I don't think I knew this

I don't think I knew this

I don't remember ever hearing that Mary and Joseph's lineages both traced back to David.
I love learning new things.

Yes, but we also have to take into consideration that Joseph was Christ's adoptive father and had no part in the seed line that Christ came through umbilical cord to umbilical cord. Luke 3:23-38 (KJV) gives us the seed line of Christ back through Nathan, King David's other son. In Matthew 1:1-16, we see that there is a common generational link between Joseph and Mary because Joseph came through the seed line of Solomon, Nathan's brother.

We must also study a bit more about Mary's Father AND Mother. In Luke 3:23, the translation is "As Was Supposed" - which in our modern language means, 'son-in-law'. Joseph was the son-in-law of Heli. Heli was Mary's father.

Remember Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist? Well, Elizabeth was Mary's cousin - Luke 1:36 (KJV) - on Mary's mother's side. Elizabeth and her family were Levites of the Priest line, while Mary's seed line was back through David as well as the Levitical lines. So, Christ was well pedigreed on that side of the family. God was the King of all men and Mary's family was of both the King line and the Priest line, making Christ once and for all time, the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.

da mans quote.he never heard this,but loves learning new things.does this mean he never heard it so makes it up?

da mans quote.he never heard this,but loves learning new things.does this mean he never heard it so makes it up?
No I didn't make it up. It was actually part of our study this morning in my bible study group.
I lot of times when I LEARN new things I try not use my own imagination to make them up.

(Matthew 1:13-15) and the name of Mary's father (Joseph son of Heli, probably Joseph ben Elim, a Sepphoris priest) placed with the oral list that includes her husband's ancestors (Luke 3:29-30). Much of the confusion in these most recent genealogical segments is the result of the fact that Mary's husband and her father were both named Joseph, which was the second most popular male Jewish name in Second Temple times. Naming patterns derived from studies of Second Temple names and use of ancient sources help to recreate the family of Joseph, Mary's husband.

I love the Word- study is great when you have a passion for something. The more people you talk to the more you wind up digging into your faith as they all pose so many different questions.

Back