How to interpret the scriptures?

Jesus is the word of God become flesh (John 1:14). In other words, in Jesus the scriptures became a reality. Therefore, to find the true meanings of the scriptures and have eternal life we must do what Jesus did (John 5:39).

Jesus preached the good news to the poor, healed the sick and brokenhearted and sacrificed his life so that those who betrayed him and were unfaithful to him may have eternal life (Luke 4:18 & Isaiah 61:1). He bore our affliction and oppression silently (Isaiah 53: 5 &7); healed and forgave sinners; and befriended Judas, although he knew that Juda would betray him. Furthermore, during his suffering and death he forgave his persecutors (Luke 23:34); was concerned about the suffering they would bring upon themselves by their sins rather than his own suffering (Luke 23:28). Through his chastisement he freed us from sin and put his spirit into our heart. We must, therefore, love one another as he has loved us (John 13:34-35); quietly bear each other’s burdens, forgive without any limit (Matt. 18:22); stay faithful to our marriage vows, even when there is betrayal and unfaithfulness; bind each other’s wounds; be a servant to others (John 13:14); and never condemn or give up on another human being.

Jesus is the word of God become flesh (John 1:14). In other words, in Jesus the scriptures became a reality. Therefore, to find the true meanings of the scriptures and have eternal life we must do what Jesus did (John 5:39).

Jesus preached the good news to the poor, healed the sick and brokenhearted and sacrificed his life so that those who betrayed him and were unfaithful to him may have eternal life (Luke 4:18 & Isaiah 61:1). He bore our affliction and oppression silently (Isaiah 53: 5 &7); healed and forgave sinners; and befriended Judas, although he knew that Juda would betray him. Furthermore, during his suffering and death he forgave his persecutors (Luke 23:34); was concerned about the suffering they would bring upon themselves by their sins rather than his own suffering (Luke 23:28). Through his chastisement he freed us from sin and put his spirit into our heart. We must, therefore, love one another as he has loved us (John 13:34-35); quietly bear each other’s burdens, forgive without any limit (Matt. 18:22); stay faithful to our marriage vows, even when there is betrayal and unfaithfulness; bind each other’s wounds; be a servant to others (John 13:14); and never condemn or give up on another human being.

I agree with you.

Jesus is the center of all Scriptures. ALL Scriptures are about Him and for Him as He is the Creator of all things.

Colossians 1:16-17..........
"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist."

That being the case, then we can understand that Jesus is seen in every book of the Bible.

Now having said that, I would also say that the best and only way to understand those facts is to take the Scriptures LITERALLY.

There are two main schools of Biblical interpretation and they are the Allegorical method and the Literal method.
If a person chooses the allegorical approach, he must understand that it makes man the authority over God’s Word rather than making the Bible the authority over man. It essentially neuters the Bible and makes it nothing more than a bunch of nice sayings that we make mean anything we want them to.

The Literal method of interpreting the Scriptures takes a completely opposite approach to interpreting the Bible from that of the Spiritual method. Those who are Biblical literalists like myself believe that every Word of the Bible – all sixty-six books of the Old and New Testaments from Genesis to Revelation are the very Word of God written from God to man for mans understanding.

2 Tim. 3:16...…….
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness”

I agree with you.

Jesus is the center of all Scriptures. ALL Scriptures are about Him and for Him as He is the Creator of all things.

Colossians 1:16-17..........
"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist."

That being the case, then we can understand that Jesus is seen in every book of the Bible.

Now having said that, I would also say that the best and only way to understand those facts is to take the Scriptures LITERALLY.

There are two main schools of Biblical interpretation and they are the Allegorical method and the Literal method.
If a person chooses the allegorical approach, he must understand that it makes man the authority over God’s Word rather than making the Bible the authority over man. It essentially neuters the Bible and makes it nothing more than a bunch of nice sayings that we make mean anything we want them to.

The Literal method of interpreting the Scriptures takes a completely opposite approach to interpreting the Bible from that of the Spiritual method. Those who are Biblical literalists like myself believe that every Word of the Bible – all sixty-six books of the Old and New Testaments from Genesis to Revelation are the very Word of God written from God to man for mans understanding.

2 Tim. 3:16...…….
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness”
Part of my testimony ( which I haven’t yet got round to posting) has been about a struggle on HOW to read the Bible. I always believed the Bible was a Spiritual book but never knew the meaning of the word Spiritual.
And with all these different schools flying about, about what different scriptures mean to different people, my bible just collected dust because I thought i would never understand it.

Now I just pray before I pick it up for guidance and see what it wants to reveal to me

Part of my testimony ( which I haven’t yet got round to posting) has been about a struggle on HOW to read the Bible. I always believed the Bible was a Spiritual book but never knew the meaning of the word Spiritual.
And with all these different schools flying about, about what different scriptures mean to different people, my bible just collected dust because I thought i would never understand it.

Now I just pray before I pick it up for guidance and see what it wants to reveal to me

You are on your way to being enlightened!

That's the way! I was the same.

How are you getting along, doing what Jesus did?

You said...……...
" Therefore, to find the true meanings of the scriptures and have eternal life we must do what Jesus did (John 5:39)".

While I understand what you are trying to say, may I say to you that actually.........for us as sinners to have eternal life, we must confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is God, that He died for us, and then rose again from the dead 3 days later and that action paid the penalty for our sins.

We can not do everything that Jesus DID.

We can preach the Word of God.
We can forgive others.
We can love others.
We can help others.
We can serve others.
We can be faithful to our mates.
We can allow Christ to live through us.

HOWEVER, Jesus died to save us from our sins because He is God and We can not die to pay for the sins of anyone.

speak for yourself Major but lots of matyrs in the Christian tradition willingly went to their deaths. Not that they were hoping their death would PAY for someone else's sin, but that they were ready to give up their own lives, that's why Paul said he died to himself, and why Jesus said to take up our cross and follow Him.

Not totally disagreeing with you but just to point out that we give our lives to Him, as that's all we have, and we all need to die to ourselves, so that others can live. Its like when a seed falls to the ground it has to die and be buried so that new life can come forth. If it doesn't die it just stays the same, or gets lost and doesn't do anything!

Back