I prayed today for the first time in a long time

I want to be a better person... I suppose we all do. I came here looking for inspiration and guidance this morning because lately things have been difficult and I can feel myself slipping, but I didn't know where to start... But something today compelled me to pray. I don't pray habitually, and I haven't prayed in any real way in a very long time. Nonetheless, I do feel better afterwards. I can't say 100% whether God is listening or has helped me, but I feel better, hopeful even. Is the light I feel inside God?

I want to be a better person... I suppose we all do. I came here looking for inspiration and guidance this morning because lately things have been difficult and I can feel myself slipping, but I didn't know where to start... But something today compelled me to pray. I don't pray habitually, and I haven't prayed in any real way in a very long time. Nonetheless, I do feel better afterwards. I can't say 100% whether God is listening or has helped me, but I feel better, hopeful even. Is the light I feel inside God?
Hi NTT, I remember the very first time I prayed in my life was when I was 25 yrs. old. I simply prayed the Lord's Prayer reading it out of a Bible but meaning it as I read it. (not by rote). I noticed that was the first time in about 7 years I truly had peace and things actually fell into place that day (instead of falling into further chaos). I would encourage you to continue in prayer and His Word...

Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
(Heb 4:14-16)

Thank you for sharing this with us. I will also be praying for you.
God always hears us, even if we think He doesn't. It does matter to Him when we think of Him and talk to Him, thank Him, ask His advice & guidance, etc. He loves us and wants us to know! That's pretty amazing.
(But also be aware that the enemy does not like it when we turn to God. So, many times we find ourselves being challenged and tested, in order to discourage us... it's a trap - don't fall for that trick. If you find yourself being tested/doubting/discouraged... pray even more!)

Is the light I feel inside God?

[Jhn 14:27 KJV]
27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

You have just had a beautiful meeting with God. He listened and answered you. You felt better and hopeful- that was from God. The more you talk to The Falther the closer you will get to Him. You will receive more light and peace.
I must remember that myself.
God Bless.

Thank your all for your words of encouragement. I can feel the weight of everything right now... My work, my relationship and just a lot of stress in general... It's a moment where I'm slipping and I'm feeling weak. I'm here to refocus and to pray for strength because I know it will help, but it does make me wonder if I'm not strong enough on my own. I feel like I should be... Not that I don't want God's help, but I just wish I didn't need it... But then I suppose I wouldn't be turning to him for strength. I need to thank Him more than I do.

Thank your all for your words of encouragement. I can feel the weight of everything right now... My work, my relationship and just a lot of stress in general... It's a moment where I'm slipping and I'm feeling weak. I'm here to refocus and to pray for strength because I know it will help, but it does make me wonder if I'm not strong enough on my own. I feel like I should be... Not that I don't want God's help, but I just wish I didn't need it... But then I suppose I wouldn't be turning to him for strength. I need to thank Him more than I do.

Hello New_to_town;

Thank you for opening up. Many people on all four corners of the Earth are crying and suffering, right now, to whom they don't know.

But the world wide public is reading your honesty while you are praying to God. This will encourage them.

Prayer is also sacrifice. Many times I don't feel like praying or I don't know what to say to God and He already knows it because He knows me better than I know myself!

But taking the time to let go of myself and pray to Him, honestly from my heart, is the sacrifice that He will see.

God bless you, New_to_town, and keep opening up, brother.

We benefit by praying and taking in the Word at other times when we don't particularly feel in need. A pastor friend once said 'there are no blowouts in Christian life, just slow leaks. The leaking tire may work the night before and get us home, but the next morning is too flat to use."

Make a sheet of requests and leave space for later answers. This can be astonishing, and also can show us how God does work on his own calendar.

Read the NT by plan. Start with one chapter of John each day. That's the last of the 4 'live stories' of Christ start to finish. It has a direct, simple style and you get what you need to know about some Jewish customs at the time.

Keep these two things together and have someone keep you current, even if you only write one request.

Back