How do you understand the Proverbs 25:21

Prov 25:21 NIV) If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.

(Prov 25:22 NIV) In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head, and the LORD will reward you.

I like how it says to feed and give water, but isn't it a bit deceptive to do it so that you would heap burning coals on his head.

I am not saying either way, I am just trying to understand.

Thanks

I like how it says to feed and give water, but isn't it a bit deceptive to do it so that you would heap burning coals on his head.
Proverbs 25:
21 If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink:
22 For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee.

This is not a literal pouring of hot coals and embers upon a person's head - rather it is a metaphorical expression or parable.
By kind actions, brotherly love in the face of adversity, feeding and giving drink to an adversary will cause them severe embarrassment, and
burn away their prejudices and hatred. The pouring out of kindness is equivalent to using a terrible punishment against them - they are overcome
and defeated.

Romans 12:
17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18 If it be possible, as much as lies in you, live peaceably with all men.
19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

or as Facebook would say - "Be kind to the unkind. They need it most." ;)

Prov 25:21 NIV) If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.

(Prov 25:22 NIV) In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head, and the LORD will reward you.

Thanks
Actually at the time raps were worn around the head. They would take hot coals and place them in their head raps and keep warm. The desert nights could get pretty cold. They could place them in their bedding.

I thought this was pretty cool and just wanted to share it. :)
Blessings

Thanks
In dumping coals on the head of the enemy you help to release it from the person. Good begets good and melts a hard heart.

The enemy, the opposer and oppressor cannot flourish in these circumstances and will, with patience, perseverance, and continued lovingkindness on the part of the faithful, be cast out, rather the person will be set free from there greed or pride or envy, whatever is making them enmity with GOD in that particular scenario.

It is not deceitful as the enemy of the utterly faithful believer is too the enemy of GOD, and will ultimately be destroyed, leaving only the Will of GOD.

Hope that helps.

Peace

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

Back