How Does One Forget?

Jesus Freak

Previously DanaCovert68
How does one forget the anniversaries, AND dates of tragic events? For example , I sometimes think about 9/11 and I really don't want to. How do I forget about such events, and focus on God ? It's not easy to do. Any help and advice would be helpful. Thanks, and God bless.

Meditate on God's word. Have a song in your heart. Pray without ceasing. All these things say "focus on Me and not the world." It is indeed hard when we're bombarded with TV, radio, internet, smart phones, families, friends, ... Romans 7 works this out. The war within is in the mind. Some thoughts are a result of the flesh, others from the devil. Either way, if you choose not to think on those things, take them captive and reject them.

2 Corinthians 10:3-6 (KJV) For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; ) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Philippians 4:6-9 (KJV) Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

It's a moment-by-moment struggle but the more you take control of your thoughts the more active your mind will be and then the more you can resist. We are taught to be passive in our thinking, but God wants us to be proactive in our thinking. Why?

Proverbs 23:7a (KJV) For as he thinketh in his heart, so [is] he: ...

Think about this verse. All throughout the Scriptures it talks about the heart of man. In English we say "let's get to the heart of the matter". The "heart of man" is the soul, the being of who we are. I hope this helps :)

So, @Abdicate you're saying to focus on God when these anniversaries occur. And that I need to just not think about it. I will try my hardest. Like the Colombine shooting happened on April 20, 1999, and I am not going to worry about it.

We're not to worry about anything.

Philippians 4:6-7 (YLT) for nothing be anxious, but in everything by prayer, and by supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God; and the peace of God, that is surpassing all understanding, shall guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus.

Bear with me. When you worry about this world and the things that happen in it, you get anxious and that's the belief that God isn't in control or that He cares. He died for everyone, but He's not a bully. He allows men to make up their own minds. When you trust in God and that He's 100% in control then you'll have peace that passes all understanding. It's when you feel you MUST do something to fix things then you worry. God fixed everything through Jesus, but men in sin, reject His way and problems occur. When you understand how much God loves us and has no more condemnation towards us because Jesus paid the wages of sin for us, then we look forward to Heaven and death has no sting. If you fear death it's because you do not yet trust fully in the power of God or His love for you. Let the dead bury the dead Jesus told one He called to follow Him. Our mission here on earth is to reconcile God with man. He's done all the hard work, we're just messengers.

2 Corinthians 5:18-19 (KJV) And all things [are] of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

God doesn't want blind faith. Now think about this:

Hebrews 11:1 (KJV) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

First faith is a substance. Substance is A material of a particular kind or constitution. Faith isn't a concept or an idea, it's real, it exists in space and time. The substance is of things hoped for. That means those things didn't exist before. They were hoped for. Faith brought them into the real physical world. Faith is the evidence of things not seen. People seem to think that faith is a New Testament idea because the word only exists twice in the Old Testament. But it's the second time it's used that is the faith we need:

Habakkuk 2:4 (KJV) Behold, his soul [which] is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

How can one live by faith? By trusting everything into the hands of God and His ability to execute rightly in whatever matter requires action or inaction. The word for faith in Hebrew is emunah (אֱמוּנָה) and means:
1. literally firmness
2. figuratively security
3. morally fidelity

Hebrew is an amazing language. It's almost alive in the way it can convey messages. Every letter has a meaning all it's own, like the Egyptian hieroglyphs. Keep with me for just a second. The middle letter vav (וּ) means by itself nail or hook as in established or connected. We say "I nailed it" meaning we've accomplished something. When you remove this letter from the word for faith you have the word sure (אָמנָה). Another way to say sure or firm is this word and means truth (אֶמֶת) which just happens to be the first, middle and last letter of the Hebrew alphabet! The word of God is TRUTH from beginning to end. Of that we can be sure! And when we acknowledge this truth, we have faith! See how Hebrew plays on words and letter combination? Cool huh?

Here's a little more. Remember what I said about each letter having its own meaning? Well truth (אֶמֶת) means (א) Sacrifice, (מ)Waters, (ת) Covenant. Jesus is the Sacrifice and His side was pierced and out flowed blood and Water to make a new Covenant with us! Jesus is Truth! In fact, the Hebrew letters of today are actually Aramaic. The last letter that means Covenant was originally a CROSS (+)!

God has put His message in everything so man can have no excuse when we stand before Him. Glory to God!! I hope you enjoyed this and that it helps you understand how much God loves you and wishes only your best, and when you do understand, it will require faith! That means we will NOT have all the information on WHY the event happening in our lives is for our good! :)

God bless!

Last edited:
P.S. By the way, Faith's (אֱמוּנָה) letter meanings are:

Sacrifice, Waters, Nail, Work, Grace!

The last letter means LOOK! or Behold! or Revealed. However, it's the fifth letter of the Hebrew alphabet and five is the number of Grace (http://abdicate.net/blog/?p=293) and is the real meaning of the letter. The rabbis do not know what is "revealed" but they say it's a window that reveals something. That something is Grace! So Faith can be spelled out this way:

By God's Sacrifice, pouring out blood and Water, being Nailed on the cross and by His Work we obtain Grace - through FAITH!

In the end, God loves us. And that's why these things happen. I will never understand why tragedies happen. And I don't want to. No need to.

What I will do is not worry about them anymore.

1 Peter 5:7
7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.

He does care about me. I just need to do what I learned from John Gray today:

Open the door of my heart and let Jesus in and He will take all my cares and worries away.

Back