How is Jesus the light of the world?

Jesus is the light of the world (John 8:12), because he sheds light on the Truth. The Truth is love; and love is God. Love is the only truth, because, true love is unconditional. It will, therefore, never disappear, die or give up on us. On the other hand, friendships, emotions, feelings and attractions are conditional. They can, therefore, vanish, if the conditions are unfavorable. Even matter can disappear into nothing, as it does in the black holes; because, its existence is totally dependent on the forces that hold atoms and subatomic particles together.

God, as the person of Jesus, showed us true love through his teachings, life and sacrifice. He taught us to love our enemy, pray for them and do good to them; if someone takes our coat, give them our shirt as well; offer the other cheek if someone slaps us on one; lend and do not expect it back; be merciful like our heavenly Father is merciful (Luke 6:27-36); give away our belongings and follow him (Matt.91:21); condemn no one (John 8:10); bring healing to those who hurt and betray us; and stay faithful to our marriage covenant even when there is betrayal and infidelity (Mark 10:9 and Hosea 3:1). He brought healing to the sick and forgiveness to sinners. Finally, he showed us the ultimate truth about love, by accepting the most painful and humiliating death on the cross to bring forgiveness and redemption to those who hurt and betrayed him. In other words, he the victim, with his life, paid the price of our offenses, we committed against him.

Jesus is the light of the world (John 8:12), because he sheds light on the Truth. The Truth is love; and love is God. Love is the only truth, because, true love is unconditional. It will, therefore, never disappear, die or give up on us. On the other hand, friendships, emotions, feelings and attractions are conditional. They can, therefore, vanish, if the conditions are unfavorable. Even matter can disappear into nothing, as it does in the black holes; because, its existence is totally dependent on the forces that hold atoms and subatomic particles together.

God, as the person of Jesus, showed us true love through his teachings, life and sacrifice. He taught us to love our enemy, pray for them and do good to them; if someone takes our coat, give them our shirt as well; offer the other cheek if someone slaps us on one; lend and do not expect it back; be merciful like our heavenly Father is merciful (Luke 6:27-36); give away our belongings and follow him (Matt.91:21); condemn no one (John 8:10); bring healing to those who hurt and betray us; and stay faithful to our marriage covenant even when there is betrayal and infidelity (Mark 10:9 and Hosea 3:1). He brought healing to the sick and forgiveness to sinners. Finally, he showed us the ultimate truth about love, by accepting the most painful and humiliating death on the cross to bring forgiveness and redemption to those who hurt and betrayed him. In other words, he the victim, with his life, paid the price of our offenses, we committed against him.

We take a candle into a room to dispel the darkness. Likewise, the Light of Jesus Christ has to be taken into the darkness of sin that engulfs the hearts and lives of those who are not following Him. That’s the condition behind having this Light—that we follow Him. If we do not follow Him, we will not have this light, this truth, this eternal life.

In declaring Himself to be the Light of the world, Jesus was claiming that He is the exclusive source of spiritual light. No other source of spiritual truth is available to mankind.

Truth is illumination. It clarifies and restores whatever has been distorted or hidden/veiled in darkness. Because Truth is restorative, it also heals.
Truth's illumination is uncreated light. It penetrating everything and nourishes everything that is true.

I don’t understand the part where we are to let someone take our coat and shirt as well.
If someone takes my coat I’m not going to fight for it I will buy a new one. But I can’t see how Offering my shirt aswell would benefit me. Unless I’m at gunpoint.
Can someone please explain why this is beneficial?

I don’t understand the part where we are to let someone take our coat and shirt as well.
If someone takes my coat I’m not going to fight for it I will buy a new one. But I can’t see how Offering my shirt aswell would benefit me. Unless I’m at gunpoint.
To remind us that we are the holders of power to make choices for our way of life.

When somebody takes our coat (what we wear over our being), they expose us to our investments in securing our 'self'. We can either choose to accept our exposure of 'self' and repent (our shirt as well) our denial and ignorance; or we can choose to resent the exposure and vulnerabilities of our self-fabricated identity, and do whatever our 'self' wants or needs to protect itself (such as resentment).

It is not our innermost being who has enemies, for the being is the spirit of God/Truth, and it has no interest in anything not true. It is only our untrue 'self', our self-fabricated identity of being a some-body, which fears anything that may expose its truth of false-self. It perceives any threat to self identity as the enemy.

It is all about going the way of life based on what we know is true. It is about having faith - going with the flow of Truth.

Just a thought now, at this moment, it is not the same thought I have in mind before when I heard or read “turn the other cheek” or “let someone take our coat and shirt as well.” J

Before: I used to say it is more on do some positive action from a negative action.

But now, I think of it more of DON’T HOLD ON TO IT.

Reminds of me a story where a Military Academy, when accepting PUBLIC visitors into the room of the military students:

IF the VISITOR, outsider, will ask ANYTHING, ANY THING, with space between ANY and THING :) any thing they asked that they like it for themselves: GIVE it, don’t hold on to it

In the same manner: turn the other cheeks: don’t hold on to our PRIDE
In the same manner: give the coat and the shirt: don’t hold on to our attachment to materials things.

Just a thought.

AND

in relation to the Original Thread: "
How is Jesus the light of the world?"

in the same thought: the Bible is to be understood in Spiritual way, the TRUTH ... which i cannot comment on :). see my signature :)

but on human terms. the Spirit refers to the core, the intention, the purpose of the matter.

Thus: Jesus is not exactly an electricity bulb that will light the room or the house

Rather: as Major mentioned: the gospel, the birth, life, death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ dispelled the darkness of sin : " We take a candle into a room to dispel the darkness. Likewise, the Light of Jesus Christ has to be taken into the darkness of sin that engulfs the hearts and lives of those who are not following Him. "

ps: the visitor saw inside the room and asked a teddy bear or a stuffed toy that his girlfriend gave him, and the military student gave it. :)

If I am understanding your thought, you said true love is unconditional not based on circumstance or sense experience.
If that is true then can true love be taught or learnt?
It seems then it can only be given.
If so then what are the qualification to be a recipient?
Scripture says Roman's 9:16 "So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheath mercy." For we know that only perfect love can enter there.
Can you then comment on the qualifications?
Thank you for your insight...

I enjoyed all the feedback comments on this subject so I would like to throw one more in the mix.

I expect that you would all agree that true happiness can only be realized when we find ourselves set in that for which we were created, worshipping the Lord.
All earthly experiences of happiness and love are either a pale reflection or perversion.

Too meet our destiny the Lord will grant us some revelation of what He has done and is doing for us.
But, what about what God has done and is doing in things that don't directly pertain to us?
Which is greater?
The later, not being a (fallen) ego centred experience, focusing on the gift instead of the Giver.

As Paul said in 1 Corinthians 13:12 'For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.'

What will it be like to have that higher vision?
The charity that put Jesus on the cross. (Charity being an attribute - faith and hope being gifts)

Romans 5:1-10 KJV-
Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
and patience, experience; and experience, hope:
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

I am a light by finding happiness in all things including tribulations. I believe it was Anne Frank you said: "Who ever is happy will make others happy".

I enjoyed all the feedback comments on this subject so I would like to throw one more in the mix. I expect that you would all agree that true happiness can only be realized when we find ourselves set in that for which we were created, worshipping the Lord. All earthly experiences of happiness and love are either a pale reflection or perversion.

Too meet our destiny the Lord will grant us some revelation of what He has done and is doing for us.
But, what about what God has done and is doing in things that don't directly pertain to us?
Which is greater?
The later, not being a (fallen) ego centred experience, focusing on the gift instead of the Giver.

As Paul said in 1 Corinthians 13:12 'For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.'

What will it be like to have that higher vision?
The charity that put Jesus on the cross. (Charity being an attribute - faith and hope being gifts)

Hello 2404;

God bless you and well said. Thank you for sharing!

Romans 5:1-10 KJV-
I am a light by finding happiness in all things including tribulations. I believe it was Anne Frank you said: "Who ever is happy will make others happy".

Hello thenami;

Thank you for your post referencing Romans 5:1-10. During the last month I have seen others who were going through really tough, heartbreaking times, only to have a sincere smile on their face while helping others. This is great timing and truly ministers to me.

Lately, I have seen this love of Jesus in others and want to follow more of His example daily.

I for one will admit that I often times find it difficult to know if I should take some biblical passages literally or metaphorically. Peter Luke shows the true meaning of the coat and shirt example. My greatest struggle is my need for everything to fit tightly and at 90 degree angles.

Of one thing I am sure; it is in the darkness that light burns brightest. If you have ever seen the night's sky from a place far away from artificial light, you know what I mean. When I finally surrendered to the realization that God is in control, the weight that was lifted from my shoulders was grand. Once I believed that giving in to the idea that I control nothing made me a weak man. As it turns our, giving in made me stronger . . . go figure. It took me over 40 years to get to this point and my biggest regret is that is took me over 40 years to get to this point.

rtm3039

bobinfaith Ive had a tough week, so those fave verses give me strength. My aunt passed, a co-worker with two kids is enduring the tragic death of their father, a church member passed, and the brother of a church member passed. My heart has been grieving greatly, and old wounds have been flowing too. Many that have passed on in my life wont be in heaven, and that hurts. However I also rejoice in the fact that many are that I will see one day, Thank you Father in the name of your Son Jesus Christ! Praise your holy name!

I do manage to find much happiness in little things. Like the tea roses my daughter gifted me last year for Valentines Day. They have been on the brink of shriveling up several times, but somehow manage to bloom once again. God keeps them growing! The glorious moon is shining a beautiful bright hue through the layers of cotton candy puff clouds. God keeps it glowing! There was a piece of banana cream pie left in the fridge when I got home from work tonight. God keeps food flowing! Im sitting here typing and in this particular position Im actually not in any physical pain worth mentioning :) Yee Haa… Gods love keeps showing!

In this life I can either choose to be miserable (which sometimes I do as a human), or chose to be happy.
I for one have a lot of hope for happiness. "Happiness is the settling of the soul into its most appropriate spot". -Aristotle

Back