How would you answer?

If someone said to you, “I don't believe in God.” how would you answer?
I would say, "sorry to hear that." I would not go into any questions of why because there is nothing you can say to them to change their minds at that time. I would pray for them and as often as I am around the person, I would let Jesus light shine through me and let the Holy Spirit do the rest.

Matthew 5:14-16
14 “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. 15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

Entirely depends on the situation. If a random person out of the blue says this, more often than not they are desiring to engage in some type of dialouge about it. I would take that as an opportunity to witness to that person. I often pray that somehow, someway, I can be a blessing to someone that day. Given my situation, I don't get many opportunities after losing my license. I go to work, church, and home. Any opportunities I get I will usually try to take advantage of. The few times I have tried I feel like I have failed; I can always think of 1,000 different ways I could have handled it better, or said something different.

If it is someone you know, I would feel even more compelled to witness. If that person knows you and has been around you, it can be a challenging and even embarrassing situation (if) you haven't been living and acting like you should (the "you" here is ANY Christian, of course).

After accepting Christ, I told my cellmate my testimony before being released. I told others as well, but I'll never forget his response. He certainly didn't attribute it to God, told me I finally 'made peace' with my situation there and basically "worked it out in my mind", or things to that effect. I didn't press the issue. I would certainly love a do-over.

Since "I don't believe in God" is a statement and not really a question, the response could be an "ok" or a polite 'head nod'. But I can't imagine any Christian not following up in some way. Again, depends on the situation, but I would hate to regret it later if I did nothing.

Asking them "why not" would be the most logical to start and see what deveops. You could also start with, "Well, this is what God for me" and see what unfolds. The key is to BE READY. 2 Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth".

Another option is to remind them of beautiful paintings, buildings, all the wonderful technology that man has invented. Remind them what they all have in common, a CREATOR. The creation argument is a divisive one, but you never know if a seed will be planted.

Being hit out of the blue like that is challenging; that's why knowing God's Word is your best resource. Some would bombard the person with scripture, which I'm not sure is the best way to go. Knowing key verses can be invaluable though, again, possibly planting a seed.

As far as your question goes, I'm assuming you are referring to getting into some type of debate with a fervent atheist. And yes, most likely there is little we can do or say to change their mind. I took the question at face value and answered that way. Either way, I would feel compelled to give some type of response. You have to remember that they arent rejecting you, they are rejecting Him. Mark 6:

4 But Jesus, said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

5 And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them.

6 And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching.

I have experienced that. I asked them what they do believe in. Then shared with them why I believe that God does exist, indeed, must exist for this universe to be so finely tuned for life to exist. They did not respond, just nodded their head and walked away. Sometimes all we can do is plant a seed, another will water it, still another will nurture it, but it is God that gives the increase.

If someone said to you, “I don't believe in God.” how would you answer?
I would say, "sorry to hear that." I would not go into any questions of why because there is nothing you can say to them to change their minds at that time. I would pray for them and as often as I am around the person, I would let Jesus light shine through me and let the Holy Spirit do the rest.

Matthew 5:14-16
14 “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. 15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

We can't change their minds but God's Spirit can using His Word found in His Scriptures..

How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?” So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
— Romans 10:14-17

The Book of Acts would be about two chapters long if there was nothing we could say to change their minds.

After thinking a bit about this, (that can be dangerous), I'd most likely counter with "Which God are you referring to?" (agreeing with LTLG in post #2) That would at least open some doors for further discussion.
Many people have ideas in their head of what God is and dislike those ideas so they simply don't believe. We must first eliminate all those wrong ideas before we can begin.

For example, if God to them is animal sacrifice and blood strewn against the altar then of course they will balk. Who in the 21st century wants to worship a stone-age notion of God?

I encounter this all the time in the SF Bay Area. This part of the country is a tough crowd.

I have heard the statement, "I don't believe in God," (for their reasons) because of all the **** that is going on in the world.

I practice listening to their belief, or lack of belief. But if I was able to establish a common ground with them be it music, sports, the arts, etc...I hope I earned their respect by listening to them so when they discern that about me I can share my belief in God and Christ Jesus.

Jesus was the Master at developing a common ground reference John 4 when Jesus spoke to the Samaritan Woman. Priceless!

Many don't receive my belief but at least I earned their respect by listening as I share. At some point I'm led to take a step back and let it go. But as we walk away I have to have all the faith the Holy Spirit was moving in them.

It's wonderful when I learn how a person I may have met ended up receiving Christ. Many remain on the wider gate but as Christ teaches, only a few will find and enter the narrow gate.

This is a great topic,
How would you answer?

Back