I Need Some Perspectives on this Musical Article

I Need Some Perspectives on this Musical Article

A good friend of mine from Canada is in this local rock band called Incura and he talks about the local music scenes. I'd like to get some thoughts from you awesome folks about this.

The Runner recently spoke to Kyle Gruninger of Incura, and asked him about relocating to Vancouver and the state of local, Vancouver, music.

"The move to Vancouver came about due to the extremely small size of the town we were in. When in Canada, if a band is looking to get more exposure, you move to a city that has a history of great music and music business. Being from Alberta, Vancovuer was the closest city with those credentials. Moving out to T.O was just a bit far and over whelming for five boys from Lethbridge" Gruninger said.

On his favourite place to perform in Vancouver, Gruninger said, "The Commodore Ballroom. We played there three times last year, and each time was better then the last. It’s the perfect live venue." He went on to say, "but, word up to the Bourbon in Gas Town for keeping live music going hard every night and being a very supportive indie live music venue."

When asked about the state of the Vancouver music scene, Gruninger said, "Oh, the Vancouver 'scene.' The word is thrown around like there is a group of one thousand kids just waiting to attend shows. This however is not the case. I don't really know how Vancouver's scene has changed over the years. But, I can tell you my thoughts of the situation. In every city, it is the bands have to create the scene. Bands, venues, promoters--they all blame the fans and the people for not coming to shows or not being supportive enough. I say, ‘that's ridiculous.’ A person is rarely going to walk into a random night club on a Friday just because they 'want to support the scene.'"

Gruninger went on to say, "Music gives people a reason to go out and be a part of something. Maybe it's not the fans not being supportive, but the music not being good enough to support."

He qualified his strong response, "I know it sounds harsh, but I will say that I have almost never walked into a random club and found that amazing underground band that I could fall in love with. What I do find, is another band trying to find their place in a sea of mind-numbing, 'lets all sound the same and sell records’ ridiculousness. Let’s face it, why am I paying $15 to see a band that I don’t like...just to support music? …In reality, we're not going to put money into a product we're not happy with."

Gruninger's suggestion: "Create a reason to get people out to shows. The bands that are ground-breakingly different, have a live show like no other; have music that has such feeling and musicality you can’t take your eyes away from the stage. These are the shows people are supporting. I personally went to two shows this month that were packed. Why? Because everyone is sick of paying all this money to see things they have seen before... you don't buy cookies you won't eat, so why buy music you won’t listen to? To support just to support is not the answer. The scene dead? Not at all.... People just need to find a reason again to be excited about the acts that they are paying to see.”

The rest of the article he just talks about his favourite bands and such. Anyways, my thoughts...

I have to agree with my friend that bands and artists who write great music and have unique and exciting performances will have a better chance to make it. At the same time there's a little part of me that wants me to disagree too...I personally think musicians have every right to express their art in any way they desire, regardless if people like it or not. To each their own as they always say.

Sometimes it IS the promoter's fault that turnouts for shows aren't that great...because they're not doing their jobs, which is to promote.

I myself personally do the best I can to be very encouraging to new upcoming talent. Every artist deserves a chance. Encouragement from people is what keeps people going. A friend of mine always say, "Support Music and it will support you".

hm, hard to tell,

dunno if there's anyone to blame . music is music when it strikes a chord in a person's heart .

either it is or it isn't .

The view that your friend has about his music is that it is a product. To make a product marketable it has to be sellable. Like you said people are not going to buy it unless others want it. Creating a market is key.

Back