How To Deal With Enemies Seeking To Destroy You?

Jesus says to forgive our enemies, bless those who curse you...
We wrestle not with flesh and blood but against principalities, powers...
God is our vindicator. He is a just God. We pray to God to deliver us , set us free, to rebuke and destroy the wicked one in our lives.

Now, when we have enemies in life seeking to do us harm, to destroy our lives, are cruel, no compassion, no love , don't care about us and seek to do evil. Is it ok to ask God to destroy these people's plans who are set out against you? Although satan is working in these people, these people are still doing wrong so although we're supposed to pray for them , can we also ask God to be aggressive in His power against them . After all aren't we to have an aggressive faith at times. Be a violent christian (not physically, but spiritually). If we're to be aggressive with the devil what about the people he is using? How far can we go in asking God for help in that the evil people do not succeed against us? Can we ask for their life to be affected like they're doing, done, trying to do to us? Any guidance for me here please?

The correct answer is to let them kill you, but then you will be battling your flesh too, because your flesh does not want to die.

What did our Lord say again? "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

God is our vindicator. He is a just God. We pray to God to deliver us , set us free, to rebuke and destroy the wicked one in our lives.
Now, when we have enemies in life seeking to do us harm, to destroy our lives, are cruel, no compassion, no love , don't care about us and seek to do evil. Is it ok to ask God to destroy these people's plans who are set out against you? Although satan is working in these people, these people are still doing wrong so although we're supposed to pray for them , can we also ask God to be aggressive in His power against them . After all aren't we to have an aggressive faith at times. Be a violent christian (not physically, but spiritually). If we're to be aggressive with the devil what about the people he is using? How far can we go in asking God for help in that the evil people do not succeed against us? Can we ask for their life to be affected like they're doing, done, trying to do to us? Any guidance for me here please?

What a great question for the believers!
I had an enemy...but I surely want to hear the response from the other believers, first.

We don't pray that our enemies prevail over us and we can ask that their plans br destroyed.
My pastor's wife said we go and pray, He is our Father and we can ask Him that our enemies don't sleep at night.
That they may dream of the right thing that should be done.
And that they may be confused in their work.
Can we ask God to affect their life, destroy them ?
May they not be happy, have peace (which they truly don't have anyway)?
May something bad happen to them? For what they are trying to do to others.
What can we ask God, how can we ask Him? We are looking to Him for protection against our enemies. What do you think is acceptable to ask Him to do . We believe God is working on our behalf and we speak the Word and He ministers the angels to work. We have to pray without ceasing . What prayers can we include regarding the people at work?

Last edited:
The correct answer is to let them kill you, but then you will be battling your flesh too, because your flesh does not want to die.

What did our Lord say again? "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell."
Not being afraid does not = let them kill you.

Last edited:

We must have righteous indignation on scripture / Christian truths. Typically against false teachers. The unsaved not professing to be saved.... don't know any better and are at least honest. All are alive because God has hope for them to come to Him, we must never forget that.

We pray that God helps them. We thank God for our suffering. It shows He entrusts them with us. People come our way because God allows it. God allows it because God wants us to be His ambassador to them. That is the only reason a Christian is on earth.

You would need to give more details on what exactly is happening. We need to discern if you need to turn the left cheek, if you are casting pearl before swine or if you need real self defence.

Reactions: Sal
I am totally sure i wouldn't be casting pearl before swine and ii is not a physical battle of self-defence.
It is a spiritual battle and the situation i am in is not from God.

The Lord can fix our mistakes and bad decisions of the past. I am still going through something that should be reaching it's end. I need to stay strong in the Lord, and remember that the battle is the Lord's. I have certain people in authority against me, ii know that if they are against me they are against God. Corruption is involved on their part along with money and envy.

Last edited:
Praying for you. I lost a job once because of false accusations against me. They weren't even for ''preaching' but lies about work. You are right. People see Jesus in us and they hate our presence. They plot together to see us removed. It is definitely for Hs glory. I got a better job.

Thank you. I know God will honour and bless. It's been going on for over a year now. There is a purpose in this somewhere, God can make good out of something bad. It hasn't been easy though and is still a very tentative time.

We are to love or enemies, to what this means we should seek God. God ma want us to show love by talking to them or by waiting to help them but we just need to have a love for them, God will bring chance to share this love. The disciples shared the love and gospel until those hated them killed them, the Lord may not call us to this but if He does, He will make us strong in Him to get thru it.

I think in my OP some anxiety was in there. I've come to a decision about what we can and cannot ask. Our requests have no meaning to God unless they have a clear objective. We have to ask ourselves whether what we want will bring glory to God or if it will simply be used to satisfy our lusts, and cause an even greater seperation between Him and us.
"For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him". (Matt 6:8).
Although, it is necessary to ask to awaken our faith and seek more intimate contact with God.
"And whatever you ask in My name, that i will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son".(John 14:13)
So our requests serve to glorify God the Father through our Saviour Jesus. All our requests must be in accordance with the Scriptures and be subject to the will of God.
With this in mind and relating to my situation, i prayed that the works and plans of those working against me will be destroyed and will nit succeed. I prayed that God do whatever is necessary to thwart their evil plans. That these people will lose their jobs, that there may be confusion among them, that they will be found out for who they are, that they have no peace. Because at the end of the day they are against God. This situation is not from God. I do believe God will use someone to help me which he has already done but this is still not over yet and i'll keep praying that this situation will turn out in my favour all for the glory of God.

Thank you. I know God will honour and bless. It's been going on for over a year now. There is a purpose in this somewhere, God can make good out of something bad. It hasn't been easy though and is still a very tentative time.
While we all are looking at this, God might be working on something else in your life! May be it is a thorn to bring humility.. Like the case of Paul.. May be it is a learning experience.. As Paul says in Romans, suffering brings perseverance, which brings character, which brings hope.. Like a chain reaction! God is never the author of evil.. But all things work out for good for one who puts his trust in Him..

Best advice would be - stand still and know that He is Lord..

Recall David and Saul. David always respected Saul as the Lord's anointed over Israel. David never sought to kill Saul - even when opportunities came. And is not David a man after God's own heart?

Consider then his words: "The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." Psalm 18:2.

"“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33.

"Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord." Romans 12:19.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart - focus on His deliverance of you, as the Word says. And know that He will do it. That is how one deals with enemies. Let the Lord take care of it and only move or speak if He directs you to.

Besides, if you pray to God asking Him to harm or kill your enemies, are you not doing exactly what the world does? Revenge is revenge, weather by your hand or by asking God to be a proxy for such. "If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?" Matthew 5:46. "Love....keeps no record of wrongs....Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth." 1 Corinthians 13:4-6.

Jesus speaking, "Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you, for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets. 27“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.32“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.37“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven (Luke 26-37).

Again Jesus says, "Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you."

How can someone be kind to someone who seeks to destroy them? How can someone love them? The answer is that in your flesh it is very difficult and would take great self control. However when you trust God with it, not deciding on the outcome, but giving all things to God trusting Him for your safety, provision and protection, submitting yourself to God completely he will possibly help to change others, but He will change you so that the enemy can't effect you. God can and will give you a hedge of protection around you if you by faith fully trust Him. God can and will give you a peace that passes all understanding and a joy so great it is unimaginable if you by faith fully trust Him. Even if someone destroys your opportunity, job, friendship with another, God can and will bring new opportunities, a better job, new friendships and restore other ones to better than they were before.

"present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect" (Romans 12:1-2).

Although the bible has instances like Paul says, "Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works" (2nd Timothy 4:14), and other places, David in the Psalms is where this type of thing is mostly seen.

"Do unto them as unto the Midianites; as to Sisera, as to Jabin, at the brook of Kison: Which perished at Endor: they became as dung for the earth. Make their nobles like Oreb, and like Zeeb: yea, all their princes as Zebah, and as Zalmunna: Who said, Let us take to ourselves the houses of God in possession. O my God, make them like a wheel; as the stubble before the wind. As the fire burneth a wood, and as the flame setteth the mountains on fire; So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm. Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, O LORD. Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish: That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

Hear, O our God; for we are despised: and turn their reproach upon their own head , and give them for a prey in the land of captivity: And cover not their iniquity , and let not their sin be blotted out from before thee: for they have provoked thee to anger before the builders (Nehemiah 4:4-5).

So how can we see on the one hand Jesus saying one thing and on the other these men of God saying what they said. However, there are times when God puts his own rebuke in a person through God's Spirit. I believe the rebukes were from a righteous anger from God not a self longing. Even though many of the rebukes talk of self, like in many of David's requests, I think they come from the Spirit of being a reproach that they are unjustly persecuting out of God's will and thus are against God, not just that they want to be relieved. For example, in Paul's case he was persecuted a lot. Yet you only see him giving (as far as I remember) this rebuke at Alexander.

With Alexander Paul continues, "Alexander the metalworker did me a great deal of harm. The Lord will repay him for what he has done. 15 You too should be on your guard against him, because he strongly opposed our message" (2 Timothy 4:14-15).

This seems more of a rebuke not because Paul suffered, but because he was turning a great many away from the gospel that Paul was preaching.

I think we should be following what Jesus said. If their is the rare case of a rebuke, the person will be certain it is from the Holy Spirit and thus it is from love, probably because God has no other choice to do something to protect others and the message and whatever He knows that is beyond our knowing. We however are sinners who are saved and thus have no right to want others harmed when we ourselves deserve death on the cross and the lake of fire.

Love your enemies, bless those who curse you. Be so in God's Spirit that the power of God comes through you that people who wish you great harm feel God's presence and are afraid. Trust God to provide greater things so you are not afraid of losing something. Trust God for peace. Love people who don't know what they are doing because they have an inner hell if they are abusive one that maybe they want to overcome and can't.

Paul was a murderer of Christians before he was saved. Instead of God condemning him God looked at what He created Paul to be and saved him. As a result we have a lot of the new testament written through him and he helped to spread the gospel to many who spread the gospel to many who spread the gospel and so on.

When we are in God's love and in His Spirit many times the other person will actually change because they know there is something different about us. However, if they don't we are experiencing God's love and peace so things that seemed so big become small and insignificant in comparison to the joy that is living in us.

I have prayed for those people who are against me, that God would touch in their hearts and mind and guide them in their decisions, and that they may be blessed. But also i have to pray for the outcome and that God make justice and that His will be done. I've prayed that his power be upon my situation. It's a challange when up against a trial in the natural and using one's faith in God and trusting Him that all will be well. I am though trusting Him. It has been a tough year and during that time i have grown and increased my faith in the Lord. It's certainly been and is a test of faith. I understand that when all is well it doesn't necessarily take much to trust, rely on and lean on Him but when tough times come that's when one's faith is pushed. I've learnt a lot during this time that no matter what people may say or do that is false, untrue or even evil, what is in my heart i've learnt to overcome whether having grudges, hurt, pain that i can exercise forgiveness and keep my heart free of those things that would damage me. That is wonderful in itself to be free of such feelings and hurt and have God's peace and strength within me helping me through this and seeing me through. My life is in His hands and ultimately i know He can work all things out for good to those who love and trust Him and seek to do His will.

I have prayed for those people who are against me, that God would touch in their hearts and mind and guide them in their decisions, and that they may be blessed. But also i have to pray for the outcome and that God make justice and that His will be done. I've prayed that his power be upon my situation. It's a challange when up against a trial in the natural and using one's faith in God and trusting Him that all will be well. I am though trusting Him. It has been a tough year and during that time i have grown and increased my faith in the Lord. It's certainly been and is a test of faith. I understand that when all is well it doesn't necessarily take much to trust, rely on and lean on Him but when tough times come that's when one's faith is pushed. I've learnt a lot during this time that no matter what people may say or do that is false, untrue or even evil, what is in my heart i've learnt to overcome whether having grudges, hurt, pain that i can exercise forgiveness and keep my heart free of those things that would damage me. That is wonderful in itself to be free of such feelings and hurt and have God's peace and strength within me helping me through this and seeing me through. My life is in His hands and ultimately i know He can work all things out for good to those who love and trust Him and seek to do His will.

Do you remember what became of Saul? God delivered David....and brought justice concerning Saul.

You may have seen me post these in other threads, but consider these just for you sister Sal: :)

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose.29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters." Romans 8:28-29.

"Now all glory to God, who is able to keep you from falling away and will bring you with great joy into his glorious presence without a single fault." Jude 1:24!

You have continued with Him Sal - good! The One who is Faithful to the end will not leave you now - or ever! :)

Do you remember what became of Saul? God delivered David....and brought justice concerning Saul.

You may have seen me post these in other threads, but consider these just for you sister Sal: :)

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose.29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters." Romans 8:28-29.

"Now all glory to God, who is able to keep you from falling away and will bring you with great joy into his glorious presence without a single fault." Jude 1:24!

You have continued with Him Sal - good! The One who is Faithful to the end will not leave you now - or ever! :)
Thanks Tressa, really encouraging!

Back