How to know you have eternal life.

There is a simple way for you to know that you as a born again believer in Jesus, in fact, have Eternal Life.
And to know, all you have to understand, is what Eternal Life actually is..
Thats the key.
Now, you think of it as being alive forever, or, never dying spiritually., etc.
So, right here we have see there is a distinction between :Eternal life:, and "living forever".
Saint, everyone lives forever, as your body is just a temporary "house", and the real you will leave it one day, as the real you never dies.
Isn't it interesting to know that everyone who is in the obituary column today in the newspaper had no idea yesterday that they would be in a column that says...."DIED", today?

So, everyone lives forever, but not everyone has Eternal life and most Christians dont even know what Eternal life is, actually.
Lets look at how you can KNOW that you have "eternal life" by understanding what it actually is..

Lets say you have your bible, and you read this verse in 1 John 5:11

"""11: ""And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son."""

Now this verse just told you WHAT eternal life actually is..
"this life is IN his SON"..
See that?.....that verse is telling you that JESUS HIMSELF >IS< Eternal Life.
Jesus, IS eternal life.
("I am the way, the truth, the LIFE") John 14:6

Now read this..

"""12: ""He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.""""

See that?
You are now come to understand that if you have Jesus, you have Eternal life, and if you dont, you dont have eternal life.
Clear and simple, isnt it?
And THAT, is the difference between living forever, and having Eternal life.
See, the Christian has Eternal life, because they have the ONE who >IS< eternal life, whereas the lost person, the unbeliever will live forever, but they dont as a Christ Rejector have eternal life, so their destination is different in the end, then yours, if you are a Christian.

And finally.....so that you can KNOW you have Eternal life...

13: ""These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may KNOW KNOW KNOW KNOW that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.""

You are told that you can KNOW, and the reason you know, is that you understand that Eternal Life IS Jesus, and if you have him, if you are born again, then you know.

Now, from now on when you hear this...."Christ IN YOU the hope of Glory"....or that you are "In Christ"........you can put these scriptures together with your knowledge that Jesus IS Eternal life, and realize that as Jesus is IN YOU and you are IN HIM.....and because he IS Eternal LIFE< then you have it, and you know.
This explains also why you are "seated in heavenly places" Ephesians 2:6.... as you are seated there right now because the ONE who IS Eternal life is seated there and you are "in Christ".

K
<><

Last edited:
There is a simple way for you to know that you as a born again believer in Jesus, in fact, have Eternal Life.
And to know, all you have to understand, is what Eternal Life actually is..
Thats the key.
Now, you think of it as being alive forever, or, never dying spiritually., etc.
So, right here we have see there is a distinction between :Eternal life:, and "living forever".
Saint, everyone lives forever, as your body is just a temporary "house", and the real you will leave it one day, as the real you never dies.
Isn't it interesting to know that everyone who is in the obituary column today in the newspaper had no idea yesterday that they would be in a column that says...."DIED", today?

So, everyone lives forever, but not everyone has Eternal life and most Christians dont even know what Eternal life is, actually.
Lets look at how you can KNOW that you have "eternal life" by understanding what it actually is..

Lets say you have your bible, and you read this verse in 1 John 5:11

"""11: ""And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son."""

Now this verse just told you WHAT eternal life actually is..
"this life is IN his SON"..
See that?.....that verse is telling you that JESUS HIMSELF >IS< Eternal Life.
Jesus, IS eternal life.
("I am the way, the truth, the LIFE") John 14:6

Now read this..

"""12: ""He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.""""

See that?
You are now come to understand that if you have Jesus, you have Eternal life, and if you dont, you dont have eternal life.
Clear and simple, isnt it?
And THAT, is the difference between living forever, and having Eternal life.
See, the Christian has Eternal life, because they have the ONE who >IS< eternal life, whereas the lost person, the unbeliever will live forever, but they dont as a Christ Rejector have eternal life, so their destination is different in the end, then yours, if you are a Christian.

And finally.....so that you can KNOW you have Eternal life...

13: ""These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may KNOW KNOW KNOW KNOW that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.""

You are told that you can KNOW, and the reason you know, is that you understand that Eternal Life IS Jesus, and if you have him, if you are born again, then you know.

Now, from now on when you hear this...."Christ IN YOU the hope of Glory"....or that you are "In Christ"........you can put these scriptures together with your knowledge that Jesus IS Eternal life, and realize that as Jesus is IN YOU and you are IN HIM.....and because he IS Eternal LIFE< then you have it, and you know.
This explains also why you are "seated in heavenly places" Ephesians 2:6.... as you are seated there right now because the ONE who IS Eternal life is seated there and you are "in Christ".

K
<><

This is good but lets expand a little further in what eternal life is: eternal life is to KNOW God. John 16:3, "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent". 1John 5:20, " And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.

Now, we also need to know what it means to know Him. This answer can also be found in 1 John. 1 John 2:3-4, "Now by this we may know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says,"I know Him", and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him".
Also, it is important to look at verse 5: "But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in Him. By this we know that we are in Him." This also supports your point that eternal life is in Jesus.

Last edited:
This is good but lets expand a little further in what eternal life is: eternal life is to KNOW God.

-
Well, regarding keeping commandments to "know God"....
To begin with not you or anyone on this forum "keeps his commandments" perfectly, ither before or after you were "saved".
So, that scripture, is really not the best choice to try to prove your point.
There have been times that you didnt keep Jesus's 2 commandments, and certainly not Moses's 10, as that is not even what that scripture is talking about.
So, we have to tread lightly when we are trying to prove that our righteousness is kept by our "keeping commandments", for if this was the case, then non of us ........

Something you might consider when you pull out James, or Hebrews, or 1st John, to prove what you are actually talking about here, is that John says something interesting.
He says that if "we" say we have no "sin".
Now he is ither preaching the gospel to lost people there that need to get saved, , or he is speaking specifically about himself and all the rest..
And if he is speaking about John as included in the "we", .... he speaking about sinning, and so...I wonder which commandments he broke, (didnt keep) if i read the verse as you are explaining it, in that he is speaking to believers and including himself as a "sinner".

So, knowing God is to know Jesus, as Jesus is God., however, in the context of 1 John 5's "knowing that you have eternal life", we are talking about the Eternal one who comes to live within us... Jesus.
Also...... The Devil >knows< God, and this does not give him "eternal life".
So, you can know God and it not help you at all.
So, as Jesus IS Life, then having Him, is the difference between living forever, and having Eternal life.

-
To begin with not you or anyone on this forum "keeps his commandments" perfectly, ither before or after you were "saved".
There have been times that you didnt keep Jesus's 2 commandments, and certainly not Moses's 10, as that is not even what that scripture is talking about.
So, we have to tread lightly when we are trying to prove that our righteousness is kept by our "keeping commandments", for if this was the case, then non of us ........

Something you might consider when you pull out James, or Hebrews, or 1st John, to prove what you are actually talking about here, is that John says something interesting.
Now he is ither preaching the gospel to lost people there that need to get saved, , or he is speaking specifically about himself and all the rest..
And if he is speaking about John as included in the "we", .... he speaking about sinning, and so...I wonder which commandments he broke, (didnt keep) if i read the verse as you are explaining it, in that he is speaking to believers and including himself as a "sinner".

So, knowing God is to know Jesus, as Jesus is God., however, in the context of 1 John 5's "knowing that you have eternal life", we are talking about the Eternal one who comes to live within us... Jesus.
So, as Jesus IS Life, then having Him, is the difference between living forever, and having Eternal life.
Ok, let's be honest here: what does 1John 2:3-6 mean then? It is written in plain language for anyone to see. It plainly tells us how we can know that we know God. And this on the heels of verse 8-10 of chapter 1 that you referred to, AND the whole book(letter)of 1 John, which tells us what love is and describes how to love.

Last edited:
Ok, let's be honest here: what does 1John 2:3-6 mean then? It is written in plain language for anyone to see. It plainly tells us how we can know that we know God. And this on se 8-10 of chapter 1 that you referred to, AND the whole book(letter)of 1 John, which tells us what love is and describes how to love.
-

John 3:16 Any one. Any who so ever.
You except Christ into your heart and become born of the spirit then you have inherited through the blood of Christ eternal life with GOD.

When a human being dies there are only two choices of where they will spend eternity.
Either with the Father or Seprarated from the Father.
You have been born of Gods spirit and have the Blood of Christ covering you then it is Life erteral with the Father if not.......well you are separated from the Father which is the second death.

The second death wich is talked about in the Gospels is referring to the separation from the Father.
God Bless

Ok, let's be honest here: what does 1John 2:3-6 mean then? It is written in plain language for anyone to see. It plainly tells us how we can know that we know God. And this on the heels of verse 8-10 of chapter 1 that you referred to, AND the whole book(letter)of 1 John, which tells us what love is and describes how to love.

I pray this blesses you Mykuhl, remember that because of the Blood of Jesus, we now are looked upon by the Father as righteous. So even if we make mistakes, once they are confessed (1John 1:9) (which is for us to be able to get rid of them, for as we repent from sin, it has no more hold on us unless we allow it to again) God throws our sins as far as the east is from the west, and remembers them no more. So Jesus's Blood has become our covering. We are under grace......God's overwhelming desire to treat you and me as if sin never happened. So as 1 Peter 5:12b says stand firm in this grace.

Blessings to you!

I pray this blesses you Mykuhl, remember that because of the Blood of Jesus, we now are looked upon by the Father as righteous. So even if we make mistakes, once they are confessed (1John 1:9) (which is for us to be able to get rid of them, for as we repent from sin, it has no more hold on us unless we allow it to again) God throws our sins as far as the east is from the west, and remembers them no more. So Jesus's Blood has become our covering. We are under grace......God's overwhelming desire to treat you and me as if sin never happened. So as 1 Peter 5:12b says stand firm in this grace.

Blessings to you!
Thank you for that Cturtle. I do agree with what said and I do know and acknowledge that and it is a marvelous thing that we have that provision. Don't get me wrong I am not saying nor even implying that we can earn any of our righteous or repentance, but we do have a part to play in all of this as well. Our part involves acting on our faith by keeping His commandments and following Him....walking as He walked. It is clearly taught throughout the new testament and even the old that saving faith is an active faith.

And I think all of you are correct.
For if I do not have Yeshua in my heart, and will not want to live according to those commandments you have spoken about but rather according to the flesh, but since I have Him in me, I now want to live according to it, because I want to please my Father in heaven and show Him that I love Him.
It is thus not an external action I am trying to force, but boils from within me.

For if I do not have Yeshua in my heart, and will not want to live according to those commandments you have spoken about but rather according to the flesh, but since I have Him in me, I now want to live according to it, because I want to please my Father in heaven and show Him that I love Him.
It is thus not an external action I am trying to force, but boils from within me.
Well said! I agree.

Thank you for that Cturtle. I do agree with what said and I do know and acknowledge that and it is a marvelous thing that we have that provision. Don't get me wrong I am not saying nor even implying that we earn or can earn any of our righteous or repentance, but we do have a part to play in all of this as well. Our part involves acting on our faith by keeping His commandments and following Him....walking as He walked. It is clearly taught throughout the new testament and even the old that saving faith is an active faith.

Mykuhl this is all true but there is one more piece to the puzzle here. ~ GRACE ~
This covers all of our short comings or mistakes and so forth. We can miss it by a mile and Grace is right there. What I mean is ...example........God says to go minister to this lady with the blue hat. So you head off and for some reason once you got around this lady she made you very uneasy and you kind of botched up your ministering.

Grace has you covered. God will give you the credit BECAUSE YOU OBEYED HIM not on how you did. He will fix it even if He has to send some one else to do it over. That is How Much God Loves Us. He is looking for obedience not perfection.
Just wanted to add this.
God Bless You
Jim

Exactly........Obedience..........You Love Him so you have a DESIRE to be obedient as to show Him honor and respect and LOVE. Amen
Blessings
Jim

Thank you Jim. You are correct and I agree with you[emoji2]. It is the obedience through the heart of love for Him that our Lord and Father wants. There is a deep meaning why Jesus said, "If you love Me keep my commandments". The obedience flows out of the love we have for Him and that love flows out of the Spirit that lives in us.

Thank you for that Cturtle. I do agree with what said and I do know and acknowledge that and it is a marvelous thing that we have that provision. Don't get me wrong I am not saying nor even implying that we can earn any of our righteous or repentance, but we do have a part to play in all of this as well. Our part involves acting on our faith by keeping His commandments and following Him....walking as He walked. It is clearly taught throughout the new testament and even the old that saving faith is an active faith.

Oh i fully agree! Because walking in love and forgiveness, is the key commandments other than to love and believe on the Lord Jesus (1 John 3:23) Just wanted to encourage you is all.
Blessings!

Oh no you dont I asked you this first ! lol
You posted this and I wondered if there was more or what it was to.

It not a legal thing and it never was meant to be...from the beginning.
Lol....that was just a follow up to the last post I made...just meant to be a little add on. Meaning....we don't do what we do because we are following the law but because we love God. That it was never meant to be our motivation for acting.

Back