How to control oneself?

Self-control is a big problem for most kids in my age group until their twenties, in my opinion. As generally older people, what are your experiences on this matter (couldn't find another way to say this lol).

Age is only a factor for those who have not been diligently renewing their minds. I have known 10 year olds that had more self disipline then 60 year old church members.
With out renewing your mind with His written word you are un-able to have a repentative mind towards His ways or your actions.

Self-control is a big problem for most kids in my age group until their twenties, in my opinion. As generally older people, what are your experiences on this matter (couldn't find another way to say this lol).
If you are talking about "temptations" then it makes no difference what age you are they still come. I am 62 years old, and I am still tempted with the same things as I had when I was your age. This will never go away until we receive a new supernatural body that is not riddled with sin.
We do not want to be in control of our self's, we want to be out of control, and letting the "love" of God to control us. When we are weak then we are strong.

2Co 5:13 For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you.
2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died;

Reactions: Juk
How to control oneself?
Fear causes one to lose control. Most of our fears are unfounded , imagined, or exaggerated.
As soon as I feel any tension in my mind and/or body, I am responding to some fear.
Once aware of this, I then decide if it is real or not.
Most real ones are immediate, like about to be hit by a car. If my fear is not an immediate type, then I remind myself that it may not be necessarily so.
To overcome my imagined fears, that persist, I must acknowledge my fear and act in faith to face my fears with an open mind to its truth. In this way, I regain control of my reality.

How to control oneself?
Fear causes one to lose control. Most of our fears are unfounded , imagined, or exaggerated.
As soon as I feel any tension in my mind and/or body, I am responding to some fear.
Once aware of this, I then decide if it is real or not.
Most real ones are immediate, like about to be hit by a car. If my fear is not an immediate type, then I remind myself that it may not be necessarily so.
To overcome my imagined fears, that persist, I must acknowledge my fear and act in faith to face my fears with an open mind to its truth. In this way, I regain control of my reality.
Good post, but why the eyecon?

Temptations are part of this life.
There is a reason scripture tells us to flee some things. There are times where the best option is to beat feet and vacate the area. There have been times when I wish I had been that wise.

Juk, I recommend talking with some of the old timers in your church. Even if they aren't great theologians or well educated, they have been there. They have resisted temptations and fallen to them. They have also seen others do the same. There is a tremendous font of wisdom there, that few young people in our culture have the will or knowledge to tap into.

Last edited:
Back