How to deal with Unbelieving Parent(s)?

I'm 20 years old and I've been saved for two years now, I'm in college and currently live with my mom. My mom claims that she believes in God, but I really don't think her spiritual fruit shows it. I try to be a Christian influence and sometimes try to talk to her about what she really believes. So far God hasn't opened her ears to hear and so I really don't know what to do.

I guess I should keep trying my best to be a good influence, but how do I make sure her ways don't influence me? Also how can I be a good influence without being too pushy?

This is just my opinion. Since both my parents are Christians, I haven't had to deal with parents that weren't Christians. But my cousin is not a Christian and I'm int he process of ministering to her.
I think the biggest mistake that we often make is we pressure nonbeliever's into believing in God. And when we keep pressing the issue, it can push the nonbelievers away.
This is what I do with my cousin, because I feel that this is what God has told me to do in dealing with her.
I pray for her. I also invite her to an event that my church holds once a month, it's called SoulFire. She's only been there once. She always makes some kind of excuse not to come. Which is understandable. She isn't a Christian. Why would going to church excite her? But she does go to church with her friends on Wednesday nights.

Anyways, I pray for her, invite her to SoulFire once a month, and I send daily scriptures to her. Just not her, btw. I have a group of people on my cell phone that I send daily scriptures out to.I also bought her a Bible and some jeans for Christmas. (I had to put in jeans, because I knew she wouldn't be excited about the Bible that she got!)

Slowly but surely, I feel that God is speaking to her. I believe that the Holy Spirit is making her want to learn more about Him. Because a looong time ago, she texted me randomly asking me what kind of books should she start reading in the Bible. IT just shows me that God is definitely speaking to her.

I believe one day she'll come to know Jesus. I pray that at the youth group she's attending, it'll speak to her.

Just keep praying for your mother. Show her the love of Jesus. Don't judge her. Because judgment will DEFINITELY push your mom away. Let your actions mirror God's actions. :) Still minister to her. But don't get to a point where you're pushing her away. listen to God's soft voice. He'll let you know.

Well, I guess I would be in the same boat with my 'father', only I really don't have any desire to 'minister' or even ask if he believes in God.

Both of my parents are not Christians. My Mum says she believes, just like you have said about your Mum. My Dad on the other hand will have nothing to do with church whatsoever. It is totally on my heart for my Dad especially.

I do completly agree with the advice xspinningisfun gave you. Just keep praying. Pray for chances to speak with your Mum or family about God. Maybe invite her to a church event sometime? Our church our having a Christmas Carol Concert which will be a free event, and it's just something great to invite non-Christians to. Everyone loves Christmas!¬ Are your church doing any events for Christmas? Even if it was to invite your Mum to the Christmas day service?

Keep praying. It sometimes seems like your not getting anywhere but God does hear you and his timing is perfect, we are just impatient. :)

Do you have the Alpha course where you are? This is designed for non-Christians if they have any questions about Christianity. Type it in google for more information if you've not heard of it.

Hope I helped, and best of luck for you and your family.

Keep praying. It sometimes seems like your not getting anywhere but God does hear you and his timing is perfect, we are just impatient. :)
Absolutely true. I love that!
He does hear you. We just sometimes get impatient when he doesn't answer immediately. If you are feeling like you're getting more impatient, pray for that patience that only God can give =) =) =)

And another thing, but do everything in SMALL steps. If you take too much of a biiiiig step, you may push your parents away more! Just do baby steps. Eventually, it will all be worth it =)

I love xspinnings advice it hits the hammer on the nail. My parents know of christ but turned away i think what it is is the fact that the people that were in their church werent perfect and the church people are always scrutinized the most! I try to remind them as long as we are human we are never perfect. So i say take small steps and pray.

I'm 20 years old and I've been saved for two years now, I'm in college and currently live with my mom. My mom claims that she believes in God, but I really don't think her spiritual fruit shows it. I try to be a Christian influence and sometimes try to talk to her about what she really believes. So far God hasn't opened her ears to hear and so I really don't know what to do.

I guess I should keep trying my best to be a good influence, but how do I make sure her ways don't influence me? Also how can I be a good influence without being too pushy?

Firstly, do not judge and condemn your mother as an unbeliever. She may have faith in God in her own way. God knows for sure.

Secondly, do as I do with my unbelieving parents...love them, honour them and always support them. Show them the light of Jesus not through words, but through your life and behaviour and actions.

It is possible for you to get your loved ones saved. I have got most of my family saved and I am now turning my attention to the extended family.

God wants everyone to get saved.
Eze 18:32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.

That is why God gave His only begotten son for us that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish.

So God has done His part.

Nobody in His right mind rejects the gospel. Satan blinds people not to receive the light of the glorious

2Co 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

The first thing to do is to command the devil to take his hands of your mothers mind, In the name which is above every name, Jesus Christ.

Then consider the words of the Lord Jesus:

Luk 10:2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.

Armed with the faith that it is the will of God for your mum to be saved,and you have broken the power of satan that blinds you mothers mind in the name of Jesus Christ, pray for the Lord of the harvest to send laborers into the field, or in other words ask God to send someone to tell your mum about the glorious gospel.It might be you or somebody God knows your mum will listen to.

And yes, continue to be the light shining in the dark place. Let all see your light.

Then thank God for the deliverance and salvation of your mum daily by faith, weather you see a change in her or not.
(Hebrews 11:1 says faith is the evidence of what we cannot see).
Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Do not forget to grow spiritually yourself. That way you will not be influenced by her instead.

1Pe 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Read the word of God every day to strengthen you.Let Gods love flow out of you towards her and do not get into animosity with her as you cannot pray effectively for people you do not love.

All you can do is be a good Christian example and let them see Jesus in you. As you get older if you do not lose your Christianity and stay firm in the faith they will see it was not just a passing thing of a young person and you will start to have more influence in there lives as you communicate more as one adult to another.

Back