" I Am "

Dusty

Inactive
" I Am "

I can only find one place where God says ' I AM" in the O. T. and was wondering why was it captialized when all the rest was ... I am the Lord , there is no other , I am the Lord , the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac.

Here is the verse I am referring to :
Exodus 3:14
God said to Moses, "I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

Then in the N. T. Jesus says I am the bread of life ... I am the Light of the world ... I am the Door .... I am the Good Shepherd.... I am the way the Truth and the life ... I am the true Vine.

Revelation 21:6
He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life.

The only thing that I can say to link the two " I am's " is that Jesus was telling us that He and the Father are one .Because Jesus tells us that He existed before Abraham was born.

In John 8 :58 ... He said " Most assuredly , I say to you , before Abraham was ,"I AM ."

In John 8 :58 ... He said " Most assuredly , I say to you , before Abraham was ,"I AM ."

And the reaction of the Pharisees to his revelation makes it clear that they knew what Jesus was saying.

John 8
58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”
59 Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

They wanted to stone Him to death for blasphemy. And they tried to stone Him again.

John 10
25 Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father’s name, they bear witness of Me. 26 But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. 27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.
31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. 32 Jesus answered them, “Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?”
33 The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I believe in a lot of cases, the “am” was added for clarity.
It should be italicized in those cases, “I am the Lord”
A literal translation would have said, “I the Lord”

I see the words, “I AM” as not just a statement of who God is, but of what God is as well.
Like the question of whether or not God exists?
I say it’s not whether or not God exists, but just the fact that “GOD IS”
Nothing more or less. GOD IS.
He just “IS”

there is a lot to be explained about the old testament.the Lord Jesus talks of God all the time,few times lord.also 1 time says abba father,i can,t believe Christ said abba father,i believe he said father,but in that tongue abba was given.there is lots to learn.

Both the Father and Jesus say "I am" That is who He is. Yes and what He is.
He is deliverance. He is healing He is blessing. He is joy.

He is.

I would say that the translators did not put the I am as I Am because the context says "I Am"

Amen ... There are so many verses when we look up' 'I am ". I like that I am and " He is '"and always will be . He can never be I was...

I AM .... I am God . The very beginning , God , Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

When He says I AM in capitals , I also think He is telling us that there is no one else . There are no other gods but THE GOD .

Alpha and Omega .... the first and the last .

Another point for interest.

I AM : The name by which God wished to be known and worshipped in Israel - the name expressed His Character as the dependable and faithful God who desires the full trust of His people .

The Lord : the Hebrew for this name is Yahweh. If means " He is " or " He will be " . When God speaks of Himself He says " I AM " and when we speak of Him we say " He is".

Back