Humility toward the Lord

Humility toward the Lord

Luke 7

37) And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,

38) And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.

What is the attitude of the women symbolize? This lady and the way she approached Jesus symbolized humility. She did not care about anyone else in that room or what they would think of her for her actions, She just focused on Jesus. She knew she was a sinner, she knew that she was undeserving: and so are we, we also are so undeserving of every bit of mercy that the Lord has given us. Who are we but a frame of dust? (Psalm 103:14) “For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust”, (Psalm 103:13) “Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.” (Lamentations 3:22) “It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.” (Lamentations 3:23) “They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.” It is completely of the Lord’s mercy and his compassion for us that He died for us, manifest in the flesh. (Romans 8:3-4) “For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” How much we owe God no man could give back, no man can repay, (Romans 6:23) “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

What did the women using her own tears and hair symbolize? The women was willing to give herself to Jesus, if by any means that she may find favor and mercy in His sight.

The lady made her single effort and focus about Jesus and shouldn’t we do the same? (Isaiah 53:5) “But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.” and the Lord, our Lord should be the center of our life, our joy, our happiness, and our strength. (Philippians 4:13) “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” (Romans 13:14) “But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.” (Matthew 11:29) “Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.”

These are the characteristic of Christ as he walked the earth before he was crucified, “meek and lowly in heart” (Philippians 2:7) “But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.” (Matthew 5:3) “Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” When we put on Christ, we put on humility, the opposite of pride, the opposite of self-willed and selfishness. (Matthew 22:37) “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.” (Matthew 22:39) “And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” takes a lot of unselfishness and humbleness to do. To stride to be like the Lord is to stride not to have a will of our own, but of our Father’s which is in heaven. (Matthew 7:21) “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Back