Insatiable Quest for Power Over One's Surroundings

The popularity of movies where so-called "super heroes" and "tyrants" alike, all with power over others and their surrounding environments through mystical manipulations upon their surroundings and even the bodies of others, they all continue to bring in money like nothing else on the markets. Some have made more than others, depending the storyline's appeal. The fascination with power seems to indicate an insatiable appetite among moviegoers who are themselves plagued with an insatiable desire to improve their lives by way of control over their environment and others around them.

I like what Michael Laitman said when he stated, "A leader must have an inherent feeling of unworthiness. Unless a leader feels that other people know better, are more capable, or have more experience and wisdom, nothing will stop him or her from becoming a tyrant. However, humility and a certain sense of inferiority curb the ego and allow the leader to remain attentive, appreciative, and, above all, caring." (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/mans-insatiable-hunger-power-michael-laitman/)

This is a beginning to the understanding how the Lord, having infinite Power, has still given to man the freedom of free moral agency, which is not at all the earmark of a tyrant. The Greek gods, being creations in the minds of fallen men, were definitely prone to tyranny in their fallen state as figment creations in the minds of sinful men.

Man, however, in his fallen state, cannot be trusted with power. Even Satan, the top angel in all God's creation, was tempted within himself, and gave himself over to the allurements of power and glory for himself, wanting worship attributable only unto the Lord Most High.

Kids too act out that deep-seated desire for power over others. I know I did, especially when confronted by school bullies. The things that came to mind to do to them was uncanny at times, fueled by the violence so much a part of movies and television.

Thoughts?

MM

Yes, too many of us go through life with Walter Mitty-esque daydreams.

Very few aspire to be the most loyal worker in the background that enables the true light light to shine.

Good morning, Musicmaster;

The popularity of movies where so-called "super heroes" and "tyrants" alike, all with power over others and their surrounding environments is what it is, a movie of entertainment. But,

As Christ lives in us it is true that He reveals things in the light about our surroundings, much of it spiritual darkness. The popularity of superhero movies gives me a prudish perspective. The movie gives the individual the power and can take on everything and anything without assistance. They don't need God because they can fight and win any battle.

In real life when we get caught up with the enemies of the world we may imagine we're taking on that enemy on our own without the help of our Savior. We must be careful.

When I was younger I enjoyed Superman, Batman, the Fantastic Four, later the Exorcist, Omen, Friday the 13th, these were the devil forces who could destroy us without God protecting us.

Today we prefer to watch reenactment true story movies of that nature. The movies are too expensive to attend regularly so my wife and I will enjoy a matinee with a box of popcorn, maybe once a month.

I read where you're going with this, MM, and it's something we have to take time to think about, especially when it comes to raising and influencing our kids.

God bless you, MM.

Good morning, Musicmaster;

The popularity of movies where so-called "super heroes" and "tyrants" alike, all with power over others and their surrounding environments is what it is, a movie of entertainment. But,

As Christ lives in us it is true that He reveals things in the light about our surroundings, much of it spiritual darkness. The popularity of superhero movies gives me a prudish perspective. The movie gives the individual the power and can take on everything and anything without assistance. They don't need God because they can fight and win any battle.

In real life when we get caught up with the enemies of the world we may imagine we're taking on that enemy on our own without the help of our Savior. We must be careful.

When I was younger I enjoyed Superman, Batman, the Fantastic Four, later the Exorcist, Omen, Friday the 13th, these were the devil forces who could destroy us without God protecting us.

Today we prefer to watch reenactment true story movies of that nature. The movies are too expensive to attend regularly so my wife and I will enjoy a matinee with a box of popcorn, maybe once a month.

I read where you're going with this, MM, and it's something we have to take time to think about, especially when it comes to raising and influencing our kids.

God bless you, MM.

That too is an interesting and relevant perspective, Bob. Thanks for sharing that.

Blessings to you and yours.

MM

The fascination with power seems to indicate an insatiable appetite among moviegoers who are themselves plagued with an insatiable desire to improve their lives by way of control over their environment and others around them.
My hunch is that the power and control issue can be traced to the source of our fallen nature.

For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
— Genesis 3:5

Back