I am shielded in my armor
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb
I touch no one and no one touches me
I am a rock
I am an island
And a rock feels no pain
And an island never cries

Songwriters: Paul Simon

I was thinking the other day how good the lyrics are to this song and how relevant they are to modern day problems of alienation via social media technologies. Also they speak to our lives as Christians.
For many of you here, this is not relevant any more. You have matured in your faith journey. You have matured as a person. Some of you are grandparents with grandkids and stay in touch with the extended family. Or you are highly visible in your Christian communities.
For myself, I admit to these lyrics striking a chord in my life right now. I sometimes choose "a fortress deep and mighty". I sometimes "use my books to protect me". I choose to be an island in many situations. I probably avoid close relationships to some degree except my wife of course. I don't want anyone to get too close because they might just see the frightened child inside. The one terrified of his elderly years and God's final judgement.
"hiding in my room, safe within my womb" ouch! that hurts. :) But I suspect I am not the only one. I sense a dreadful malaise of loneliness out there . People just as lonely as me. if not more so. The net, the virtual world is an easier option. You don't have to leave your house. You can connect with people all round the world in a few seconds. Just the idea of it sounds more appealing than attending a local senior citizens club and playing bridge. (sorry to Bridge players :) ). But is the net really addressing that nagging sense of loneliness we feel inside?
I hear you say "well Jesus Christ is the only one who can truly address that yearning." And I agree of course. How many of us prioritize our real life Christian Church community over our Internet social media life? At the moment I don't do this.
There's one saving grace in all this. the following lyric does not apply to me:
"its laughter and its loving I disdain"
Ive always liked "good" humour. Being with people who can laugh at themselves. Not be too pompous.. And real love. Well how could I not love "real love".?
Unconditional acceptance is a great feeling. Ive been fortunate to experience that many times in my life.

Back