I am having problems with my church...

I am having problems with my church...

Since I was born, I was raised in the church of Christ. It is a lot different than any other denominations out there. For example, they think it is wrong to have instrumental music because it is not specifically mentioned in the NT. Personally, I find nothing wrong with instrumental music because if it was no longer necessary, Jesus would have told us so. I.E) Circumcision was necc. in OT but the disciples made it clear that it is no longer needed for salvation. If this be the case with instrumental music, wouldn't Jesus had said something???
But what bothers me the most is the the so called "church of Christ" view of women. I know what the scriptures say about women in ministry and what the roles are etc. But I feel that my church takes this to the extreme. I.E) we have teen gatherings every month and before we eat we pray. The person leading the prayer always has to be a guy. Another example is my aunt. Every year, she spends hundreds of dollars on the kids for VBS supplies. I can honestly say that she spends more time preparing for VBS than any other member at my church. Despite all this, our church will not let her to be the organizer because she is a woman. Somehow, my church lets women teach children but in VBS, which is primarily for the children anyway, women can not lead. This is downright unjust and I am absolutely fed up with it. When I get my own car, I am going to try a different church. God willing, if I have a daughter, I want to raise her in a church where she will feel appreciated. Even at a young age, little girls realize when they are being discriminated against and I don't want mine to feel the way I did.
I am thinking about trying the Lutheran church but does anyone have any suggestions??

As one that has led Bible School, Sunday School AND Luther League, I can tell you that the Lutheran Church has absolutely NO problem letting women be in charge of things. :)

I'm sorry that you are feeling dissatisfaction with your church. I pray that you find peace within its walls.

A friend once said "He who walks away from the Lord and his people cannot be himself loyal to our creator". I understand your concern, but to leave your church is to walk away. Just like you would walk by His side into the fire, stay at His side and the battle shall be won. We all have our place and purpous, and it is evident in Him.

Sorry but I do not agree with the previous comments.
Changing churches is not the same as walking away from the Lord!
I know many churches seem to think that they are perfect but they are not.
God may well use and bless the church that you are presently attending but even that does not mean it is the right church for you at this time.
I do not even know what church you presently attend so this is not a dig at them.
Prayerfully ask God to lead you.
Visit a few other churches.
Make an appointment and discuss the issues with their pastor.
Then make your decision.

hmmm

Well I tottally agree with some churches taking that whole women stay in your place thing totally crazy. I get the fact a man should not be over a man but over children...Women can handle that.

I dont think running is the answer but I would probably run myself...lol so Pray about it and see what happens...but a lutheran church!! Isnt that the total opposite from a church of God in Christ...???

I didn't necessarily mean that she should stay. I know there is nothing worse than feeling unhappy in your church home. I just hope you can find some kind of peace there and then make a decision to either stay or look for something new.

Well I tottally agree with some churches taking that whole women stay in your place thing totally crazy. I get the fact a man should not be over a man but over children...Women can handle that.

I dont think running is the answer but I would probably run myself...lol so Pray about it and see what happens...but a lutheran church!! Isnt that the total opposite from a church of God in Christ...???

I am still studying. Unfortunately, I cannot find a new church home until I get my driver's license (February) and there is no telling when my Dad will get me a car. As for the Lutheran church, you might be right, I need to do more studying. I just know that in my church, I don't feel the spirit of God at all but at my friend's church, I recently felt God's spirit for the first time in my life.

We must teach as did the Apostles

Firstly i will address the question of weather or not women are allowed to teach with in the church. The bible says that women are not allowed to teach or to have authority over men, but are allowed to teach other women and children
12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. ( Timothy 2:12)
and
For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.
14:34 Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says.
14:35 And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church.
14:36 Or did the word of God come originally from you? Or was it you only that it reached?
14:37 If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord.
14:38 But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant.(1 Corinthians 14:33-38 )

we must if we want to stay obedient to the Lord follow these commandments

i can recommend that you try one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches
a good link is www.ourchurch.com/member/t/Truth4Today/

As I stated before, I am aware of these scriptures and that you're right; I am not to have authority over a man. Let me ask you this: How is leading VBS for the children taking authority over a man? How is praying to God before dinner taking authority over a man ? women can have duties in the church without defying these scriptures. When these scriptures are taken too far and out of context, then it becomes discouraging and depressing. The holy spirit is leading me to worship in a church where I can find love trough Christ. If any of you feel that I don't have a good enough reason, let me go over some more "church of Christ" views with you that I find to be unscriptural: If one is not a member of the church of Christ denomination, they are going to hell (scripture please....), If one is not baptized, they are going to hell. Right now, I can't find the scripture but I think it's in Romans. Anyway it say, "If you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord, you will be saved. It doesn't say anything about baptism.

Hello Suzie,
in reading over your posts on this there does seem to be many issues that you have with your current church. Fist I do suggest that you get out of there if you so disagree with their doctrine and are doing so from a pure heart.
Let me address some of the issues that you posted. First about women over men. You stated that you know the scriptures. They are solid even if many people do not hold to them. I suggest that you hold to them in your heart as well as practice. You asked how leading a BBS was violating scripture. It would depend. At what level of authority would she be serving? Total authority with no accountability? Is a man setting the ground rules and she is following or would she be doing it all? You see if she was totally over this without accountability she would be over men and that is forbidden.

Next you mentioned girls/women praying openly. There is no direct scripture forbidding this. However where there are men present I would suggest that they be called on for prayer. The reason is that they need to learn to be the ones hold up the others (women) in prayer to the Lord. There is some evidence that in the Lord intended this.

Titus 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

Notice the command is for men. So one could base an argument on this passage. However as I said certainly in a place where there are only females it is not a problem for her to pray in public.

Next you mentioned that if you are not a member of "church of Christ" you are going to hell. That is starting to change from most of them. That is very much old thought and is certainly not biblical. You are correct that they are simply wrong!

About not being baptized and going to hell. This to is incorrect provided that the person is not refusing to be baptized. Then they would be showing that they have not come to repentance and are still in rebellion and lost.

I hope that you are able to find a church that meets the bible's teachings. I would suggest that you seriously examine why you want out of the Church of Christ. By that I mean is your heart so surrendered too the Lord that you only want to be led by a church that follows His word? You want your own life to be a glowing example of His truth? Are you burning for truth or personal satification? If so then seek the Lord and he will provide. However if you only want out of there because their teachings hurt your pride and since of so called rights, then I suggest that you remain and seek he Lord for a heart change and once you have it seek another church.
God bless

As I stated before, I am aware of these scriptures and that you're right; I am not to have authority over a man. Let me ask you this: How is leading VBS for the children taking authority over a man? How is praying to God before dinner taking authority over a man ? women can have duties in the church without defying these scriptures. When these scriptures are taken too far and out of context, then it becomes discouraging and depressing. The holy spirit is leading me to worship in a church where I can find love trough Christ. If any of you feel that I don't have a good enough reason, let me go over some more "church of Christ" views with you that I find to be unscriptural: If one is not a member of the church of Christ denomination, they are going to hell (scripture please....), If one is not baptized, they are going to hell. Right now, I can't find the scripture but I think it's in Romans. Anyway it say, "If you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord, you will be saved. It doesn't say anything about baptism.

Dear, You are looking for favorability with God, that is sound .. You are not in malice to favor your intent, rather you can do much more then preaching of words in front of a pulpit, you can preach with good deed formidability of precious mannerism as you dedicate to the heavenly father God, rather as you make up your mind, do what favors your family to fullness of relate .. For you are in choice to make a means of devotion to Christ, is there something wrong with that ? Rather which is better to ignore goodness sake or to make means in positive haste to represent Christ Jesus ? For I tell you it is better to live upto recommendations of consent than to not make any productive effort to live according to the Gospel .. For as you care to be a saint, you are in recommendation to understand the favorable, therefore you are in good considering for practicing the consentful in insight to give a posture to lend another .. For to care is of the truly spiritual, for as one cares one relates to developing definite approach of the valid priorities .. I tell you this because of my love to you, and much greater is the love of God to you than mines, therefore will God not pardon you for involving for him ? Any who has ears aught to listen ..

If you are to preach, preach with the intent as of the significance the most high is to your soul, for if you are to do this good in error, greater are you than one who cares not for the ways of God .. Rather if it suffices you to dedicate to Jesus the Christ so very much, keep that same level of mighty enthusiasm in your soul and heart with might that you sin not, verily sin not, that you are a full demonstration by the work of God to teach in full capacity, that you knock and God will open, seek and you shall find, ask and you shall be given, for would not you be so lovely enduring the highest significance whom is God for life till the end ? For to do a good deed, father rewards openly, and as your deed is good, God is not like man that man questions your pardon when you do good, rather God within you is guiltless realities for as you proceed to do the most significant things in your life for good, how can you be secondary with God ? Rather God is a good God, and the author of Good is He ..

This I have written because of my love for you, Suzie and far greater is the love of God onto you, wherefore is God not a God of assurance ? Verily God is a God of assurance with hope for good ..

Back