I Don't Know How I Would Respond To This

Interesting article. I think he has some misconceptions about how the Holy Spirit works, but he may be right about having placed himself beyond salvation by blaspheming the Holy Spirit, though he didn't say he actually attributed the work of the Holy Spirit to Satan (since I'm guesssing he doesn't believe in Satan, either), so one would have to study out exactly what constitutes blasphemy of the H. S. Any time we use a formula when we evangelise, we run the risk of encountering someone who has become aware of the formula and has ready responses. I think we rely too much on formulas and not enough on the Holy Spirit.

Untill this person asks about God then no ground work can be laid. Everything else is just force. Gods love is just is, christians who push for anything more with someone is not acting out of love. If you want to answer this person, love them first then you will know what to say.

I think the problem this person has is that they have designed an argument based on a portion of scripture which gives them an escape clause. They have specifically structured their argument to end in a debate on which the normal evangelist has very little knowledge or experience. The evangelist has no way of knowing in what context the atheist is using this argument. An athiests who denys the exstence of God also denies the existence of Satan, so logically how can somebody blaspheme something they denies exists? Not a logical argument.

I would just leave them and go on to people who are receptive to the gospel - leave these kinds of people to the trained apologists. Jesus said we must not throw our pearls to the swine. Dust our feet off and go to people whom God has prepared their hearts.

I think the problem this person has is that they have designed an argument based on a portion of scripture which gives them an escape clause. They have specifically structured their argument to end in a debate on which the normal evangelist has very little knowledge or experience. The evangelist has no way of knowing in what context the atheist is using this argument. An athiests who denys the exstence of God also denies the existence of Satan, so logically how can somebody blaspheme something they denies exists? Not a logical argument.

I would just leave them and go on to people who are receptive to the gospel - leave these kinds of people to the trained apologists. Jesus said we must not throw our pearls to the swine. Dust our feet off and go to people whom God has prepared their hearts.

I agree. You can't argue people into Heaven. If they are determined to be rebellious, there is little we can do other than to pray for them. If you made an honest attempt to share the gospel, you have done what you can do, pretty much. Of course, if this is some person with whom you have regular contact, it is vital that you demonstrate the gospel in your life on an ongoing basis, but I think here we are primarily talking about contacts with more or less random people we meet or street evangelising situations.

As I sat here thinking about this, I remembered an evangelism effort by some members of a church to which I once belonged. It was presented as a survey, the questions being designed to lead into a gospel presentation. As I reflected on this, I realized that this was basically a deception. The would-be evangelists would approach a person under the pretense of doing a survey, when their objective was to present someone with the gospel. It was well-meant, and a clever idea in a way, but was disengenuous.

I agree. You can't argue people into Heaven. If they are determined to be rebellious, there is little we can do other than to pray for them. If you made an honest attempt to share the gospel, you have done what you can do, pretty much. Of course, if this is some person with whom you have regular contact, it is vital that you demonstrate the gospel in your life on an ongoing basis, but I think here we are primarily talking about contacts with more or less random people we meet or street evangelising situations.

As I sat here thinking about this, I remembered an evangelism effort by some members of a church to which I once belonged. It was presented as a survey, the questions being designed to lead into a gospel presentation. As I reflected on this, I realized that this was basically a deception. The would-be evangelists would approach a person under the pretense of doing a survey, when their objective was to present someone with the gospel. It was well-meant, and a clever idea in a way, but was disengenuous.

This method of evangelsing is very typical of Christian cults - they come 'cloaked' and then only after they hook you, do they show their true colours.

We are not supposed to be ashamed of the gospel - IMO anybody who evangelises using deception does not know the true power of the gospel. They try to evangelise on their own strength and do nor rely on the Holy Spirit.

Lol, this is so easy to counter.

Jesus said to those who killed Him (let alone cursed Him), ''forgive them Father for they know NOT what they do''.
Why it is an unpardonable sin to curse the Holy Spirit is because the Holy Spirit comes to reveal Jesus to us!!!!! not Himself!!!! So in fact we are cursing / rejecting Jesus. Pulling the middle finger to the Holy Spirit who is so desperately trying to reach us (not force us to serve but draw us to want to serve). God makes the decision when enough is enough and either hands us over to a reprobate mind...or sends us to the after-life. Hence we do not truly know when we have ''fully'' cursed the Holy Spirit, but can safely assume that if we are hardening our hearts and insulting evangelists that we are en-route.

In a nutshell, my reply to them would be that we are all alive by God's mercy (God has hope for ALL living). If we truly committed the unpardonable sin....His mercy would surely end...and we be dead??!!

And what is your response to what this man wrote?
"For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13 What if that athesist you've taken exception with had quoted Paul's way of being declared righteous to you? Would you contest that Paul is wrong and you are right or fold your cards and go home?

Proselytizer: No, that's not possible. Why according to John 3:16, all you have to do is believe that Jesus died for your sins and you will gain eternal life.
wrong!
you need to confess your sins by repenting and then believe Jesus is Lord (Romans 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.)

Me: Well, I know that - but you see a few years back I realised something. I was having a conversation about the bible a few years back, and I realised that according to Christian tradition it is the Holy spirit that both convicts us of our sins (John 15:8) and moves through us to minister to non-believers. After all it was the pouring out of the holy spirit over the apostles that led to the success of their ministry - you see Jesus saying that in Acts 1:5-8, also in Luke 1:15, you see John the Baptist possessing the Holy Spirit and because of that, many come to God.
Yes very true, but if no one told anybody about Jesus how would the Holy Spirit led them into the truth!?
Romans 1:19-20 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
Proving that everything about God's work is very visible to people= evangelist, church, Christian programs, religion, news etc For a person to deny all that or not even interested to even QUESTION what all these things are about, is basically condemning himself.
Also provide Romans 10:14-21 :) How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!...

Me: Yea, so the point is that the Holy Spirit has some capability to bring about conversion, to give people the power to save. But at the same time he can convict us? How is that fair? He is capable of saving us, but then he condemns us once he fails to do so? Anyway, I couldn't get around that thought and yes, I think it is an immoral vile thing for an all powerful and omniscient being to do.
Holy Spirit is not even visible, hear-able. It is a spirit that gives us life and guides us to the right path and right way of living. Therefore Holy Spirit cannot convict anyone

Proselytizer: Well, maybe if you came to our church and we could have a talk with Pastor Brighton, we could sort all this out. I think you'll find that there are other ways to think about this.
a wrong move by evangelist. Never consult people to pastor or church. It shows you don't really know much of what you are talking about.

Me: But that's not the point, it doesn't matter. Let me see that bible for a second... Ok, here it is. Matthew 12:31 "Wherefore I say unto you, all manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men." See, it's too late for me. These words were unequivocally said by Jesus himself: I am unforgivable. So really, I do appreciate your time and concern - but there is just nothing to be done...
1 Corinthians 2:14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.
how can one who doesn't know who Jesus/Holy Spirit is and blaspheme him be judged forever?
1 Corinthians 12:3 Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,”and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.
straight forward! How can one with Holy Spirit dwelling within curse Jesus or Holy spirit? you can't because your know you will be in deep crap
That is why if one who is in Holy Spirit does blaspheme against Jesus/Holy Spirit he will NEVER be forgiven!

but people without knowing Jesus nor having Holy Spirit can blaspheme him but can still be forgiven!
Jesus came to save the lost not CONDEMN!

And what is your response to what this man wrote?
"For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13 What if that athesist you've taken exception with had quoted Paul's way of being declared righteous to you? Would you contest that Paul is wrong and you are right or fold your cards and go home?

:) My 2 year old baby knows the answer to this....Paul and Jesus ''also'' say we cannot obey the law by the flesh in our strength...but must be born again and put the flesh to death by the spirit.

Back