Introducing Myself (extremely long, sorry)

Introducing Myself (extremely long, sorry)

First off I'd like to mention that the site has a very nice layout. It's very clean and welcoming.

Ok, hi, I'm Aaron, I'm from North Alabama. I was pretty much raised in a Christian home and attended a Church Of Christ with my mom (my father passed when I was 6) until I was 16. At that time I strayed away severely. I was very rebellious in my teenage years against the church. I'm a very energetic person who doesn't take hearsay as a means to an end. It seemed like that's all the church was. People believing and their only answer to why was, "because". I've always been overly analytical, and for some reason I've always needed more than, "because" to base my entire life on. I saw too many problems with religion (not necessarily belief in God) that I won't get into at the moment because of their irrelevance to my introduction. I never really went back to the church or thought about it until recently. I've had byfar the worst month of my life. My mom keeps telling me I need God back in my life, that it was all just a test. I've never been the kind of person to sit around and wait on a sign, even after constant prayer for one. I'm 20 years old now, and if God is testing, I want to meet him atleast half way and try to figure out a means to an end. That being said I decided it was time to pick up my bible after 4 years and see what I might be missing. I need to talk to someone who can answer some questions for me. I can never just read and percieve as I'm told to percieve. I've started in Genesis, and before chapter 2 I've already generated some fairly good questions (to me anyway). Like I said, I'm a very analytical person, so I can't go any further until I understand what I don't understand right now. I can't just push through with there being a gap. I'm stuck here, and I need someone to talk to. My questions have gotten me banned from a forum already. I'm asking that you take the questions not as a threat, but instead try to take them as a teacher would, as Jesus would. I'm not asking why God did this or why God did that, or why Jesus said this or that. Most of my questions I'm hung up on are simple language barriers between Hebrew and English, and things I've found in the New Testament that just don't add up right. I'm no more than a human being on the same path that you're all on just trying to make sense of it. I'll ask one of the simpler ones here, and then if I need to I'll ask the other one's on another topic in a different part of the forum, because I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. This one may sound pointless to some of you, but it means alot to me, because if the difference between Hebrew and English can be so great on something so small, what can that mean for other parts of the Bible? When I was baptized, I was given a Bible by the church. It's an NIV, Zondervan, Grand Rapids Mi. Nothing fancy, just a bonded leather NIV Bible. It has footnotes in it for some of the words here. Apparently some of the words in the scripture don't mean what the Hebrew actually said. I'm not sure why they didn't just print it like that, but they didn't. Instead, they used footnotes. My first question will be an example of what I'm talking about. In Genesis 1:2 the scripture says, "Now the earth was formless and empty...". The footnote marker is beside the word was. At the bottom it says, "or possibly became". That might not sound like much to you, but either the earth was formless and void, or it became formless and void, it can't really do both. My question is actually a two-part question. Did the earth become formless and void or was it already formless and void, and if this is the first day of creation, where did the earth come from to become, or be formless and void? That's a simple question, and it doesn't change the course of history or threaten any beliefs, I just want to understand where the earth came from, because it doesn't say God created it, instead it implies it was already there, and God began by creating light. The rest of my questions are a little bit more complex, but all are equally important to me. Your time, and respect for my thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Aaron

First, I just want to say Hello and Welcome.
I think questions are good; how else can we learn?
I understand because I like to understand the why's,where's and how's also.
I don't question God, I just like a deep and clear understanding.

Ok, The KJV~ it says God created the earth and it was without form and void.
To me that would mean no mountains, valleys, rivers, oceans, light, etc...
It was empty, formless and dark at first.

I love these quick responses :)

That makes alot more sense when it's said that way. Why didn't the NIV say the same thing? What kind of sense does it make to alter the Bible so much it says something that can be taken completely different? It just went from the earth becoming formless to God created the earth and it was without form... -shakes head- I'm going to need 15 bibles...I can see it now.

Nah, just the KJV, in my opinion.
If I could read the original language, I'd choose that first!
Many other Bibles have left out words, scriptures and changed the meaning altogether.
The KJV may seem harder to read but it's all there.

(ACV) And the earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
(ASV) And the earth was waste and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep: and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
(BBE) And the earth was waste and without form; and it was dark on the face of the deep: and the Spirit of God was moving on the face of the waters.
(Bishops) And the earth was without fourme, and was voyde: & darknes [was] vpon the face of the deepe, and the spirite of God moued vpon the face of the waters.
(CEV) The earth was barren, with no form of life; it was under a roaring ocean covered with darkness. But the Spirit of God was moving over the water.
(Complete Apostles' Bible) But the earth was unsightly and unfurnished, and darkness was over the deep, and the Spirit of God moved over the water.
(Darby) And the earth was waste and empty, and darkness was on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
(DRB) And the earth was void and empty, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God moved over the waters.
(ESV) The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
(Geneva) And the earth was without forme and voide, and darkenesse was vpon the deepe, and the Spirit of God moued vpon ye waters.
(GNB) the earth was formless and desolate. The raging ocean that covered everything was engulfed in total darkness, and the Spirit of God was moving over the water.
(GW) The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep water. The Spirit of God was hovering over the water.
(HOT) והארץ היתה תהו ובהו וחשׁך על־פני תהום ורוח אלהים מרחפת על־פני המים׃

(HOT+)​
והארץ776 היתה1961 תהו8414 ובהו922 וחשׁך2822 על5921 פני6440 תהום8415 ורוח7307 אלהים430 מרחפת7363 על5921 פני6440 המים׃4325

(JPS) Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters.
(KJ2000) And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
(KJV+TVM) And the earth776 was1961 [8804] without form8414, and void922; and darkness2822 was upon the face6440 of the deep8415. And the Spirit7307 of God430 moved7363 [8764] upon5921 the face6440 of the waters4325.
(KJV+) And the earth776 was1961 without form,8414 and void;922 and darkness2822 was upon5921 the face6440 of the deep.8415 And the Spirit7307 of God430 moved7363 upon5921 the face6440 of the waters.4325
(KJV-1611) And the earth was without forme, and voyd, and darkenesse was vpon the face of the deepe: and the Spirit of God mooued vpon the face of the waters.
(KJVA) And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
(KJVR) And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
(LITV) and the earth being without form and empty, and darkness on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God moving gently on the face of the waters,
(MKJV) And the earth was without form and empty. And darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved on the face of the waters.
(Rev. Webster+) And the earth776 was1961 [8804] without form8414, and void922; and darkness2822 was upon the face6440 of the deep8415. And the Spirit7307 of God430 moved7363 [8764] upon5921 the face6440 of the waters4325.
(RV) And the earth was waste and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep: and the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
(The Scriptures '98+) And the earth came to be1 formless and empty, and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of Elohim was moving on the face of the waters. Footnote: 1Or the earth became.
(Tyndale) The erth was voyde and emptie ad darcknesse was vpon the depe and the spirite of god moved vpon the water
(UPDV) And the earth was waste and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep: and the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
(Vulgate) terra autem erat inanis et vacua et tenebrae super faciem abyssi et spiritus Dei ferebatur super aquas
(Webster) And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep: and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
(WNT)
(YLT) the earth hath existed waste and void, and darkness is on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God fluttering on the face of the waters,

Words are like pictures- they are used to convey an idea- although different bibles may come from different manuscripts and have some very minor differences they all seem to paint the same picture- there are no real discrepencies- if you had no new testatment at all you could put togeather 99% of it just from letters written by early christians to one another, thats how much they loved God's Word. Old testamanet books were hand copied and each line was counted backwards and forwards- if not perfect they were discarded- archealogical eveidence backs up scripture and more is discovered all the time- I don't really see a problem with it's veracity. As far as the "flavours " of bibles I personally enjoy cross comparing as they don't argue with each other but rather compliment each other and bring out the fulness of the message- I don't rely totally on the opinions of others but I am not arogant enough to believe in 20 centuries of christendom that God has not seen fit to impart wisdom to brothers and sisters that can and does benefit me personally-
If you wish to do some studying and cross compare I always reccomend E-Sword, it is a freeware program with enourmous rescources- I currently have over a gigabyte of research tools at my fingertips with this program. While there are a few add ons that have a cost they aren't necessary unless you want them and the rest is available at no cost- here is a link to E-Sword:
http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html

I hope this helps in some small way- In His Name brother Larry

Back