How Does One Keep The Sabbath And Does It Apply To The New Covenant

I am glad you have that opportunity to do spend your whole day with Jesus every day! Me, I do my morning devotions then I am off to work. Pray at lunch and study in the evening. I do what I can. I am just glad I can have the whole 24 hour period for the Lord on the day He set aside. It was made for us (mark 2:27):) We have to praise the Lord for that.
God is with you and can work through you where ever you are. We are to walk in God's Spirit every moment. Maybe by your good example and allowing God to work through you at work you will demonstrate the love of Christ.

I am glad you have that opportunity to do spend your whole day with Jesus every day! Me, I do my morning devotions then I am off to work. Pray at lunch and study in the evening. I do what I can. I am just glad I can have the whole 24 hour period for the Lord on the day He set aside. It was made for us (mark 2:27):) We have to praise the Lord for that.
We are not called to walk in the Spirit, one day a week. We are called to set our minds always on the Lord, to always be in the awareness of His goodness. To pray without ceasing, righteousness peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. The Sabbath is not a 24 hour day, it is the eternal rest of Gods grace, and eternal life in the Spirit. So you keep the Sabbath one day a week, I keep it everyday in the Spirit. I hope one day you will understand the true "rest" of God.

God is with you and can work through you where ever you are. We are to walk in God's Spirit every moment. Maybe by your good example and allowing God to work through you at work you will demonstrate the love of Christ.
Every interaction, every moment, everything we do should be done from God's Spirit and God's love. This is moment to moment faith. Remember, Romans 14:23 says, "everything that does not come from faith is sin."

Excellent points Olivia. Faith is essential in all things we do and must permeate our soul. Thank you for that reminder.

Well the rebuke of "willful" sin is to those who have forsaken grace and turn back to the law (the strength of sin). All sin comes from self-will, if one teaches this error of translation? I would ask them "is your sin willful"? The context is that it is the Fathers "will" that we be justified in Christ, by his blood. Those who return to the law (which all of the book of Hebrews is about) have rejected grace and made common His blood. This is the "willful" sin in Heb. 10. Which those who attempt to justify themselves by the law (Sabbath etc..) are very ones for whom this warning was intended. (the word "if" is not in this passage, "if" is a clear word in the Greek) The "sin" is the condition of sin, not an "act". Those who go back to the law are in "willful" sin.

Now John also goes on to say that "in Him we cannot sin"- we cannot break the law. Only those under the law can transgress the law.
Wow. You have given me a seriously new understanding of all those places in scripture talking about not being able to sin. I used to be so conflicted between if Christians could sin or not. But with your understanding of scripture I can see how Christians really can't sin, because in Christ we are not subjected to the law. Am I correct on this?

Wow. You have given me a seriously new understanding of all those places in scripture talking about not being able to sin. I used to be so conflicted between if Christians could sin or not. But with your understanding of scripture I can see how Christians really can't sin, because in Christ we are not subjected to the law. Am I correct on this?

Careful my dear brother! Pray about it and see what the word of God says in its entirety! If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9. It is not that a Christian can't sin aka walk after the flesh, he/she indeed can! But as we seek victory over the flesh, when we do sin, Christ through confession takes on the condemnation from the law ( Rom 8:1). Heb 7:25 says Christ ever liveth to make intercession for us.

God bless you!

Be sure that "justified in Christ" a believer cannot "sin" against the law of Moses. Now we have laws.. The royal law-love, The law of the Spirit of life in Christ, the law of faith... In these we keep that which was commanded by love.

But just as Paul said "how can we who are justified in Christ, be found sinners by the law?" Which is the purpose of the law, to make all guilty and it cannot justify anyone.

Careful my dear brother! Pray about it and see what the word of God says in its entirety! If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9. It is not that a Christian can't sin aka walk after the flesh, he/she indeed can! But as we seek victory over the flesh, when we do sin, Christ through confession takes on the condemnation from the law ( Rom 8:1). Heb 7:25 says Christ ever liveth to make intercession for us.

God bless you!
Here they go "careful" now don't believe your justified?

Ro 4:7 "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered;
8 Blessed is the man to whom the LORD shall not impute sin."

Now a believer in the flesh, cannot believe the truth. But those who walk in the Spirit understand the things that have been freely given to us by God.

Law of love,

John 14:15 "15 " If ye love me, keep my commandments."
Romans 13:10 "Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law"
Psalms 119:165: "Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them."

Law of the spirit:
Acts 5:32: " And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Spirit, whom God hath given to them that obey him."

1 John 3:9 "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

John 3:5 "5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

Law of Faith:

Romans 5:1 "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:"

James 2:17: "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone."

See Heb 11 to see how Faith and works go together.. they are not separate.

God Bless,

MoG

Law of love,

John 14:15 "15 " If ye love me, keep my commandments."
Romans 13:10 "Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law"
Psalms 119:165: "Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them."

Law of the spirit:
Acts 5:32: " And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Spirit, whom God hath given to them that obey him."

1 John 3:9 "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

John 3:5 "5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

Law of Faith:

Romans 5:1 "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:"

James 2:17: "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone."

See Heb 11 to see how Faith and works go together.. they are not separate.

God Bless,

MoG
What? Jesus tells us plainly that we keep His commandments by "loving as He has loved us" Faith working by love is the only way to fulfill the Commandments of God. If a man does not steal yet he hates another, he is lawless. If a man loves, he will not steal and in love alone is the righteousness of the law fulfilled. The law is not of faith. And those under law are in "willful" sin.

1Jo 3:23 ¶ And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Faith working by love, that's it! there is no other obedience for the believer.

Well the rebuke of "willful" sin is to those who have forsaken grace and turn back to the law (the strength of sin). All sin comes from self-will, if one teaches this error of translation? I would ask them "is your sin willful"? The context is that it is the Fathers "will" that we be justified in Christ, by his blood. Those who return to the law (which all of the book of Hebrews is about) have rejected grace and made common His blood. This is the "willful" sin in . Which those who attempt to justify themselves by the law (Sabbath etc..) are very ones for whom this warning was intended. (the word "if" is not in this passage, "if" is a clear word in the Greek) The "sin" is the condition of sin, not an "act". Those who go back to the law are in "willful" sin.

Now John also goes on to say that "in Him we cannot sin"- we cannot break the law. Only those under the law can transgress the law.

I say this respectfully but this is a convoluted theology. I am sure I am not alone in this thinking on this forum.

What? Jesus tells us plainly that we keep His commandments by "loving as He has loved us" Faith working by love is the only way to fulfill the Commandments of God. If a man does not steal yet he hates another, he is lawless. If a man loves, he will not steal and in love alone is the righteousness of the law fulfilled. The law is not of faith. And those under law are in "willful" sin.

1Jo 3:23 ¶ And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Faith working by love, that's it! there is no other obedience for the believer.

Thank you for the reply.

Let's me try to understand this. Are you saying you can break the letter of the law with out breaking the spirit of the law?

I say this respectfully but this is a convoluted theology. I am sure I am not alone in this thinking on this forum.

Thank you for the reply.

Let's me try to understand this. Are you saying you can break the letter of the law with out breaking the spirit of the law?
If my doctrine is "convoluted" to you, it makes great sense to those who know they are not under law. The reason it is a mystery to you is:
2Co 3:13 unlike Moses, who put a veil over his face so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the end of what was passing away.
14 But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ.
15 But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart.

And who is talking about "breaking" I am teaching the ONLY way to "fulfill" that which the law demanded. If a person looks to the ten commandments and not to the Love of God, shed abroad in their hearts, then they have never fulfilled any aspect of what the law demanded. The Sabbath is not kept by observing a 24 hour day, the Sabbath is kept by faith working by love. Only when a believer ceases from the "works" of the law and keeps the love of God, is he "keeping" the righteousness of the law.

If a believer steals, he is not breaking the law of Moses, he is breaking the Royal Law , the Law of Christ. If a believer does not love , he is a thief at heart.

Last edited:
Who is talking about "breaking" I am teaching the ONLY way to "fulfill" that which the law demanded. If a person looks to the ten commandments and not to the Love of God, shed abroad in their hearts, then they have never fulfilled any aspect of what the law demanded. The Sabbath is not kept by observing a 24 hour day, the Sabbath is kept by faith working by love. Only when a believer ceases from the "works" of the law and keeps the love of God, is he "keeping" the righteousness of the law.

If a believer steals, he is not breaking the law of Moses, he is breaking the Royal Law , the Law of Christ. If a believer does not love , he is a thief at heart.

Where in the bible does it say they are NOT breaking Gods 10 commandments?

What? that don't even makes sense! Im telling you how to "keep" that which you "claim" you are trying to honor.
A believer is not under the law of moses, it is said over and over in every possible way it could be said, 'but their minds are blinded and cannot see the end of that which has passed away" If I posted 20 scriptures that said it as plain as day, you would and could not receive the truth.

2Co 4:3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing,
4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded,
who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.

The law is not of faith!

My friend you are in a cult, they are deceiving you...get out

Last edited:
A believer is not under the law of moses, it is said over and over in every possible way it could be said, 'but their minds are blinded and cannot see the end of that which has passed away" If I posted 20 scriptures that said it as plain as day, you would and could not receive the truth.

2Co 4:3 But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing,
4 whose minds the god of this age has blinded,
who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.

The law is not of faith!

My friend you are in a cult, they are deceiving you...get out

That was some serious witnessing right d'er Mitspa;) When do I sign up? kidding w/ ya lol.

So no bible verses I take it?

That was some serious witnessing right d'er Mitspa;) When do I sign up? kidding w/ ya lol.

So no bible verses I take it?
What sort of verse do you need and how many? I have a multitude that make my point very "evident"

Ro 7:6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
7 ¶ What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, "You shall not covet."

Ga 3:11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "the just shall live by faith."
12 Yet the law is not of faith, but "the man who does them shall live by them."

Last edited:
In my original post, I explained my convictions as to why I keep the Sabbath Holy. The primary reason I state are because I believe, according to the bible, that it provides us with a glimpse of who Jesus is as a creator, as a redeemer, and as a restorer. I discussed Exo 20:8-11 and I asked first principle questions such as "Why did God write these commandments? Why does God write just the 10 commandments with His own finger twice Exo 31:18, Exo 34:1; and yet the 612 commands and ordinances he leaves for Moses to write? Exo 34:27 Why then does God give this peculiar commandment to keep the Sabbath day?

In addition I asked Why does God say remember? Why must there be rest or a ceasing from works?

I shared Gen 2:1-3 which shows that Jesus, our creator finished from His works on day 7 and by ceasing from His works that whole day he sanctified it and thus made that period of time Holy.

This was a summary of how the Sabbath day represents Jesus as our creator. Now, I wish to touch on how the Sabbath points to Jesus as our redeemer.

The Sabbath - A Sign of Redemption

Gen 2:1-2 says: Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

v2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

We have a finishing or ceasing of the works of God on day 7, and then the reader is rushed through the creation of Adam and Eve, the Garden of Eden and that of the animals. We then get to the core issue in all of scripture, the fall of man (Gen 3) and the plan of redemption (Gen 3:15).

The synoptic Gospels (Matt, Mark, Luke) primarily give us a factual account of Jesus life with no particular emphasis on context. But the book of John is different. It begins by pointing the reader back to creation. John 1:1: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." and then in vs 14 it tells us that our Creator was made flesh. Here, we learn that Jesus our Creator became a man! (an amazing and incomprehensible thought)

It is in the incarnation of Jesus that the plan of redemption begins to culminate. Gods plan to save humankind from the wages of sin (Gen 3:15) is about to be unveiled in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. John 1:29 puts it like this "29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." And again, "36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!"

Soon the saddest events known to humankind and the universe will begin to unfold as our Savior is oppressed, afflicted, and brought as a lamb to the slaughter. (Isa 53:7). On day 6 (Luke 23:54), our Savior would hang on a cross as we enter into the closing scenes of His life. John who had already set the context of creation briefly touches on the prophecies Jesus would fulfill in these closing scenes (John 19). One last prophecy is left, 28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. 29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth."

It was now done. 30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

We are told in all four gospels,that Jesus would die before the Sabbath began (John 19:31,33; Mark 15:34, Luke 23:54, Matt 27:26). 31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. But prophecy would be fulfilled, yet again, and they would find Him already dead. Jesus had ceased from His works, yet again. So it was in creation, so it is in redemption, that Jesus, our Redeemer, would again, rest on the 7th day. Yet not him only, but His redeemed and creation, "And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment" Luke 23:56

The book of John started with "in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" and records the incarnation of that Creator. That same book would end the life of the Creator with His last words "It is finished"

Therefore, I also keep the Sabbath, because this day is a sign of His creation, and it is a sign of His redemption. By keeping it, I testify that he is both of these things to me.

God Bless,
MoG

Last edited:
Back