Impossible! I'm Of The Body Of Christ.

If Satan cannot touch the body of Christ, then why did Paul instruct us to put on the armor of God, to resist the devil, to stand firm, and to be alert? If we are not susceptible to being wounded or trapped by Satan, why does Paul describe our relationship to the powers of darkness as a wrestling match? Those who deny the enemy’s potential for destruction are the most vulnerable to it. Even though our eternal destiny is secure and the armor of God is readily available, we are still vulnerable to Satan’s accusations and temptations. If we give into these, we can be influenced by Satan, and if we remain under his influence long enough, we can lose control, if we fail to stand against him. Ownership is never at stake, Satan cannot touch our new identity, but as long as we are living in this fleshly body, we can allow ourselves to be vulnerable targets to all Satan’s fiery darts. How do you think Satan carries on his worldwide ministry of evil and deception? He is a created being; he is not omnipresent, omniscient, or omnipotent. He cannot be everywhere in the world tempting and deceiving millions of people at the same moment. He does so through an army of emissaries “fallen angels called evil spirits” who propagate his plan of rebellion around the world. The Bible does not attempt to prove the existence of evil spirits any more than it attempts to prove the existence of God, it simply reports on their activities.

God’s Reconciliation of Man, read more about it at http://godsreconciliation.blogspot.com/

This is the message that Calvanist reject or act like they don't see. I am torn because this is what I grew up believing and honestly feel as if this is the truth.

I'm not tracking what it is about Calvinism that rejects this. Can you help?

No so much "rejects" I think I mis-spoke. When I speak with Calvinist they never tend to mention Satan or Evil Spirits, it always the "pre selection" so I am not 100% on their standing on Satan.

In my honest opinion what the OP posted goes againts what Calvinist believe in the sense that God's pre Selection can be altered AKA there are two forces at work that can change your pre selection based on the free will you are granted

No so much "rejects" I think I mis-spoke. When I speak with Calvinist they never tend to mention Satan or Evil Spirits, it always the "pre selection" so I am not 100% on their standing on Satan.

In my honest opinion what the OP posted goes againts what Calvinist believe in the sense that God's pre Selection can be altered AKA there are two forces at work that can change your pre selection based on the free will you are granted

I wouldn't dare speak for all Calvinists. With that said, Reformed Theology does not contend that just because the believer is predestined that he is immune to the temptation of sin and the whispers of demons. I would submit that a believer could not be possessed by a demon (if that is what is meant by "touching the body of "Christ"), but I don't think that view is uniquely Calvinist either.

I am sure it is wide spread, Calvinist is just the only group I have beeen directly associated with.

And a Believer not being able to be possessed by a demon is where the whole Calvanist "no such thing as backsliding" comes from. If you are filled with the spirit, you cannot be filled with evil. This is where I do not agree with them and the majority of scriptures that I see can really be understood in two different ways depending on which side is telling it to you.

I know of nothing in Reformed Theology that claims a believer cannot backslide. Of course, believers can backslide. But a believer, one who is embodied by the Holy Spirit, cannot also be simultaneously embodied by a demon. Are we saying the same thing? Or are you saying you don't believe this?

My theology is mostly aligned with Reformed Theology. Some might call that Calvinism. And I struggle with sin (aka "backslide") all the time. :)

The Calvinism to which you've been exposed seems a lot different than the one I know.

The fundamental beliefs of Calvinism from what I understand is God has pre selection and there is no such thing as backsliding. Again I am no expert on these things.

What 'predestination' really means: God selected mankind in the beginning to have the attributes of Christ and to inherit the Kingdom as children-it is a generality of human nature. But then people throw in a few verses that use the word 'elect' out of context. Once you accept Christ as your savior-you become 'the elect'-part of the 'body of Christ'. (but you must accept the gift first)

The argument I usually see coming up to defend 'predestination' is that folks use the argument 'not everybody's going to heaven'; 'many called, few chosen' The problem is-predestination in this form leads to 'elitism' which Christ fought against the Jews about. So would Christ make himself a hypocrite and create an 'elite race'? God forbid! We would lose all humility-another cause of Christ.

We are to be a 'special treasure' and a 'peculiar people' BUT we chose to do so. Else 'freewill' and the Garden of Eden were all pointless...

Remember that whole story about God cleaning house in Genesis 7?

Brother Mike this is the argument I always try to bring up but I didn't quite have the right words to say. "elitism" is the perfect word haha. Honestly that church I went to for a brief time, not to bash anyone but they came off very arrogant and condescending.

The fundamental beliefs of Calvinism from what I understand is God has pre selection and there is no such thing as backsliding. Again I am no expert on these things.

It is true that Calvinism does hold to God predestinating some unto salvation (2 Thess. 2:13) and only those will be willing to believe (Acts 13:48). But Calvinists also believe that it is possible to backslide into sin, but not to the point of losing your salvation.

Totally agree.
Wish you would have joined Stan and I about this very concept on the closed threads...oh well.

Yet, Peter used the same word to describe God's plan of the cross that overcame both the plans of Herod and Pilate (Acts 4:28). Paul tells us, using the same word, that all those whom He predestinated will be called and all those called He also justified. So if predestination involved all of humanity, it must be that all of humanity is justified, and I don't you mean that (Ro. 8:30). I conclude that predestination involves the saved. Paul further clarified this idea when he said that God's predestination has, as it's end, that we should be the first to hope in Christ to the praise of his glory (Eph. 1:11-12). If that involved all of humanity, it would be a difficult argument to say that all of humanity is the first to hope in Christ to the praise of his glory.

My theology is mostly aligned with Reformed Theology. Some might call that Calvinism. And I struggle with sin (aka "backslide") all the time. :)

The Calvinism to which you've been exposed seems a lot different than the one I know.

I concur. I hold to the five points of Calvinism, I struggle with sin, and I think you hold to a Calvinism that I don't hold to.

Back