I believe factory farming needs to go!

Yes, factory farming is the real issue, and maybe our greed?
Well, industrialisation has played a huge part in our civilisations but I don't know how much it has truly benefited everyone or just a very few.

There are economies of scale, but then where do the huge profits go?

Jonah 4:11
The Lord pities Nineveh (and their livestock?)
The animals had fasted in ch.3 v.7, and even been covered in sackcloth!

He cares about His animals 🤗

Well, industrialisation has played a huge part in our civilisations but I don't know how much it has truly benefited everyone or just a very few.

There are economies of scale, but then where do the huge profits go?
what has it benefited. it made them huge profits . in some ways it may have helped in the beginning . but to be more honest the more i am around corps the more turned off i get.

In plant production sometimes I think the scale of it has gone out of hand for example whole areas of the Spanish countryside are covered in plastic, to grow tomatoes for the British market, because it's too cold to grow tomatoes in Britain, and they want tomatoes year round.

Tomatoes may be cheaper, but undercover tomatoes are tasteless.

In NZ while we don't factory farm sheep, poultry and pork are a different matter, and there are some fish farms.
However, the forest destroyed to make sheep runs and pasture means we'll never get it back. And often the land that was forested was too marginal for farming anyway. The trees were taken for timber, but a lot of it was just burned and wasted.

Now we have exotic pine plantations, but the wood is inferior and we've already had problems with leaky buildings made from this timber (needs to be chemically treated as well!)

Honestly when I think about all this waste and disrespect for our natural resources I wonder how we'll ever be able to live within our means. Making it cheaper for someone else means that someone has to pay the price of that expense and someone is making a huge profit and not giving back what they have taken.

My question for all of us is this, what is the ideal solution to better farming?
farming is farming .not much can be done to improve. i am just not a fan of corp farming see we have regulated everything to death. lots of this favors the big corporation . i would suggest look up a citizens united supreme court ruling in 2010. my issue with corporation's is it takes the small time business owner out of the picture. my parents owned a grocery store in the town i grew up in. population in the city limits around 350 . of course they carried a wide variety of goods feed lawnmowers tillers garden hand tools. there was 2 stores in this town both owners successful. my dad had a 8th grade education. for the most he figured his own % for profit. not many small town stores these days. hard to compete with Kroger's and Walmart. they can operate on a small % because they carry a larger inventory .

my father n law use to work for a big farmer he had several thousands of acers he farmed. he owned numerous vehicles and a airplane. i am sure he farmed on Government money and of course he had borrow money to plant crops . a small farmer taking on a thousand acers bad drought wipes you out or in the flatlands floods . hard make a living .

imo no easy solution to farming the price of equipment break downs can you get the part ? when will it be here .is it the right one? some shops has teh parts some has to order. then the manufacture can phase out that model tractor/equipment . small farmer makes due with what he has. the big Corp borrows the money pays it back later on. buys new.. equal playing field is needed .IMO

this is a rabbit chase but read this article https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/citizens-united-explained

good for N.Z i do think the chemicals weed control does more harm than good
Been trying to get roundup (glysophate) banned for ages but councils and farmers STILL use it...and it's still sold in stores.

Chemical fertiliser run off/leaching is also a problem.

Regenerative farming or permaculture is the way to go but many are still stuck in the old 'modern' ways of doing things.

The farms need to be a sustainable size (small holdings) rather than corporatised. But also depends on the fertility of the land some land is not able to be farmed and better put to other use. Crop rotation and grazing needs to be done in cycles, and it needs to be syntropic (ie. multi layered) rather than monoculture.

As for fish farms I am not sure they are the answer, I think setting aside land for hunting and gathering is a good idea and these areas should be protects as well as some areas left wild, especially spawning grounds so that fish populations can recover. Rivers ought to be protected and businesses banned from dumping waste into them.

The more biodiverse an ecosystem is, the more resilient it will be. For example, some wildlife sancturaries made the mistake of only planting native species and concentrating on native birds. But they forgot about the INSECTS that birds might eat for food. And also, providing fruit trees even non-native species for the birds to eat year round. People need to study ecological niches as species will can over or under populate if there is a gap. Its the classic case of there being a too big a rodent problem if there are no cats around to catch the mice.

Back