See, and then if you halted your reading to try to figure out what that verse meant then you would have read less that day than if you would have just kept on reading. I love studying, but I think we are required to read and study. If I have a question about something I read I write it down and keep reading. If it isn't explained in my daily reading then it becomes what I study after my reading is finished.

Struck a cord there...
Can you blame me? I think it's ridiculous that any Christian would tell a fellow Christian to read the Bible less. No one posts on Brian's book reviews and says "Hey now! Limit yourself to two pages day so you really learn this stuff!" No one says that because it's ridiculous.

I even did this in school. If I was supposed to read a chapter in my text book I'd read it completely, reread it, and then study what didn't make sense to me. It's the most effective way for me to study.

Honestly, if I could somehow get paid to read the Bible for eight hours a day rather than actually working I would do it. I want to read it as many times as I possibly can while I'm alive.

I imagine going having a conversation with God would be awkward if He asked how much time you spent in His collection of books and the only response I could give is "Oh yeah, I read that once." If it was important enough for God to protect all this time I figure it at least warrants 30 minutes of my day.

Another note, reading slower is not reading better. That is a myth.

Can you blame me? I think it's ridiculous that any Christian would tell a fellow Christian to read the Bible less. No one posts on Brian's book reviews and says "Hey now! Limit yourself to two pages day so you really learn this stuff!" No one says that because it's ridiculous.

I even did this in school. If I was supposed to read a chapter in my text book I'd read it completely, reread it, and then study what didn't make sense to me. It's the most effective way for me to study.

Honestly, if I could somehow get paid to read the Bible for eight hours a day rather than actually working I would do it. I want to read it as many times as I possibly can while I'm alive.

I imagine going having a conversation with God would be awkward if He asked how much time you spent in His collection of books and the only response I could give is "Oh yeah, I read that once." If it was important enough for God to protect all this time I figure it at least warrants 30 minutes of my day.

Another note, reading slower is not reading better. That is a myth.
Totally proves you didn't read my post... so believe what you want but you're in complete error and in full misunderstanding of what I said.

I didn't say that you said anything. What I said was that I hate people telling me to read less of my Bible.
Then why did you quote what I said? Seems very counterintuitive. If you'd read my blog's information you'd see what I meant. Do what seems right in your own eyes, you obviously don't care what I say one way or the other.

Then why did you quote what I said? Seems very counterintuitive. If you'd read my blog's information you'd see what I meant. Do what seems right in your own eyes, you obviously don't care what I say one way or the other.
You stated that you "struck a cord." That means I am sensitive to that issue, correct? If I'm wrong then I apologize but my post still stands as my opinion.

Back