How do you understand?

God's_Child

Account Closed
How do you understand?

Please, can you tell me how you understand these verses:

36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.
(Lk.22:36-38)

What sword did Jesus mean? Does it has a spiritual meaning only - the sword as the Word of God, maybe?

That is indeed a dificult set of verses and I have never personally givent ehm much thought until now - below are excerpts from several bible commentairies that may help shed some light:
ALBERT BARNES NOTES ON THE BIBLE

Luk 22:36 -
But now - The Saviour says the times are changed. "Before," he sent them out only for a little time. They were in their own country. Their journeys would be short, and there was no need that they should make preparation for a long absence, or for encountering great dangers. But "now" they were to go into the wide world, among strangers, trials, dangers, and wants. And as the time was near; as he was about to die; as these dangers pressed on, it was proper that they should make provision for what was before them.
A purse - See the notes at
Mat_10:9. He intimates that they should "now" take money, as it would be necessary to provide for their wants in traveling.
Scrip - See the notes at
Mat_10:10.
And he that hath no sword - There has been much difficulty in understanding why Jesus directed his disciples to arm themselves, as if it was his purpose to make a defense. It is certain that the spirit of his religion is against the use of the sword, and that it was not his purpose to defend himself against Judas. But it should be remembered that these directions about the purse, the scrip, and the sword were not made with reference to his "being taken" in the garden, but with reference "to their future life." The time of the trial in Gethsemane was just at hand; nor was there "time" then, if no other reason existed, to go and make the purchase. It altogether refers to their future life. They were going into the midst of dangers. The country was infested with robbers and wild beasts. It was customary to go armed. He tells them of those dangers - of the necessity of being prepared in the usual way to meet them. This, then, is not to be considered as a specific, positive "command" to procure a sword, but an intimation that great dangers were before them; that their manner of life would be changed, and that they would need the provisions "appropriate to that kind of life." The "common" preparation for that manner of life consisted in money, provisions, and arms; and he foretells them of that manner of life by giving them directions commonly understood to be appropriate to it. It amounts, then, to a "prediction" that they would soon leave the places which they had been accustomed to, and go into scenes of poverty, want, and danger, where they would feel the necessity of money, provisions, and the means of defense. All, therefore, that the passage justifies is:
1. That it is proper for people to provide beforehand for their wants, and for ministers and missionaries as well as any others.
2. That self-defense is lawful.
Men encompassed with danger may lawfully "defend" their lives. It does not prove that it is lawful to make "offensive" war on a nation or an individual.
Let him sell his garment - His "mantle" or his outer garment. See the notes at
Mat_5:40. The meaning is, let him procure one at any expense, even if he is obliged to sell his clothes for it intimating that the danger would be very great and pressing.

LIGHTFOOTS COMMENTAIRY ON THE NT FROM THE TALMUD AND HEBRAICA

Luk 22:36 -
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it; and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.[Let him sell his garment, and buy a sword.] Doth our Saviour give them this counsel in good earnest?
I. He uses the common dialect. For so also the Rabbins in other things: "He that hath not wherewithal to eat, but upon mere alms, let him beg or sell his garments to buy oil and candles for the feast of Dedication," etc.
II. He warns them of a danger that is very near; and in a common way of speech lets them know that they had more need of providing swords for their defence against the common enemy, than be any way quarrelling amongst themselves. No so much exhorting them to repel force with force, as to give them such an apprehension of the common rage of their enemies against them, that might suppress all private animosities amongst themselves.

I believe that Jesus was preparing them for the things to come.
The trials and tribulations on the horizon, as compared to the things that they were used to.
Until now, they had been the recievers of others hospitality.

Entering into peoples homes, having meals with people as they traveled.

But things were about to change, Jesus would soon be arrested, and no longer would the disciples be welcomed. They were about to face great opposition.

But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it,
"Get ready to start paying your own way men." [paraphrasing]

and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
"Be on guard, be ready to defend yourselves. This is about to get nasty." [again paraphrasing]

Jesus knew that he would be branded a criminal, and that His disciples would be in danger for following Him.

But then the disciples said,
Lord, behold, here are two swords.

As if to say; "BRING IT ON!" :medieval:

Jesus said; "That is enough."
"Dont get TOO caried away."

Personally, I find a little humor in this message.

Can't you just picture Jesus preparing the way, and He says; "You may need to be prepared to protect yourselves."

Then someone stands up with not one, but TWO swords...
"Check these out Lord!, TWO swords!, Let's Rock!"

(I have a feeling it was Peter because shortly after this he, he does a little ear trimming.) :D

GENEVA BIBLE TRANSLATION NOTES
Luk 22:36 - (m) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take [it], and likewise [his] scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
(m) He says all this using an allegory, as if he said, "O my friends and fellow soldiers, you have lived until now in relative peace: but now there is at hand a most severe battle to be fought, and you must therefore lay all other things aside and think about dressing yourselves in armour." And what this armour is, is shown by his own example, when he prayed afterward in the garden and reproved Peter for striking with the sword.

JOHN WESLEY'S EXPLANITORY NOTES

Luk 22:36 - But now - You will be quite in another situation. You will want every thing. He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one - It is plain, this is not to be taken literally. It only means, This will be a time of extreme danger

There are even opinions expressed in some commetairies that the word sword was later added but after looking at over a dozen traslations I see nither evidence of that or the need to retranslate scripture to fit my point of view- many blessings Larry

Back