Importance of Prayer

Importance of Prayer

Getting a job is useful. it's important. It's necessary. It's good. Same with passing college classes. Another example (a little different): getting married is good, and we really want it. Companionship is really sought after, it's helpful, it's just a good thing.

So...

I've been trying to compile a list of reasons why it's, say, useful, helpful, beneficial, important, necessary, needed, etc. to pray (amongst other things). I do youth and college ministry, and when we make to much of spiritual disciplines, people think we're being pharisees- and maybe we are, but I'm trying to stop, which is why I'm asking for advice here. Anyway...Here's some things I came up with.

- Trains you to think only about what's most important in life.
- Trains you to focus your love on God alone.
- Gets your mind of less important things
- Trains your mind to think nonsinfully/unsinful.
- Helps you formulate clear and concise thoughts of God and for God.
- Prayer should act as a filter- what are things you pray about most often with the most resolve in all seriousness without any breach of conscience: those are probably the most important things in life.

But even these answers probably seem to "churchy", to much like Sunday School answers, for youth and college kids. And I'm missing the relationship aspect- i don't really know how to say it apart from the whole marriage analogy. And of course, if you're of my persuasion and think prayer really does change things, then you've got a REAL conundrum, because then you've got the whole "so many prayers [seem to] go unanswered".

What I want is for people to not just see prayer as a good thing, or as a necessary means- I want them to see it as actually important enough that they can't go a day without doing it, like eating. Or a moment without doing it, like breathing. College kids wouldn't miss a test, or an important job interview, or call off a date at the last minute with a "very important someone". It's even harder to make parallels for youth, because to them, so many things are just not important, not necessary.

To make a long story short, how can I show prayer to be (for lack of a better phrase) of infinite importance? Maybe some of you guys could help me word my thoughts better as well.

Prayer is important because it is communion with God. It's like picking up the telephone to call a friend. It is how we talk to him, worship him, spend time with him, etc.

Making requests of God, or expecting prayers to be answered, is one of the least of things we should focus on in our prayer. God does not answer prayers for a number of reasons. One reason being that what we want is not always what is best for us, and we are unable to see the big picture. Another reason God may not answer our prayers is because of the nature of our prayers. God has promised to meet all of our needs, but so many times what we are asking for are our wants, and often how people ask for these wants is more like a demand. Who are we to place demands on God? We should come to God humbly as asking for a gift.

I think your list is a good start. Prayer can help us to focus our mind, concentrate on God, consider what is important, etc.

I disagree with your first statement that having a job, passing classes, and getting married are all necessary. :) I believe these to be wants, not needs, and sometimes they are not what God has in store for us. His plan for us may not include any of those things.

Importance of Prayer.

2Th 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

1Th 4:11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;

Rom 12:11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;

Pro 18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD.

BarelyBreathing:
. Another reason God may not answer our prayers is because of the nature of our prayers. God has promised to meet all of our needs, but so many times what we are asking for are our wants
Psa 21:2 Thou hast given him his heart's desire, and hast not withholden the request of his lips. Selah.
Psa 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Psa 37:5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

Joh 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
Joh 14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

What Scripture tells us not to ask for the things we Want?

What scripture tells us that moving forward, finding a Job, getting education to be wise in this Worlds system and getting married are not important?

BarelyBreathing:
God does not answer prayers for a number of reasons. One reason being that what we want is not always what is best for us, and we are unable to see the big picture
What scripture tells us that God does not answer prayer? He said pray anything according to his Will, and He will hear us, and if He hears us, we will have the petitions desired of Him. God never designed prayer to be broke, and He never designed prayer to be a NO. You need scripture, to believe like this, and there are no scriptures that support your theory.

BarelyBreathing:
Making requests of God, or expecting prayers to be answered, is one of the least of things we should focus on in our prayer.
Mar 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
Expecting prayers to be answered is one of the least things we should focus on??????

We were commanded by the Head of the Church, Our Lord Jesus to believe that we receive, those things we desire!!! We should not be given advice to disobey the Word of God. It would do us best to just believe what Jesus said, and not make other stuff up.

BarelyBreathing:
I would focus on what the Word actually says, and believe it. I would stay away from traditions of Men. There is great victory in walking by faith, and stepping out on the Word, being fully convinced that What God has said to us, He is more than willing and able to confirm his Word to those that believe. It is thinking like yours BarelyBreathing that will allow the devil to rob you, and keep you defeated. I don't like to see that, but that you have victory in everything that comes your way. Jesus is Lord and on the throne, ready to perform those things that are written. Jesus bought and paid for your victory!!! Nothing is impossible for you, just believe that God is Good, and stay away from the traditions of Men, getting victory.

Be blessed!!!

You have taken my post out of context, and even missed what I have said.

WordOFaith said:
2Th 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

1Th 4:11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;

Rom 12:11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;

Pro 18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD.

No one said that man should not work. I said that having a job is not necessary. Not having a job is not the same as being slothful or refusing to work. Plenty of people work, and do the Lord's work, yet do not have a job.

Isolated scriptures out of context can mean very little as well.
1 Corinthians 7:8 "Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am."

I stand by what I said, it is not necessary to be married. It is a want, not a need. Even your verse quoted never presents it is a need.

WordOFaith said:
Psa 21:2 Thou hast given him his heart's desire, and hast not withholden the request of his lips. Selah.
Psa 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Psa 37:5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

Joh 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
Joh 14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

What Scripture tells us not to ask for the things we Want?

I never said that scripture does not tell us to ask for the things we want. I said that we should come humbly as requesting a gift and not demand things of God. Perhaps you should re-read my post.

WordOFaith said:
What scripture tells us that moving forward, finding a Job, getting education to be wise in this Worlds system and getting married are not important?

Scripture is important. Twisting people's words and misrepresenting scripture is wrong.

WordOFaith said:
BarelyBreathing:
What scripture tells us that God does not answer prayer? He said pray anything according to his Will, and He will hear us, and if He hears us, we will have the petitions desired of Him. God never designed prayer to be broke, and He never designed prayer to be a NO. You need scripture, to believe like this, and there are no scriptures that support your theory.
Again, no one ever said that God doe snot answer prayer. You have once again put words in my mouth and twisted what I have said.

God does tell us "no" if what we want is not in his will for us to have. Sometimes he tells us "wait". I don't believe that saying God never says "no" is scriptural. Where, in your isolated, out of context verses does it say that God never says "no"?

WordOFaith said:
BarelyBreathing:
Mar 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
Expecting prayers to be answered is one of the least things we should focus on??????

Our focus in prayer should not be on what we can get. God is not a Santa Clause in the sky. He is not a magic Genie waiting for us to rub the lamp and make demands. My relationship with God is not one sided revolving around making demands and expecting him to grant my every wish.

WordOFaith said:
We were commanded by the Head of the Church, Our Lord Jesus to believe that we receive, those things we desire!!! We should not be given advice to disobey the Word of God. It would do us best to just believe what Jesus said, and not make other stuff up.

I agree that people shouldn't make stuff up. ;)

WordOFaith said:
BarelyBreathing:
I would focus on what the Word actually says, and believe it. I would stay away from traditions of Men. There is great victory in walking by faith, and stepping out on the Word, being fully convinced that What God has said to us, He is more than willing and able to confirm his Word to those that believe. It is thinking like yours BarelyBreathing that will allow the devil to rob you, and keep you defeated. I don't like to see that, but that you have victory in everything that comes your way. Jesus is Lord and on the throne, ready to perform those things that are written. Jesus bought and paid for your victory!!! Nothing is impossible for you, just believe that God is Good, and stay away from the traditions of Men, getting victory.

Be blessed!!!

Thank you, I do focus on what the word says and not on traditions of men. I do walk by faith, and have been blessed greatly by God throughout my life.

Our relationship with God is a lot like marriage... In order to keep a marriage healthy there needs to be healthy communication. Now if I don't talk to my wife about things that affect our lives together she gets annoyed (this is bad :D ) and stops talking to me (this is real bad :D )

Now it's much the same when we talk to God. If we don't talk to Him about:
problems, how does He solve them?
our needs, how does He supply them?
our pains, how does He heal them?
how great He is, how does He show us how much more He can do?

Now God already knows all these things without hearing from us, but by us talking to Him about it we allow Him into the situation - we now trust Him in these matters...

It's like if my 9 year-old son was standing at a shop window looking at a skateboard - I see him admiring it, I know he yearns to own it, I know he can't acquire it on his own as he doesn't have the means... Now until he talks to me about me possibly purchasing it for him, all that will happen is he will continue to stare at that board through the window...

I think bedtime prayers are the sweetest . . .

littleboya.jpg

Back