Idolatry In The Name Of Culture

Anything can be an idol. If you have long hair, and it becomes to important to you, you got to cut it. Anything can become an idol.

Absolutely.

idol
noun
an image or other material object representing a deity to which religious worship is addressed.
2.Bible.
a.an image of a deity other than God.
b.the deity itself.
3.any person or thing regarded with blind admiration, adoration, or devotion: Madame Curie had been her childhood idol.
4.a mere image or semblance of something, visible but without substance, as a phantom.
5.a figment of the mind; fantasy.

I knew a woman who idolized the actor Mickey Rourke. She suffered obsessive compulsive disorder and he happened to get caught up in her issues. :( Terribly sad. Then when she moved on from him after many years, she found another actor to worship.

Anything can become an idol. Even one's own self and sense of accomplishment. Self-absorbed personalities, conceited persons, are displaying a type of auto-theism, or self-worship, seeing self as like unto god.

I knew someone like that as well. Turns out his mother, because she had divorced his biological father, flitted around seeking the richest men as husbands so as to support her and her only son, ended up marrying a multibillionaire. And that new step dad got her son into the oil business. As in drilling for crude. He was egocentric before, but now...
smileyvault-slaphead.gif
Unbelievable!

Question: When is an object a statue or carved piece of art and when it is an idol?
If you bow down and pray to it, THEN it become an idol. And I should also point out that Catholics, when praying before a statue, are not praying TO the statue but to what the statue represents.

It's all a bit silly really. I think a person knows when they are praying to an idol, and in this day and age it is approximately NEVER.

Question: When is an object a statue or carved piece of art and when it is an idol?
If you bow down and pray to it, THEN it become an idol. And I should also point out that Catholics, when praying before a statue, are not praying TO the statue but to what the statue represents.

It's all a bit silly really. I think a person knows when they are praying to an idol, and in this day and age it is approximately NEVER.

Jesus gave us anexample on how to pray... Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.... you have read this, yes? Tell me where does the bible give instruction to pray to anyone besides The Father.

Jesus gave us anexample on how to pray... Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.... you have read this, yes? Tell me where does the bible give instruction to pray to anyone besides The Father.
Nowhere. What is your point? No one is PRAYING to anyone besides The Father. Or are you insisting we are?

Nowhere. What is your point? No one is PRAYING to anyone besides The Father. Or are you insisting we are?

I did not insisit anything. I simply asked where. But I dont see how someone can deny they dont pray when I have heard many times holy mother mary, and saint so and so. That is prayer. You can say that elephants are pink and purple, but it dont make it so.

I did not insisit anything. I simply asked where. But I dont see how someone can deny they dont pray when I have heard many times holy mother mary, and saint so and so. That is prayer. You can say that elephants are pink and purple, but it dont make it so.
That's intercessory prayer. It's asking the saints to pray for you. No harm in it.

Last edited:
Back