Is 1000 year period from Revelations metaphorical?

Revelations 20

20 And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyssand holding in his hand a great chain. 2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.

4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge.And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They[a] had not worshiped the beastor its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection.6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second deathhas no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

My simple question is: Is the above all metaphorical?

Thanks

Revelations 20

20 And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyssand holding in his hand a great chain. 2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.

4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge.And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They[a] had not worshiped the beastor its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection.6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second deathhas no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

My simple question is: Is the above all metaphorical?

Thanks

I was once told by a great Christian teacher about Bible interpretations the blending or mixing of literal and signified things not seen . What we are prescribed is;. . without parables Christ the anointing teacher spoke not purposely hiding the spiritual eternal signified understanding of faith mixed with the literal temporal..

It sets up how we hear what the Spirit says to the churches. In that way not only did he inspire prophecy but also signified the things which come to pass. Using a legion of metaphors throughout

Revelation 1 King James Version (KJV)1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Those who looked to the literal and did not mix faith they did not receive the gospel rest. In that way parables help us to walk by faith after the unseen understanding.

Hebrews 4:2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

A good example of this working out in found in Luke 9. There Jesus presenting a series of parables to the apostles as an object lesson one right after another building toward the final understanding. hiding the understanding of each one untill Verse 55.

They remained confused and wondered what he was trying to say (not mixing what was heard or saw with faith )the eternal understanding according to the prescription for rightly dividing parables (2 Corinthians 4: 18 )

2 Corinthians 4: 18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

They decided one time to re-elect the head Rabbi . They must of thought Jesus the Son of man had went off the deep end from what is written (verse 46) Again and again he hid the spiritual meaning in the literal temporal .

On the last time they thought he was going to the Jews but rather went to the gentiles .They faithlessly demanded he bring down fire and consume them. The faithless out of sight out of mind the pagan foundation. Kill the mispercived competition a law of the fathers .

The object lesson learn to mix faith the signified understanding of parables. lean not on the literal understanding alone.

Luke 9:41-55 And Jesus answering said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you, and suffer you? Bring thy son hither. And as he was yet a coming, the devil threw him down, and tare him. And Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, and healed the child, and delivered him again to his father. And they were all amazed at the mighty power of God. But while they wondered every one at all things which Jesus did, he said unto his disciples,Let these sayings sink down into your ears: for the Son of man shall be delivered into the hands of men. But they understood not this saying, and it was hid from them, that they perceived it not: and they feared to ask him of that saying. 46 Then there arose a reasoning among them, which of them should be greatest. And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a child, and set him by him, And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us. And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem, And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him. And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem. And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. . . . .(faithless)

Hello Peki : Very possible because this letter is being written to seven churches, and when I hear about 1000 years : The scripture that comes to my mind is one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day with the Lord right? Now with this understanding.

This is being written to believers in 7 churches right? Now they would know what 1000 years meant, wouldn't they? It could have meant the same scripture that was shared: Thousand years being one day. So that one day would come.

This is my perception is that considering it is a letter being written to 7 churches in Asia minor, it had to be written in such a strong signs and metaphors because if anyone of the Roman Embassy got a hold of this letter and it just said WATCH OUT IT IS HAPPENING THE DESTRUCTION OF JERUSALEM IS COMING ALL WILL FALL, INCLUDING THAT OF THE ROMAN EMPEPROR NERO CEASER.

If a roman solider caught this letter, it seems as though... everything would be different... in my own opinion.

Or even if a pharisee caught wind of this letter and it was written more plainly than as it is skillfully written so it would be hard to understand however really do believe those believers there in 7 churches understood it completely.

The end was right there at the door.

Last edited:
We should do a ;iteral and plain meaning of ther text, taking into account the genres being used!

We look to the literal literature the letter of the law or what the eyes see. The whole bible in order to find the signified understanding of the parables.

Finding the hidden manna as to its understanding does not remove the historical accuracy it help us understand the purpose for God moving mankind in different times and seasons.

Remember the opening instruction in the first verse of Revelation1. Not only was it inspired but also signified.

Revelation 1 King James Version (KJV) The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Mixing the temporal things seen the word of God according to its letter with the unseen eternal law of faith.

The prescription below serves the purpose it was intended to do, reveal the unseen truth. If there is no mixing of faith interpreting the signified then we have not discovered the gospel and the rest that accompanies it.

2 Corinthians 4: 18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Jesus said. . Without parables Christ spoke not. All of the ceremonial laws are written as parables hiding the gospel understanding from natural unconverted mankind.

I would ask. What’s the fear of searching using the prescriptions for understanding parables he has given us in order to rightly divide the parables?

We look to the literal literature the letter of the law or what the eyes see. The whole bible in order to find the signified understanding of the parables.

Finding the hidden manna as to its understanding does not remove the historical accuracy it help us understand the purpose for God moving mankind in different times and seasons.

Remember the opening instruction in the first verse of Revelation1. Not only was it inspired but also signified.

Revelation 1 King James Version (KJV) The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Mixing the temporal things seen the word of God according to its letter with the unseen eternal law of faith.

The prescription below serves the purpose it was intended to do, reveal the unseen truth. If there is no mixing of faith interpreting the signified then we have not discovered the gospel and the rest that accompanies it.

Jesus said. . Without parables Christ spoke not. All of the ceremonial laws are written as parables hiding the gospel understanding from natural unconverted mankind.

I would ask. What’s the fear of searching using the prescriptions for understanding parables he has given us in order to rightly divide the parables?

Parables used to point out a major point by Lord Jesus, but we must read and understand and applyb the theology in the Epistles!

Which parables? Jesus spoke in parables to convey a message
that would be more concise and easier to grasp than a long
message that some may not understand anyway. A parable must
always have a message which usually evokes an 'aha moment'.
A parable must convey a message and the whole Bible cannot
be a metaphor or parable as we wouldn't have anything to compare
any parable to for truth because all Scripture would be one giant
parable that we could never understand. God is not the author of
confusion so I must blatantly reject the idea that the Bible is anything
but literal.

Which parables? Jesus spoke in parables to convey a message
that would be more concise and easier to grasp than a long
message that some may not understand anyway. A parable must
always have a message which usually evokes an 'aha moment'.
A parable must convey a message and the whole Bible cannot
be a metaphor or parable as we wouldn't have anything to compare
any parable to for truth because all Scripture would be one giant
parable that we could never understand. God is not the author of
confusion so I must blatantly reject the idea that the Bible is anything
but literal.
Even the parables were used to illustrate something real!

Back