How does God speak to you

Hi.

I have seen videos and have read of some Christians sayings things like(these aren’t actual quotes):I heard a voice say, do you know Jesus, and the voice kept on til I started looking into it and then it stopped. The other men who I think is a Christian preacher was saying how God spoke to him and gave him all these instructions. I must say that what this preacher man said was very loving and compassionate.

So, is the above mentioned possible today since Jesus brought the last message?

I myself feel love and I know that’s from God( I can get angry at times but I try really hard not to, I pray for love to replace my anger in those situations). I have had experiences where it was like deep inside me a voice would say something. I have myself looked into other religions, spiritual traditions, new age, religions many haven’t heard of and ended up believing in the Bible. Bible is the best written religious book. Also through some bad practices I have seen that Bible is true in what it says about those practices, etc.

So, how does God speak to you?

Last edited:
Just to clear up that when I say the voice, it’s not an actual voice as in when you fully hear someone. It’s more like sound of intuition, feelings. Now the reason I asked if it’s possible is because it could be just self talk of some sort. Either way, I believe in a God to the point where I can say: I do t just believe, I know that there is a a God.

Also, I tried editing and putting this in a first original post but couldn’t.

Thanks

Just to clear up that when I say the voice, it’s not an actual voice as in when you fully hear someone. It’s more like sound of intuition, feelings. Now the reason I asked if it’s possible is because it could be just self talk of some sort. Either way, I believe in a God to the point where I can say: I do t just believe, I know that there is a a God.

Also, I tried editing and putting this in a first original post but couldn’t.

Thanks
Like you, I do hot hear the Lord with my physical ears. I believe that happens, but it is not the common way the Lord leads. I have noticed that many times when the Lord is trying to teach me something, or when He would have me do something, that many experiences guide me in one direction. It is more than guided thoughts. It may include 'incidental' occurrences or a pile-up of seemingly unrelated happenings that I am to observe and understand what the Lord would have me do. Many times a passage in the Bible will remain on my mind and provide focus and context.

I know that many would say that this proves nothing and I could be just following my own thoughts, but the purpose here is not for me to convince anyone, but to follow my Lord and fellowship with Him. So I am unconcerned with how someone else may perceive my perception of my Lord.

I saw this earlier, but it is for me the Bible, it seeks, and diagnoses our problem and speaks. Or Calls us, searches us and offers life, whichever way you have to express it. It is the word of God, first and foremeost.

I saw this earlier, but it is for me the Bible, it seeks, and diagnoses our problem and speaks. Or Calls us, searches us and offers life, whichever way you have to express it. It is the word of God, first and foremeost.

Yes, the Scriptures are the primary means of God talking to each of us.

My discussion above was in the context of an earlier thread concerning prayer and to my mind which I should have made clear, concerning how the Lord answers prayer, both as part of that conversation itself and related situations that the Lord places before me.

To be clear, any 'special' answers to my prayers cannot be allowed to contradict the Bible. If I perceive any such contradiction, the problem is with me whether it is my interpretation of the 'answer', or my interpretation of scripture.

...So, how does God speak to you?
All sorts of ways, mostly intuitively 'knowing' what is the right thing, or truth of the matter. The 'knowing' is always clear, obvious, to the point, no story attached, no reason or logic required _ pure 'knowing' what is right and true. And despite all this, God still gives me the option of choice.

Siloam, Yes, we must always be guided by scripture my feelings are fallible. There is a verse in the bible, I wont post it for now. But if people want to check it may help.

I agree in that I don't hear a voice with my ears. Looking back over my life, I can see I often had a problem knowing it was God and not my own mind. But one way I know it was God speaking is when every single this I was told comes true. This happened with something I was told at 15. I sure wish I had known that was God back then.
Another way I know a message is from God is when it brings tears to my eyes. Usually this happens if I have to tell someone else the message.

In spite of all this, I also think some folks are too quick to think something was told them by God.
I also agree that a private message can't contradict scripture if it's from the Lord.

"This is the covenant which I will covenant to them after those days, says the Lord: Giving My Laws on their hearts, and I will write them on their minds;"
(Heb 10:16 LITV)

But the righteousness of faith says this: "Do not say in your heart, Who will go up into Heaven?" (that is, to bring down Christ); or, "Who will go down into the abyss?" (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead.) But what does it say? "The Word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the Word of faith which we proclaim) Deuteronomy 30:12-14.
(Rom 10:6-8 LITV)

That Still, small voice. For it is God that works in us both to will and do His good pleasure

The verse is Isaiah 40:6-8. All we say and do is not everlasting it does not carry weight in heaven, I can say something and people are free to ignore me, however scripture carries guidance, teaching, it brings release and salvation. We are to be careful because it also divides our words, it finds our heart.

Hi.

I have seen videos and have read of some Christians sayings things like(these aren’t actual quotes):I heard a voice say, do you know Jesus, and the voice kept on til I started looking into it and then it stopped. The other men who I think is a Christian preacher was saying how God spoke to him and gave him all these instructions. I must say that what this preacher man said was very loving and compassionate.

I myself feel love and I know that’s from God( I can get angry at times but I try really hard not to, I pray for love to replace my anger in those situations). I have had experiences where it was like deep inside me a voice would say something. I have myself looked into other religions, spiritual traditions, new age, religions many haven’t heard of and ended up believing in the Bible. Bible is the best written religious book. Also through some bad practices I have seen that Bible is true in what it says about those practices, etc.

Excellent question.

I would respond to you by saying without hesitation that God speaks to us through His Written Word.

In chapter 1 and paragraph 6 of the 2nd London Baptist Confession of Faith (1689), we find these words:
"The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for his own glory, man’s salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down or necessarily contained in the Holy Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelation of the Spirit, or traditions of men."

If a man says He has seen God or God has spoken verbally to him and gave him instructions......then every thing said to that man MUST BE also found in the written Word of God or that man is a liar.

WHY?
Romans 2:11...….
"For there is no respect of persons with God," .

Theologically that means that God does not favor, or love or speak to any one person more than another person. That is why His Written Word speaks to all men at the same time without favor to anyone person.

The problem with hearing a voice is obvious. How would we KNOW whose voice it was????

2 Corth. 11:14...……..
"And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light."

Then is we believe that we have 'Seen" Jesus...…….again, how would we know????

Jesus IS God and John 1:18 says that ...…."no man has seen God at any time."

I hope these truths help you.

Hello Peki;

For the last 25 years I have read my Bible, daily. At seminary the texts books were, to me, secondary to the Bible. This is how God speaks to me.

Many, many times I didn't want to read, study, and through the years developed the "academic discipline" to read the Word. This is when God speaks to me.

Following my personal time of daily reading I applied through failure, learning and accomplishing my daily walk and ministry with Jesus. This is why God speaks to me.

It didn't happen overnight and today I'm still seeking more and more to grow how God speaks to me.

I'm blessed to read the replies to your thread.

God bless you, Peki, and your family.

Through the Word, and other ways but always confirmed with scripture.

He did once speak to me (audibly) in the bathtub, and other times He would send signs, like rainbows (a sign of His convenant).

The other way He gets through to me is through others (word of knowledge).

Before I read the Bible I would have quite vivid dreams and was sure God was speaking to me through them. When I look back on those dreams I was able to discern what He was saying to me through them.

In quiet prayer times, it will be a still small voice or just the sense of peace when I'm all prayed out. The Holy Spirit also gives me utterance, but usually that gift is for the benefit of others, not particularly me as it will be in an unknown tongue. I've asked for translation but sometimes its not for me to know.

Hi.

Hi, There. Many times I hear a quiet voice in the back of my ears, yet it's loud enough to get my attention. Not sure if this makes sense. I do not hear an audible voice with my actual ears. It's a quiet yet strong voice in the back of my ears. It's usually so strong that I have often stopped, even in public, and answered back out-loud. The Lord has spoken to me in dreams before, too. I had a dream this week I am praying about because I really feel it was from God. I have not had an answer yet so I am continuing to pray on the dream. Often when I pray and I ask God questions I find the answers as He tells me where to read in the bible. Another big one for me is my pastor at church. I will pray and as God things and it seems like every single Sunday my pastor will answer my question during his sermon. This has been going on since the day I started attending this church. It's amazing how God speaks to me and to all of us.

Bob in faith, yes speak to God, prayer. then open your bible and ask for understanding. There are very few occasions were a question is not covered by the bible.

Hi peki.

for me like others have said here anything of major importance it is always in the bible. Or some other godly person with a gift of some sort who can help me see correctly as I am not too well versed in lots of biblical verses. But normally when it happens through a message it’s usually a bible verse anyway.

I cannot afford to listen to anything else because I cannot trust my own mind.

Today I happened to have my bible opens on Romans and I caught a verse that just i jumped out at me and instantly clicked and I got such a rush of the Spirit I jumped up off my chair and
Jumped for joy

I just want to ad that I have sort of been also big on feeling God, which now I know is the Holy Spirit.

Thanks

Excellent question.

I would respond to you by saying without hesitation that God speaks to us through His Written Word.

In chapter 1 and paragraph 6 of the 2nd London Baptist Confession of Faith (1689), we find these words:
"The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for his own glory, man’s salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down or necessarily contained in the Holy Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelation of the Spirit, or traditions of men."

If a man says He has seen God or God has spoken verbally to him and gave him instructions......then every thing said to that man MUST BE also found in the written Word of God or that man is a liar.

WHY?
Romans 2:11...….
"For there is no respect of persons with God," .

Theologically that means that God does not favor, or love or speak to any one person more than another person. That is why His Written Word speaks to all men at the same time without favor to anyone person.

The problem with hearing a voice is obvious. How would we KNOW whose voice it was????

2 Corth. 11:14...……..
"And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light."

Then is we believe that we have 'Seen" Jesus...…….again, how would we know????

Jesus IS God and John 1:18 says that ...…."no man has seen God at any time."

I hope these truths help you.
Absolutely, I occasionally watch Hillsong, but you know, it doesnt take long, for those prophets etc. To add something, to get us looking at them, hanging on their word, the rapturous applause is also a distraction, as is the repeating phrases. For those not aware of counselling, this is used in cults, and directs itself at the subliminal. Those are the words which for some, not all, remain locked in their mind. The Modern day prophecy field, is a minefield (No pun Intended) and for new Christians best to take a wide steer, or for those without a good grounding in the bible.

Absolutely, I occasionally watch Hillsong, but you know, it doesnt take long, for those prophets etc. To add something, to get us looking at them, hanging on their word, the rapturous applause is also a distraction, as is the repeating phrases. For those not aware of counselling, this is used in cults, and directs itself at the subliminal. Those are the words which for some, not all, remain locked in their mind. The Modern day prophecy field, is a minefield (No pun Intended) and for new Christians best to take a wide steer, or for those without a good grounding in the bible.

Agreed my friend. The practice of "subliminal subjections" has been the main instrument of the "Name it and Claim It " society.

Now to shock some, I am not one who believes that the office of Prophet and Apostle exists today.

WHY?

Because an Apostle must have had a personal, face to face calling from the Lord Jesus Christ. Since He was crucified 2000 years ago, no one today can claim such an event.

Then....IMO, we do not have prophets because we have the completed Word of God. If anyone says that "God told him" anything at all, then that information must then be found in the written Word of God.

Isn't it interesting that absolutely NO so called prophet saw the 9-11-2001 event coming.
Also....NOT ONE prophet saw the Corona Virus pandemic coming.

The author of Hebrews also said the prophets of the Old Testament were no longer needed because now we have the words of the Son of God himself in Hebrews 1:1-3...…...
" In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe."

Major, I agree. I'm not hasty to reject words spoken in time and season though. I also think some sit with God often, and carry his word, but I don't think they are aware, When A pastor preaches, he doesnt know who he is preaching for, but knows God has prepared someone's heart for that word.

In Order to be an Apostle you must see Jesus, there is know description so it cannot be proven if you said you had, but it could be idolatry if you really haven't. I have seen Jesus Word, spoken through Prophets and Apostles, who transcribed it for my benefit. Word and spirit testify , not Apostles or prophets

Back